Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Lets talk TV Shows

Tonight I was bored and googled "best TV shows ever."  The top two lists that showed up were for the best 30 and best 50 TV shows ever.  Neither list included M*A*S*H. 

To whoever wrote those lists, I say go fuck yourself.  MASH was TV at its finest.  I've been binge watching it now that it's on netflix.  

For TV right now, Arrow, The Flash and Marvel's Agents of SHEILD is what has my attention.

My priority TV wise is Agents of SHEILD, as it is creatively controlled by the Joss. Also, whoever is responsible for the current MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) direction should be made CEO and be responsible for a crapton of more decisions.   Because brilliance.  

Didn't like MASH?  Honestly, I'm surprised.   Oh well, to each their own.

Nah. Never was a big fan. I didn't like Seinfeld or Friends either. However, I try not to be obnoxious when I dislike a choice mad by the majority of Americans.

The wife and I are catching up on a number of series on Netflix and Hulu. But in terms of our live (or mostly live) television viewing, Grimm is our must-see TV. This is followed by Sleepy Hollow which has sadly deteriorated mid-season after they inexplicably had the season finale halfway through the season.

Magnum PI was the best show of the 80s. FACT. 

Check list of awesomeness.

Awesome theme song. Check.

Exotic location? Check.

Helicopters. Check.

Footage of exotic location from Helicopter. Check.

Fast cars. Check.

Guns. Check.

Mustache. Check.

Cars exploding. Check.

1980s babes in bikinis. Check.

Tom Selleck mugging for the camera. Check.

Eccentric foreigner. Check.

Eccentric foreigner abusing Americans. Check.

Eccentric foreigner in a greenhouse showing how American the protagonist is. Check.

More helicopter footage. Check.

Cool black sidekick. Check.

1980s camera technology. Check.

White, playboy sidekick. Check.

1980s fashion. Check.

Underwater scuba fight. Check.

Even more helicopter footage. Check.

Humor. Check.

Tom Selleck mugging for the camera again. Check.

The fact that I had the most awesome mom in the world who let  me stay up to watch Magnum P.I. when I was in elementary school. Check!!!!!!!

Check list of awesomeness.

Awesome theme song. Check.

Exotic location? Check.

Helicopters. Check.

Footage of exotic location from Helicopter. Check.

Fast cars. Check.

Guns. Check.

Mustache. Check.

Cars exploding. Check.

1980s babes in bikinis. Check.

Tom Selleck mugging for the camera. Check.

Eccentric foreigner. Check.

Eccentric foreigner abusing Americans. Check.

Eccentric foreigner in a greenhouse showing how American the protagonist is. Check.

More helicopter footage. Check.

Cool black sidekick. Check.

1980s camera technology. Check.

White, playboy sidekick. Check.

1980s fashion. Check.

Underwater scuba fight. Check.

Even more helicopter footage. Check.

Humor. Check.

Tom Selleck mugging for the camera again. Check.

The fact that I had the most awesome mom in the world who let  me stay up to watch Magnum P.I. when I was in elementary school. Check!!!!!!!

My brother!

My parents also let me stay up for Magnum in elementary school! It was the only show I got to do that for. I watched it religiously. 

It holds up too, they play the uncut originals on Encore with no comercials, I been recording them and watching my favorites for months. 

Hmmm, Admin-approved TV shows...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is probably Whedon at his best; his later work seems a bit too over the top to really shine like Buffy does; while I and literally everyone else on the planet can appreciate Firefly, I'm not sure it could have gone for seven seasons like Buffy. But then, it never did get the chance. Buffy is a bit uneven, but at its best, it's nothing short of classic.

Stargate SG-1 is one of those shows that you either are a fan of or aren't. Some people might watch the first season and just not make it; I feel the first season is terrible, but with just enough camp to be endearing like your cousin with the mental condition. After the first season, it becomes a lot more self-aware, and while it still waffles into "bad" territory, they become less frequent as time goes on, while building a compelling universe and really likeable characters and writing that I can't help but love a little. And, of course, nobody makes fun of themselves quite like the writers of Stargate SG-1. Spinoff Atlantis is what SG-1 narrowly avoided being; it is a soulless interpretation of the same, though it came close to being redeemed through the well-thought-out villains. Other spinoff Universe is actually really good, but it's obvious why SG-1 fans hated it; it's a sort of BSG-ified Stargate. I definitely liked it, though, and even though the prospect of its return dwindles, I still hope it comes back.

