Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

Some more images of the desert variant K2 in Oman as well as a higher resolution photo of the image LooSeR posted. Sadly images of the K2 in Oman are fairly rare, there are plenty pictures of a demonstration desert variant displayed during defense expos. I'll get around to posting some of those later.

6bkJANV.jpg

Spoiler

Cd8M58p.jpg

UtR587j.jpg

Pu7cHu3.jpg

On 12/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, Cleb said:

Two 1/8th scale models by the Agency for Defense Development on the "development of armored vehicles for infantry fighting". 

"Type 1": 25 tons, amphibious, 30mm cannon

ffZ9GYB.jpg

"Type 2": 30 tons, not amphibious, 35mm cannon, equipped with ATGMs

vLxqZHQ.jpg

The second one in particular reminds me extremely heavily of the Type 89 and Desert Warrior.

Not a vehicle specifically but a component for the then competing Samsung Techwin MPV was this "unique" RWS that was equipped with a K4 AGL and three assumed Panzerfaust 3 rocket launchers, albeit mocked up. These pictures were taken at a 2009 defense expo though this specific configuration of RWS was to my knowledge never seen, or at least had photos taken of it, after this event.

zXJesju.jpg

Spoiler

8hEDTiJ.jpg

KSPbYay.jpg

f2s9QGk.jpg

DyagI1Q.jpg

aHsUudz.jpg

Just a few pics of some of the overseas deployment of the K200.

Evergreen Unit, East Timor, 1999. About 20 were sent over for local security though due to the situation being more stable than expected they were withdrawn fairly quick.

l6CHsFf.jpg

Spoiler

aCh8CpA.jpg

CsFRooS.jpg

6WRtgR2.jpg

Zaytun Division. These K200s were deployed as apart of the peacekeeping force South Korea sent to Erbil, Iraq, not sure about how many were sent over though.

DPnKQK4.jpg

Spoiler

47c5v4s.jpg

JyCxRa9.jpg

DvORlvg.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 1:18 AM, Cleb said:

ROK T-80Us of the 3rd Armored Bigrade conducting live fire training at a firing range in Yangpyeong. The album these pictures were uploaded to is dated sometime around 2019.

Excellent pictures! 

Do you have any information about how korean soldiers like the T-80U? I read opinions that they really like these tanks, others say that the T-80 is an unreliable piece of junk... But sadly, these are barely more than gossip. What do you think, which is closer to the truth? 

2 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Excellent pictures! 

Do you have any information about how korean soldiers like the T-80U? I read opinions that they really like these tanks, others say that the T-80 is an unreliable piece of junk... But sadly, these are barely more than gossip. What do you think, which is closer to the truth? 

I really haven't heard too much from the tankers of the 3rd Armored Bigrade themselves but from what I have seen I err more on the side of mixed as far as how the T-80Us are received by the soldiers. Reason being the shortage of parts (though not complete lack of parts) and relatively high amount of mechanical issues probably in response to not being maintained as much as they should.

Sorry that I can't give a more definitive answer, though maybe if I can chat with someone in the 3rd Armored Bigrade we can revisit this.

17 hours ago, Cleb said:

Sorry that I can't give a more definitive answer, though maybe if I can chat with someone in the 3rd Armored Bigrade we can revisit this.

Yes, that would be awesome! 

Also I heard some gossip that the T-80 was rated better ergonomically than the K1, being a bit roomier inside. Would be good to know about this too. :)