Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Dealing with declassified/classified/secret data

Laviduce

Yesterday I created a thread on the Steel Beasts forum that would address the protection characteristic of the  vehicles modelled in Steel Beasts. I included all kinds diagrams and images from various sources to back up my claims on various relevant vehicles.

One of the sources was information contained int the now somewhat notorious presentation on the Swedish Tank Trials labeled as Stridsfordon idag och morgon.

As you might know, this information contains images/diagrams that have been labelled "secret".   After putting some effort into creating this post , it was deleted because it contained this "secret" information. Although I was/am under the impression that just deleting or sanitizing the "secret" diagram(s) should have done the trick, I can fully understand that the owner wants to be rather save than sorry because of potential legal liabilities and further complications.

What happened next irked me a bit , to say the least. A person who will remain nameless, *cough* Gibsonm *cough*, who seems to serve in the Australian armored corps, who is a regular on the Steel Beasts forum informed us that he has to report any leaks containing classified/declassified information that have the words "secret" on it.  Any incident he will inform the respective nations military attache in Australia about the leak.  That includes the military attaches of the US, UK, Russia, China and any other countries information.  It does not matter if these documents were leaked or declassified, he will have to report the leak to the proper authorities.

Here is the conversation about the removal of the thread: https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12504-about-that-deleted-thread/

What happened toward the end of the thread just takes the cake, IMHO. 

Another forum member posted a link to the War Thunder Challenger 1 historical reference thread to make a point: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/419818-datasheet-challenger-historical-references/

I quipped that his post technically violated the updated Forum rules and that it could get deleted.

The nameless Australian individual had this to say about the link and my comment about "santizing" the diagrams:

Well I would suggest you remove the URL from you post as you are basically telling other people where to find it.

I'll send the paperwork off as I'm not worried about giving Gajin the benefit of the doubt (and apparently its already been in the Swedish press - "Why are Swedish Secrets on Russian web sites?", or words to that effect).

and

You editing the label in no way "sanitises" the information.

The idea is not to cover the label and then post it. The idea is not to post it in the first place.

How will the Sturgeon's house deal with situations such as this?   Technically if any of you guys are posting this information on here , the nameless individual will have to report it. This also includes any previous and future diagrams that have the words "secret" on it from any nation even if they are declassified.  Technically these diagrams might all have to be removed.

I am all about a sensible degree of OPSEC but the behavior of this nameless Australian officer is a bit "rich" to put it mildly. 

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

If you broke the rules on another forum is this really the place to complain about it?

The forum rules were not broken , they were updated because of me posting some diagrams that were labelled "secret". This affects all classified information not just classified information on one forum. 

25 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

The forum rules were not broken , they were updated because of me posting some diagrams that were labelled "secret". This affects all classified information not just classified information on one forum. 

It effects one forum.

7 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

It effects one forum.

Let me quote the guy:

You are assuming I read it though as that would be in breach of the forum rules and presumably someone would just remove the post (or maybe delete your account if you did it often enough).

I don't care about if its been published elsewhere or not - that is the owning country's issue, not mine.

My requirement to report such breaches when I see them (or know about them). So in your case, if you post something here and say "this is from XWZ forum" I just include in my report the URL to here and mention that you said it was posted on XWZ forum too.

Basically, regardless of the country, you aren't allowed to post that type of document.

2 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

Let me quote the guy:

So if I posted a diagram of the turret traverse mechanism of a PzKfwVI,  carrying the large stamp "Geheim!", this guy would rush to his time machine to inform the Gestapo?

I'll load up the Vickers in anticipation..

7 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

And?

you aren't allowed to post that type of document.

7 minutes ago, Krieger22 said:

So I guess all those photos of damaged Abrams revealing their armor internal layouts are verboten now?

And the DoD is going to slowly scrape the internet clean of them? That seems implausible.

Technically yes on the first part.

1 minute ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Lol we should spam the steel beasts forum with doc with "SECRET " added just to fuck with this idiot. 

Imagine being the guy up the chain of command the moron reports too.

That ‘below the turret ring’ link I posted has several (7, I counted) pictures explicitly labeled ‘secret’, and a couple leaked Chinese armor arrays for good measure ;) 

I will no longer share any information on the Steel Beasts forum or with any person directly affiliate with that site.  I also do not want any of my diagrams shared on that site or anyone from that site because some of my diagrams will include or will be derived from information that will have come from declassified/classified/leaked data that might or might not have been labelled "secret" in one way or another.  I hope that overzealous douchebags such as that Australian will not be given any power or influence over the Sturgeon's House forum and that characters such as him will be kept away from having a say in the less restricted forums and websites. Anywhere I go online and/or offline, I try to keep my bull**** to an absolute minimum and I hope the other side will do the same.