Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Destruction of History By Barbarians

While the rest of the kids in the Middle East are destroying priceless pieces of history, it seems the Egyptian government is eager to expand their monopoly on functioning Ancient Wonders of the World.

Alexandria Lighthouse to be reassembled in original location

It'll probably be more of a tourist trap and nationalist symbol than anything relating to the original structure outside the facade if it survives developmental hell. Color me skeptical, but I would be extremely glad to be absolutely wrong.

The Greeks look like they will do a good job replicating the "snake column" at Delphi, so there's that too. 

It'll probably be more of a tourist trap and nationalist symbol than anything relating to the original structure outside the facade if it survives developmental hell. Color me skeptical, but I would be extremely glad to be absolutely wrong.

The Greeks look like they will do a good job replicating the "snake column" at Delphi, so there's that too. 

Tourism has been Egypt's bread and butter for well over a century. I'm wondering how many of the original blocks and pieces will be incorporated into the new lighthouse, assuming this project is ever finished.

I didn't know that about the Greeks at Delphi.

Tourists only care about certain structures. The Pharos will just suck funding away from actual archeological sights. According to Abdel Halim Nour Eddin, the chairman of Egyptian Antiquities Organization, about 96% of archeological sites in Egypt are pretty much shit and tourists only want to know if the Jews built the pyramids.

I'd post a link, but mobile sucks.

In many ways it's like that the world over. Go to any major city and there are the handful of key tourist traps that suck up the majority of the attention. Everyone wants to get their picture taken at the Pyramids or the Eiffel Tower or Stonehenge or the Space Needle and do the same thing that everyone else has done before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...