Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Our National Shame: What Was Once Detroit

• 9 months later...

Twiztid, and funnily enough, aside from being from Detroit aswell, they got their "break" after showing their demo tape to ICP (who loved it, fuck everything) and are considered Juggalo rappers too.

GAS DETROIT, NAPALM THE REMAINS, CALL IN COLLI TO DEAL WITH THE REST OF MICHIGAN!

In the market for some prime cheap real estate? many free spots! "not actually that bad" according to braindead fucking hipster trash who want to sound edgy and have been in the city for all of 5 minutes total in their lifetime on an airport connection, act now!

reuters-usa-detroit-bankrup.jpg

summer-2012-detroit-day-off-with-mom-056

3297092889_f32f648f16.jpg

3116490171_331a0bf618.jpg

detroit.jpg

detroits-ghetto_07.jpg

Many free parking spaces for when you're out and about!

detroit-ghetto.jpg

PICT4596.JPG

Close to local fire station so you can feel secure!

Taylor-Byron.jpg

HP-FireHouse.jpg

Advanced infrastructure to get you where you need to go fast!

cropped-IMG_77681.jpg

Stop by and see the community and their helpful outreach programs for the youth!

11708751-Downtown-Detroit-Stock-Photo-de

adoptacrackhead.jpg

Many job opportunities such as

Factory worker!

d149.jpg

Factory Worker!

30detroit.2-650.jpg

Factory worker!

Abandoned_Packard_Automobile_Factory_Det

Demolitions!

Homrich_demolition_1.54b5640cb0a56.jpg

Demolitions!

maxresdefault.jpg

Factory Worker!

112307_0165.jpg

Factory Worker!

Detroitt-4.jpg

Businessman!

2ibf3b8.png

Demolitions!

4222918120_5a9d69a546_b.jpg

Police Officer!

policefuneral.jpg

20100508193031_0508-tm-HuffFuneral330.jp

DSC_9105.JPG

Factory worker!

b6332f6bf73fc677911c2cc9de2e9971.jpg

And even a position that will sap the hope of a future right out of you!

111313-national-detroit-mike-duggan.png

So come by today, we here at the City of Detroit department of housing look forward to seeing you! not like we see anyone else these days!

m24-detr-char-480.png

We wish you the best of luck in what we hope will be your now home!

1b11fd104e3d4a25e55ddeb830825394.jpg

Per the Washington Post. One of the country’s poorest cities is suddenly becoming a food mecca

Detroit is in the midst of a culinary transformation. Rock-bottom housing stock and an emerging generation of young restaurateurs and chefs settling in to experiment have brought new restaurants, breweries, tasting rooms, cocktail bars, pop-up events and quirky lunch spots promising nutritious food — in neighborhoods where the only option to eat had previously been fast food. Keeping up with launches is now a sport in this rebounding city, which over the past decade survived a government bailout of two of its three major car companies, the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history and the shuttling of a recent mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, to federal prison.

Hopefully this means hipsters can leave Seattle - or at least stop coming - and move to Detroit where they will be either shot or mugged.

Per the Washington Post. One of the country’s poorest cities is suddenly becoming a food mecca

Detroit is in the midst of a culinary transformation. Rock-bottom housing stock and an emerging generation of young restaurateurs and chefs settling in to experiment have brought new restaurants, breweries, tasting rooms, cocktail bars, pop-up events and quirky lunch spots promising nutritious food — in neighborhoods where the only option to eat had previously been fast food. Keeping up with launches is now a sport in this rebounding city, which over the past decade survived a government bailout of two of its three major car companies, the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history and the shuttling of a recent mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, to federal prison.

Hopefully this means hipsters can leave Seattle - or at least stop coming - and move to Detroit where they will be either shot or mugged.

It bums me out that the first thing anyone does when they hear about good food these days i "ugh, fucking hipsters."

It bums me out that the first thing anyone does when they hear about good food these days i "ugh, fucking hipsters."

It's the circle of life.

Poor people are found to be eating good food in the bad part of town.

They have a good thing going for a couple of years.

Then word spreads. Somebody talked.

Somebody leaked the secret of poor people eating good food in the bad part of town.

