Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Harry Yeide Interview

Walter_Sobchak

Last week I spent an hour or so on the phone with Harry Yeide, author of several books on US Armor in WW2.  For those interested in reading the interview, you can find it at the links posted below.  

Interview with Harry Yeide – Part 1: US Armor in World War II

Interview with Harry Yeide – Part 2: Fighting Patton

I remember first hearing about the book on the Axis strategic thinking in 2012 from OTT.  I'm very happy to hear that work is progressing on it, it really does sound like a must-read.

Great interview!  I'm glad someone was being productive while the rest of us were trolling the WOT forums.

The degree to which popular histories rely on secondary sources is always a little frightening.

I remember first hearing about the book on the Axis strategic thinking in 2012 from OTT.  I'm very happy to hear that work is progressing on it, it really does sound like a must-read.

Great interview!  I'm glad someone was being productive while the rest of us were trolling the WOT forums.

The degree to which popular histories rely on secondary sources is always a little frightening.

To be honest, I have been spending very little time these days in the WoT forums.   

What I am most interested in is this cadre of IJN officers who were apparently spoiling for a fight with the USA since the 1920s.  What on Earth were they thinking?!

They were probably thinking they were operating under the old school model where proving they weren't worth knocking over in a battle or two would get them regional hegemony. They probably weren't thinking about how they were facing Russia in the previous experience, a country which has literally the worst naval geography in the world.

So I dropped this new Nova Bomb on Planet P (otherwise known as Paradox Forum) and am waiting to see the reaction to the reality that even in the indie tank battalions casualties actually dropped dramatically once they got some experience.

I hope they're all right. I don't think they're equipped to handle evidence that water's wet.

They were probably thinking they were operating under the old school model where proving they weren't worth knocking over in a battle or two would get them regional hegemony. They probably weren't thinking about how they were facing Russia in the previous experience, a country which has literally the worst naval geography in the world.

I hope they're all right. I don't think they're equipped to handle evidence that water's wet.

There's still a bunch of demo-mods there who are still pretending that the 5:1 Sherman-Panther ratio is real but they seem to be getting steadily ground down now that the rest of the forum has realized that HOI4 need not be a "Germany can win!" narrative maker.

Or they could allow Germany to do wargames as historical so they start the war with experienced units, giving the edge in their early campaigns, but an edge that can be eroded and other nations can catch up with.

Ya know, like actually happened.

But having an experience edge that can be eroded like that won't allow the Wermacht to march on Washington DC in 1946!

Then stop getting your little digi-fritzchens dead!

It is fatiguing to kill the enemy at 5 to 1 and 10-1 odds. Particularly when you're so busy laughing maniacally as shells bounce off your armor that you're not paying enough attention as one slips up from behind to stab shoot you in the back like some cowardly Jew.

Or they could allow Germany to do wargames as historical so they start the war with experienced units, giving the edge in their early campaigns, but an edge that can be eroded and other nations can catch up with.

Ya know, like actually happened.

You mean like in 1939 when their officers got all their troops slaughtered at Wizna?

B)

You mean like in 1939 when their officers got all their troops slaughtered at Wizna?

B)

Look, sometimes people make rookie mistakes, like letting Polish cavalry charge their tanks (such as at Mokra), and having troops who are a bit more practiced isn't going to make assaulting a fixed position easier.