Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

A quick reverse image search does suggest the first posting is from a Korean forum on April 1st 2020.

The inclusion of the PG-7VR in the same list as PG-7V also raises an eyebrow.

On the other hand, I have never seen those particular testing pics before, and it's not like marketing can't do sloppy work too.

Does anyone have those images from another source?

3 hours ago, eggs benedict said:

I Thought the gun was german. Why is there a consent between these gun manufacturers that 55 calibers is the best length?

Unsure about if the gun is Korean modified or not, but as for why L/55 is a standard is because anything longer than that and the gas starts to lose efficiency. Between pressure lost through small gaps, friction on the sabot, and the explosive reaction being complete and no new energy being inputted, anything past 55 calibers means you start to lose energy.

1 hour ago, Atokara said:

Unsure about if the gun is Korean modified or not, but as for why L/55 is a standard is because anything longer than that and the gas starts to lose efficiency. Between pressure lost through small gaps, friction on the sabot, and the explosive reaction being complete and no new energy being inputted, anything past 55 calibers means you start to lose energy.

Okay thank you for the clarification

15 hours ago, Atokara said:

That is not the case. The 55 caliber barrel was originally selected in Germany for its size (larger guns becoming unwieldly) and because it met the desired performance. The 130 mm L/51 and 140 mm L/48 guns (incl. muzzle brake) have the same effective barrel length.

It is possible to make a L/60 or L/70 gun and still keep decent efficiency (while gaining considerable performance), it just is harder to integrate such a gun into an existing turret/turret ring diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=rgm84d&logNo=222051194115&navType=tl

Hyundai Rotem seems to be taking a page out of the Polish handbook with their newest MBT concept. I dont understand the idea behind building a super tank on paper only for it to never actually happen and the designing company to come out the other end with worse off brand reputation afterwards. The K2 is one of my favorite MBTs so to see H R roll out with a project overtaking the PL01 in fantasy BS is a little disappointing as I would expect better than this empty marketing from them.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:05 AM, Atokara said:

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=rgm84d&logNo=222051194115&navType=tl

Hyundai Rotem seems to be taking a page out of the Polish handbook with their newest MBT concept. I dont understand the idea behind building a super tank on paper only for it to never actually happen and the designing company to come out the other end with worse off brand reputation afterwards. The K2 is one of my favorite MBTs so to see H R roll out with a project overtaking the PL01 in fantasy BS is a little disappointing as I would expect better than this empty marketing from them.

The author literally says it's from Israel's Carmel program. Wonder if they're going to use Israeli brains and what not or try to indigenize all of the technologies.