Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Turkish airstrikes on Syrian AFVs

Marsh

On You Tube there is a lengthy series of clips of Turkish airstrikes on Syrian AFVs, transporters the odd bridge etc. Mainly tanks being taken out. The video is of an exceptionally high standard high. I don't recollect anything as clear as this being released by other air forces.

See -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3f0N-mJsbI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1bwjJLqL9AJOpo9dGiVbZDXK5iXeUXMSZZqoWbSKArDc8ROQzKzL7dNqQ

Cheers

Marsh

Sure most of that is indeed from Syria however we shall not rule out that part of the footage is also from Libya. In another video released by Turkish mod they claim to destroy SAA Pantsir while the vehicle on the video looks like UAE MAN-based variant used in Libya and Yemen only. 

3 hours ago, Marsh said:

The video is of an exceptionally high standard high. I don't recollect anything as clear as this being released by other air forces.

Indeed, I aw this video dozen times and sevral things are interesting:

1) Some shoots are from Lybia not Syria (Pantsir for example)

2) Definetly this compilantion was made from video taken form more then one whole week

3) SAA tactis not in FEBA area  is shity, AA defens on small unit level is shit, not even mentioned about camouflage, mockups etc. Tehre is exatly nothing like this.

4) Many, to many hits are in  IR hot region of tanks or SPH's  - 2S1 and 2S3. Hit's in upper engine comperments are possible in two ways:

- first- using this ciute: https://www.roketsan.com.tr/en/product/mam-l-smart-micro-munition/?fbclid=IwAR0gG-_9K7V9p0Ga1t1VmX7mjslu6FoseB_7PN9Jud16_nCWn1dEAxn5jho

it's SAL guided so there is possible thet some sort of autotracer is targeting the most contrast region of IFV/SPH's -in other viideo parts tehere is pure visible SAL guidence on soilders group.

- second - maybe this: https://www.roketsan.com.tr/en/urun/umtas-uzun-menzilli-tanksavar-fuzesi/

is integrated whit drones whit pure thermal quindence

Whathever - many hit's are not terminall kills and  im preatty sure that 25-30% hit's on this video in to tanks are not tottal loss. 

SAA spent 9 years fighting an enemy without air force. It looks like they simply completely resigned on any AA defence in the field units because what actually was attacked by air force in the past (mostly by IAF) was not the frontline units. Also since I guess that the drones fly around 5000+ meters and the useful assest against them are mostly deployed to defend againts Israeli strikes. What is more surprising is why they don't use airfoce at all? For what do they have those MiG-29 and MiG-23 which can shoot those drones easily? Those drones often fly with transponders on and can be seen even on public flightradar. 

This is one of the T-72M1 hit by the drone attack. It doesn't look like a total loss to me but I am no expert at all. I guess the bigger issue for SAA is that due to the counter attack a lot of that damaged hardware stayed in now enemy territory. 

By the way there are plenty of S-60 guns in SAA units. Do You think that if someone knows how to properly operate them (and has the right ammo) he can shoot down a very slow and non-maneuvering aircraft flying at 5000 meters? I guess it shall not be impossible, or? 

5km is approx 16000 ft. At that altitude, good luck hitting anything without a fire director.

In WW2 manual aiming was used only for short range close in air defence, anything longer ranged than a Bofors 40mm was directed, and even those got mk 51 directors by 1944. The need to accurately calculate lead and drop on a moving target is essential, unless the target is within tracer range- typically less than 5k yd.