Competition Suggestions

Sturgeon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, Toxn said:

Some new changes have improved how guns work, but we're not at the level of a full cartridge designer yet. Sprocket also habitually under-estimates vehicle mass by 10-15%, which I put down to more or less the same issues that we've encountered in our competitions.

I think it's functional enough to build a mini-competition around, though.

I found this on discord

https://discord.com/channels/788349365466038283/788350217304277013

slftzhisu5l71.png

Edited by T80U :DDDDDDDDDDD
I read the noobposting rules. There's the link.

3 hours ago, T80U :DDDDDDDDDDD said:

I'm on the discord and quizzed them about it a few months ago. I couldn't get a straight answer out of them on how they wanted to implement the cartridge/shell designer.

We'll just have to see how it plays out I guess.

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, Sturgeon said:

Next full comp, which will be no earlier than next year, will be a strike fighter competition.

So I finally got a copy of X-plane 11 (thanks steam sales!) and have been looking through the plane designer that comes with the game (https://developer.x-plane.com/manuals/planemaker/). 

Although I haven't fiddled around too much with it yet, it seems to be perfectly feasible to use it to design aircraft for competitions. I had hoped that we could run a competition using paper designs, select the finalists and then build and compare them in X-plane (saving everyone the hassle of all having a copy of the game in order to participate), but looking into the details of how the plane maker works this probably won't be possible.

16 hours ago, Toxn said:

So I finally got a copy of X-plane 11 (thanks steam sales!) and have been looking through the plane designer that comes with the game (https://developer.x-plane.com/manuals/planemaker/). 

Although I haven't fiddled around too much with it yet, it seems to be perfectly feasible to use it to design aircraft for competitions. I had hoped that we could run a competition on for paper designs, select the finalists and then build and compare them in X-plane (saving everyone the hassle of all having a copy of the game in order to participate), but looking into the details of how the plane maker works this probably won't be possible.

N
I

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Dominus Dolorem said:

If I may ask, how would one go about designing a plane and it's missiles?

Which simulation programs will be used?

The plan right now is to use X-plane, which is a flight simulator that includes a designer function. The designer also includes some stock weapons that you can add - but you can design missiles for it too.

The two issues are that X-plane is typically quite expensive to get a hold of, and the learning curve on the plane designer is steep.

5 hours ago, Toxn said:

The plan right now is to use X-plane, which is a flight simulator that includes a designer function. The designer also includes some stock weapons that you can add - but you can design missiles for it too.

The two issues are that X-plane is typically quite expensive to get a hold of, and the learning curve on the plane designer is steep.

Does it include aerodynamic simulation?

I have an older copy of X-plane on a disk, would that work?

52 minutes ago, Dominus Dolorem said:

Does it include aerodynamic simulation?

I have an older copy of X-plane on a disk, would that work?

That's what makes x-plane unique - it can perform basic aerodynamic simulations and extract a basic flight model out on its own.

IIRC, older X-plane models don't work in X-plane 10 or 11.