Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

COMPETITION Steel Chariot of The Prairie: The Lone Free State's First Battle Tank (2247)

Sturgeon

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Nobody's using turbines right? I didn't mention it in this thread yet, nor update the range calculator, but there's an 0.7 times modifier on range for turbines.

Is the Lone state of Texas even able to produce high heat reistant alloys for turbine vanes? 

6 hours ago, Toxn said:

Something to note: with the change in ME/TE of HHA, textolite is now the supreme form of non-reactive armour. Build your arrays accordingly.

It shouldn’t, because the textolite ME/TE was for 260-300 bhn armor, not 360 bhn armor. 

I've decided on a nickname for my vehicle: Brahman. 

RJksl00.png

Just some updates: 

• added sponsons 
  • reduced turret roof height by 6 inches 
  • increased barrel length to 32 calibers and breach counterweight (it is no longer "balanced", but I think I have a work around)
  • reduced upper front and roof plate thickness to 0.8 inches (20mm)
  • revised some geometry, to reduce weight (currently at 28.45 tons)

What would be a "good weight" for my engine? I have it currently modelled as 3.5 tons (3180 kg), including the liquid cooling and transmission. It's a 12 cylinder, 6.9 inch (175mm) bore by 7.1 inch (180mm) stroke, 1000hp engine based off the MB 838. 

26 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

I've decided on a nickname for my vehicle: Brahman. 

RJksl00.png

Just some updates: 

• added sponsons 
  • reduced turret roof height by 6 inches 
  • increased barrel length to 32 calibers and breach counterweight (it is no longer "balanced", but I think I have a work around)
  • reduced upper front and roof plate thickness to 0.8 inches (20mm)
  • revised some geometry, to reduce weight (currently at 28.45 tons)

What would be a "good weight" for my engine? I have it currently modelled as 3.5 tons (3180 kg), including the liquid cooling and transmission. It's a 12 cylinder, 6.9 inch (175mm) bore by 7.1 inch (180mm) stroke, 1000hp engine based off the MB 838. 

That sounds about right. A decent transmission will be 2000 kg or so

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

That sounds about right. A decent transmission will be 2000 kg or so

I was thinking more along the lines of a beefed up Sherman transmission, preferably the "high speed reverse transmission" (mid-way down the page)

#33 The Sherman Of The Future: Advanced Sherman UpGrades That Almost Made It Into Production. | The Sherman Tank Site

But yeah, my components are too light, should be closer to 4 tons, the normal MB 838 is nearly 2 tons dry. 

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a beefed up Sherman transmission, preferably the "high speed reverse transmission" (mid-way down the page)

#33 The Sherman Of The Future: Advanced Sherman UpGrades That Almost Made It Into Production. | The Sherman Tank Site

But yeah, my components are too light, should be closer to 4 tons, the normal MB 838 is nearly 2 tons dry. 

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a105411.pdf

On 5/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, Sturgeon said:

Nobody's using turbines right? I didn't mention it in this thread yet, nor update the range calculator, but there's an 0.7 times modifier on range for turbines.

I'm sticking with a forced induction diesel V-12, although the option of a turbine is interesting and may be compelling given the climatic conditions in the northern areas of Texan territory, a la the Russian Federation use of T-80 in their far northern areas. That being said, the 2240 cubic inch 60-degree diesel V-12 makes sufficient power when the specific power output of the AVDS-1790 is considered that it is more than sufficient for a vehicle of the protection and armament I am working with.

Also, as a solution to the loader situation, I'll be bringing an autoloaded 5"/48 gun in a welded box turret. 

@N-L-M What's the L:D permissible for steel DS penetrators?