Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

Recent article about Hyundai Rotem’s efforts to secure the contract for the next Norwegian MBT.

A brief summary:

Spoiler

The contract is set to be awarded in late 2022. There will be trials in Norway the coming winter.

There are more industrial incentives on the table compared to a year ago. Apart from driveline, main gun, sights, auto-loader and suspension, which will be shipped in from South Korea, the production of the tanks and its components will take place in Norway.

Norwegian partnership in the K2 upgrade program and the  K3 program is also a possibility.

There are some details on how future K2NO could look like. Some of these are obvious, like Kongsberg RWS, Integrated Combat Solution and programmable ammunition from NAMMO. It also mentions an APU and a more powerful heating system. Lastly, it says that an APS, either Iron Fist or Trophy, is on the table if Norway wants this option.

The article also mentions that there could be possible synergies between a Norwegian K2 fleet and Polish one, e.g. production of spares.

I see this more as disadvantages. New stuff like APS, APU and GSE (RWS, ICS etc.) is already part of Leopard 2 design (no risk) but NOR would be first user if they go with K2 in that direction getting to know the child sicknesses.

Biggest advantage is still lower weight for heavy snow.

That is something that the army may be concerned about, but they’re not the only ones who can influence the decision makers. Getting the industry on their side is also the best play Hyundai Rotem can make IMO, as it’s almost certainly going to be more decisive to the outcome of this process than the K2 possibly being more mobile in the deep snow than the Leo 2A7.

12 hours ago, Laser Shark said:

That is something that the army may be concerned about, but they’re not the only ones who can influence the decision makers. Getting the industry on their side is also the best play Hyundai Rotem can make IMO, as it’s almost certainly going to be more decisive to the outcome of this process than the K2 possibly being more mobile in the deep snow than the Leo 2A7.

Industry reasons are relevant if you can produce all spare parts in Norway.

As Hyundai says they will still produce the core components in Korea which means you can wait a lifetime for spares while waiting to get your powerpack maintained whereas you can do the same for your Leopard 2 engine at dozens of companies or ask your neighbors to borrow some spares.

I think it is smart to push KMW into a position to do local work and involve local companies for assembly, cables and stuff like that.

But in the end military reasons should be more important than industry support.

From statements that have been made by various Norwegian politicians, I’m very much left with the impression that getting the best possible deal for the industry is number one priority for a lot of them.

That doesn’t mean that the K2 is guaranteed to win as long as Hyundai Rotem make sure that their industrial incentives are better than KMW’s. There are more factors at play here, and some of them are working against the K2. Chief among these is the fact that South Korea is not a NATO member and that Norway risks ending up as the sole European user since a Polish K2 order is not a certain deal yet.

But if there is a route to victory for the K2, I strongly believe it’s through the support of the Norwegian industry, and for that you need to put as many Norwegian components as possible into the tank, even if it entails more risk.

Hard to say anything in that context except that I don't get it.

As far as I know Poland will aquire Leo 1 and Leo 2 vehicles this year with no sign of K1/K2. Maybe there will be a K2PL but it won't be fast. 

Even the Brits noticed that having their own single tank is not too smart and moved as close towards Leo 2 as they could (without doing political suicide). 

2 hours ago, Laser Shark said:

Chief among these is the fact that South Korea is not a NATO member and that Norway risks ending up as the sole European user since a Polish K2 order is not a certain deal yet.

But if one of them were to choose the K2, it would make it an easier decision for the other. I wonder if there have been any talks between Poland and Norway regarding their next MBT, considering they have essentially the same choices. 

I prefer Hyundai Rotem mainly because KMW already has a practical monopoly over most NATO member tanks (Leclerc is expensive, Challenger is a piece of shit, and Ariete has yet to leave Italy). Would be nice to shake that up. 

IMHO the Polish deal is the only chance for K2 to break into EU because it is itself large enough to justify building a factory there. Once such factory exists more European customers will definitely join but without Poland the other possible deals for K2 are too small in my opinion. 

19 hours ago, Rico said:

Industry reasons are relevant if you can produce all spare parts in Norway.

As Hyundai says they will still produce the core components in Korea which means you can wait a lifetime for spares while waiting to get your powerpack maintained whereas you can do the same for your Leopard 2 engine at dozens of companies or ask your neighbors to borrow some spares.

I think it is smart to push KMW into a position to do local work and involve local companies for assembly, cables and stuff like that.

But in the end military reasons should be more important than industry support.

This is not a real issue, you just have a bigger spare stockpile in-nation, sufficient to last a month or two.

In case of non-WW3 emergencies, air cargo exists. And in a WW3 situation, the Norwegians have far worse things to worry about than how long their local spare K2 parts stockpile would last.

Let's wait and see then. I have been told that FFG is including lots of weight reduction measures and I guess that Leo 2 will do some sports to loose weight as well. 

Looking forward to hear the outcome of upcoming vintertests. 
So if K2 outperforms Leo 2 I will appologize for my critic but don't blame me for being the one joking if Norway is the only one operating a orphant tank in 2030.

Büffel is a Bergepanzer 3 (Leo2 chassis) but they got some Bergepanzer 2 (Leo1 chassis) for their Leo 2A4 (leasing to train Leo2 until Leo 2A7 arrive).

Poland got 28 Bergepanzer 2 when they got Leo2A4 and 2A5 from Germany. Seems like they need some more power for those and upgrade them.

Hungary indends to use Buffel for Lynx and Wisent 2 for Leopard 2A7.

No idea why since Lynx has much lesser weight than Buffel/Wisent2.

Assume they got the Buffels for free in the Lynx deal since Wisent 2 was ordered a year upfront.

6 hours ago, DIADES said:

Really???  Leopard 1??

Nothing strange about it. NATO is still using a lot of them - not MBTs but ARVs, BARV, AEVs, AVLBs etc.

Denmark, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latwia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands and Germany have hundreds still in service (just to name a few countries I am certain about).