Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. The Captain and I just got through watching the Netflix movie “The Highwaymen” based on the story of Texas Ranger Frank Hamer and his pursuit and ambush of Bonnie and Clyde which stars Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson.

It is worth the watch.

The film completely strips away the veneer respectability and romanticism surrounding Bonnie and Clyde, fueled by contemporary press accounts and the latter Hollywood movie from the 1960s.

The Highwaymen is gritty and real and historically accurate - as much as a film can be - with the production team having a keen eye for detail with props, costumes, and use of the appropriate cars and firearms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is awful

160k likes by Sonic weirdo fans vs 250k dislikes, kek.

I actually WANT eggman to kill sonic now

This isn't a movie you make in 2019. This is a movie you make in 1998 and apologize for on the commentary track in 2002.

Watched today The Avengers: It is finally over.

It wasn't good. 3 hours long movie that is basically a remix of previous Avenger movie inside of scenes and locations from all previous Avenger films. In first 15 minutes i thought that they are going in some new directions, but they didn't - Tanos was revived and movie follows same bits as previous one (find stones before Tanos!). On top of that this movie was full of cliche/overused trops and forced drama scenes. 

List of things i didn't liked in Avengers: Boring edition.

•  Bloated. 3 hours long movie could be shaken a bit and lose like 30 minutes of crap without changing anything in scenario/plot/script.
  •  Rare flat humour. After 3rd Thor film and Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 humour in this movie was very shallow and dumb at times.
  • Rather boring fight scenes. Most of fight scenes are not creative in their execution, place, actions, etc.
  • Direction is bland - there are no really memorable fight/action scenes. Just shower of dead pirates in Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 easily tops almost any scene in final Avengers.
  • Black Panther showed up. I hate this "character", his voice (both of "original" and text-to-voice programm that was used in Russian translation) and almost everything connected to him because of exposure to Black Panther movie.
  • Captain Marvel showed up. This super hero is flat and is basically a walking plot hole.
  • Thor became flat character, again.
  • Forced Drama. FORCED DRAMA DID YOU HEAR SAD MUSIC IS PLAYING YOU STUPID VIEWER CRY NOW!
  • Bland obvious music.
  • Most of characters have no chemistry between them. Most of dialogues are grey/bland. Interesting things could be done with Tin can Man and Captain Murica, but scenario was put through blandinator 9000 to flatten any serious development of dynamics between those 2.
  • Scenes with people talking are flat and uninterestingly done. Shot/reverse shot with Captain American Vatnik heroically staring into walls somewhere to the side of camera.
  • CGI overload in the end. John Wick 3, saves us from overly busy CGI fight scenes!

• 2 weeks later...

Watched John Wick 3: Son of Belarus. 2+ hours long action film that i would rate about 6-7/10 vs John Wick 2 that for me was something like 8 or 9/10.

john-wick-3-trailer.jpg

Chapter 3 is longer (2+ hours) and less serious than previous movies, goes into comedy action in several places, which is not very good IMO as it defletes tension of situation. I liked few not serious/joke scenes in 2nd movie and it was closer to perfect balance for me than what i saw in Chapter 3.

Several action scenes feels like they were done not as well as in 2nd movie, execution and cinematogrophy at times drops below what it should have been, so in few moments you realise that you are watching a flat shot of 3 man asses lying on the ground, with somewhere behing human bottoms hands being visible, flailing around between each ass. Hand to hand fights at times are way too long, making each kick or punch feel less important as characters are punching each other 100s of times. Gun fights in several scenes are also less cool both because of movie uses more actors/characters to take away attention from John (all of which are not as good with weapon in their hands as Keanu) and because of what i felt like less tight direction in some of parts of film. 

Locations in few places are also *nearly* repeated from previous movies that felt not so fresh as last time. There are also locations that were shown in a way that i lost spatial orientation. For example night club fight in previous movie was better shot and edited, location was relatable, space was understandable, CQB allowed for combination of shooting and punching, serious tone and main character being hurt/nearly defeated by big mook gave a tension to whole scene. In 3rd movie because of combination of not so serious tone and less tight execution of scenes/direction enjoyment of action is below of what it could have been.

f314e8d5a510f0f88efc8eb8e9b2d263c977131d.jpg?mw=600

Although it should be sayed that in few action parts of John Wick 3 directors managed to improve - for example "multi-layered" fight when Keanu and Halle Berry characters worked together to fight through a hotel was made rather well, but i didn't find Halle Berry's "fighting"-acting abilities to be as good as Keanu's. Humour on its own was in most cases grounded and intergrated well into movie with few non-glaring exceptions. 

john-wick-3-jw3_d07_02224_rc_rgb.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

I would recommend it to watch for those who want to simply have good time and some laughs watching probably one of best action movies of this year (so far), but don't expect much from story. Don't show it to impressionable peeople, few *unpleasant* short scenes/shots will make them uncomfortable. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So i finally watched Neil Breen's latest "movie" - Twisted Pair. It is bad. Really bad. But IMO not as bad as hi 1st (Double Down) and 4th (Pass thru) films. Somewhere between FF and "I am here..................................................................................................................................................................now" in terms of mind-twisting capabilities. I highly recommend it for terrible trash films lovers. 

0pqzohufd1r21.png

594f12c7-2a51-4ac7-a59a-65f0721f955a.png?width=780&height=520&rect=2442x1628&offset=259x0

• 2 weeks later...

Technical review of Le chant du Loup (The Wolf's call on Netflix):

Obviously contains a lot of spoilers

Spoiler

There're some other stuff (like you won't try to intercept a ballistic missile with an Exocet) but overall that was what the movie was good at, immersion and somewhat accurate depiction of sub warfare.

The plot was a bit over the top as some points and some lines were cheesy but in the end I had a good time watching it and would recommend it.

I recommend to watch it in VO with subtitles in order to get all the slang used in the navy.