Planetes is an anime (oh god please no god please god no god no no god god!) that has a mixed level of scientific accuracy. The orbital mechanics are a little off, but they're better than most space-oriented shows. Some (collimatrix and my dad) may find this totally ruins the show for them. They're wrong, oh well. Planetes' biggest strength is its character development; it's a show with great writing behind its characters, who undergo an excellent level of development. Expounding on this would give spoilers, so I won't. If Planetes has an overarching moral, it's "to excel without limits". Some people simply won't be able to watch this because it was animated in Japan; OK, fine, I guess. I grew up watching anime, which had the twin effects of making it both perfectly bearable to me and unremarkable; I assign neither penalties nor handicaps to something just because it's "anime". Oh, and don't watch the dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfv3BMcwpdY

Psycho-Pass is another anime (oh god please no god please god no god no no god god!), though it's one of the few I'd recommend even to people who hate anime. If you don't like Psycho-Pass you will probably never like any anime, ever. This show is a brilliantly animated, brilliantly written masterpiece. If you do not like it after the first episode, put it down, video entertainment is probably not for you. This show is, in my completely unrepentant opinion, the best cyberpunk work yet made, of any kind or medium, by a wide margin. The setting is that of a heavily isolated country a la North Korea, however unlike North Korea the people live plentiful lives under a totalitarian technocracy that, by and large, vastly improves the standards of living for the majority of citizens within it. One of the reasons for this is (and the primary focus of the show) the enforcement of law through the use of "psycho passes", data on the subjects of the regime showing their psychological condition. This is heavily automated; law enforcement officers are equipped with weapons called "Dominators" that are at once a ridiculously advanced technological marvel and a bureaucratic leash. Dominators, when pointed at a subject, can determine the subject's psycho pass, and have both lethal and non-lethal modes of fire. They are unwieldy, slow to operate, and wholly unsuited to classic law enforcement, which officers still try to practice despite the radical methodology and technology of the government they serve. The conflict in the story is best explained by the trailer, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWF_-XqOsAc

As always with anime, don't watch the dub.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars' series is coming to the small screen.  J. Michael Straczynski, of Babylon 5 fame is set to write and direct.

It is apparently part of Spike TVs rebranding efforts.  I hope they don't fuck it up. I enjoyed those books back in high school.  Red Mars and Green Mars especially. Blue Mars got a little odd.

http://www.slashfilm.com/red-mars-tv-series/

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment, the missus and I have been binge watching a couple of shows. One is Person of Interest which consists of Jim Caviesel beating up bad guys in New York City, shooting them in the leg and making references to neighborhoods around Seattle. There's a top secret government computer that somehow is able to predict every crime that ever happens and Caviesel and Company are on hand to stop them. It's light entertainment that is pretty decent, doesn't take itself too serious, usually falls in the realm of "just believable" when the viewer suspends disbelief and has a cast of characters with good chemistry.

Also, the main character uses a Sig P226. Because when you're a vigilante ex-government assassin on the run from the law, you don't fuck around taking chances using some shitty striker-fired piece of plastic.

The series we just got into is Longmire which is a Cowboys and Indians crime drama set somewhere in the wilds of modern day Wyoming and features a crusty County Sheriff who drinks Rainier beer and carries a Winchester 30-30 and a Colt 1911 with custom grips in Condition 2 because he's that badass.

RobertTaylorLongmire.jpg

(Donward in ten more years)

Despite the county where Sheriff Longmire keeps the peace only having a population of 57 people, somehow a murder or shoot-out or bear mauling takes place every episode. Which is fine because I also get to see Lou Diamond Phillips play a Cheyenne Indian sidekick, barkeep and tracker. Also, it also has Katee Sackhoff, the actress who played Starbuck in the Battlestar Galacta reboot playing a tough tomboy in a uniform, a role that is totally not typecast. 

The show was originally aired on A&E for three (?) seasons but the fourth and fifth has been picked up by Netflix.