Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Merkava, Israel's Chieftain?

Life_In_Black

• 3 weeks later...

Question to the Israeli tank rivet-counting experts; do Sho't Kals have an L7 or an M68?  The pictures I've seen seem to show an eccentric bore evacuator, which would lead me to believe it's an M68.

Did t

hey ever have L7s, or did they go straight from 20 pounders to M68s?

Hi, 

To the best of my knowledge, all the Shot Kals were fitted with L7s and not M68s. I don't know of any examples of the Shot Kal, be they conversions of Centurion MKs 3, 5 or 7, that were fitted with the M68.

Having said that, in the wacky world of IDF tank uprgrades, which tend to be done in relatively small batches, it is not impossible if unlikely, any Shot Kal received the M68.

Cheers

Marsh

Shot Kals were upgraded to 105mm before 1973, meaning they had those before the US first started sending aid and selling arms. UK was still the major supplier at the time, so it wouldn't make much sense to try and buy an M68 when L7 are readily available with similar performance.

Upgrades of Israeli Centurions to the 105mm L7 started in February of 1963.  

Hi,

Walter is right. Centurions started to convert to the L7 in the early 1960s. The Shot Kal programme, which replaced the original engine and transmission etc, as well as the gun (for those tanks not already converted to the 105 mm weapon), started after some delay in 1970.

Not all tanks had been converted to the Shot Kal standard by 1973, but all, as far as I know, all had the 105mm L7 by October 1973.

Cheers

Marsh

Like the beefed up side skirts .....

Now I know what this beast was intended for (Casualty evacuation apparently)., I must say it' a bloody silly design. Surely converting one of the many mothballed Merkava IIs, would have made more sense. Rear hatch etc for bringing in stretchers.

Like the beefed up side skirts .....

Now I know what this beast was intended for (Casualty evacuation apparently)., I must say it' a bloody silly design. Surely converting one of the many mothballed Merkava IIs, would have made more sense. Rear hatch etc for bringing in stretchers.

The project was cancelled. It started in 2014 when the ground forces needed cheap, armored evacuation vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...