This is seen as cool. This is seen as trendy.

A handful of cool and trendy people start eating there.

But it's not enough for a cool and trendy person to eat good food in the bad part of town.

No. It is never enough. Instead.

They must be scene eating good food in the bad part of town.

They must write about eating good food in the bad part of town.

They must develop a persona about eating good food in the bad part of town.

Because this is cool. It is seen as trendy.

Other people want to be cool and trendy too.

So they begin going to the bad part of town to eat good food.

But there are not enough restaurants in the bad part of town.

So corporate restaurateurs and celebrity chefs open up in the bad part of town.

Rather than commute to the bad part of town the cool and trendy buy newly made condos there.

They also take advantage of the social services and transit options that were put into place for the poor.

Because living in the bad part of town while not actually being poor is cool and trendy.

Real estate prices rise. The poor are pushed out of the bad part of town.

The restaurants that served good food in the bad part of town dwindle one by one.

Until all that is left are overpriced places called The Place On The Ave.

Or some such cool and trendy bullshit name.

But fear not my friends.

For somewhere, someplace in some Godfersaken ghetto.

Good food is being served to poor people in the bad part of town.

If there was ever a case for reforestation, it's Detroit. Actually, cities all across what used to be the northern industrial heartland are in a similar state of disrepair. Rather than trying to polish a turd, just let nature have it back . 

It's already happening.

One of the past mayors wanted to start a program where people living in outlying blocks where one or two homes were occupied would move inward toward the supportable infrastructure, and the mostly abandoned homes would be destroyed, with the property returning to nature or open space.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps you've seen some annoying agitprop on your Facebook feed about the current Flint, MI water crisis.  And you ignored it because it was dumb Facebook agitprop; obvious attempts by some shameless invertebrate to cram a complicated story into a narrative that would advance their views and interests.  Well, good on you.  Reading dumb Facebook agitprop erodes your soul, and people who spread it are going to Hell.

"But wait," you say, "I agree that people who post dumb shit on Facebook are going to Hell, but what does the Flint, MI water crisis have to do with Detroit?  They're two different cities!"

Glad you asked. As it turns out, the Detroit Water and Sewage Department was instrumental in causing the crisis.

In 2013 the City of Flint voted to join a venture called KWA that would supply it water from Lake Huron.  Previously, they had bought their water through the Detroit Water and Sewage Department, who were, to say the least, displeased to hear of this news.  Indeed, they took extraordinary measures to keep it from going ahead.

It's hard to see the DSWD's response to Flint, MI's move to KWA water as anything but greedy.  As they are gauche enough to point out in their response, this move would adversely affect them financially.  Their claim that Flint had greatly understated the cost of the KWA pipeline appears to be a self-serving lie; the project is on time and under budget.  Furthermore, at the time Flint, MI was in receivership and all expenditures had to be approved by a state-appointed emergency manager.  It is difficult to see how the KWA project could have been as grossly irresponsible as DSWD claims it was, because the emergency manager approved it!  This, and subsequent announcements that Flint, MI will enjoy the lowest water costs in the area after the completion of the KWA pipeline suggests that DSWD was gouging Flint.  In any case, DSWD decided to play hardball and in 2013 spitefully announced that they would stop supplying water to Flint, knowing fully well that the KWA project was not going to be complete for another three years.

Left in the lurch, Flint began treating water from the Flint River, which had always been their backup contingency plan.  But unbeknownst to them, their shitty, archaic Rust Belt water infrastructure was filled with lead pipes, and the Flint River water was more acidic than the water they had been using before.  Lead pipes aren't too dangerous as long as a good, thick layer of alkaline scale can build up inside them, but the acidic water from the Flint River dissolved this scale, allowing the lead to leach from the pipes and into the water supply.  The city is currently raising the levels of phosphates in their water to re-build the scale, and hopefully get the lead levels back to safe.

Or at least that's the story currently.  There is the usual bobbing and weaving to avoid responsibility.  Naturally, officials lied about everything before the enormity of the problem was undeniable.

It's hard to see any moral to this story except that the Rust Belt is completely fucked, and it's hard to come up with any solution beyond letting tweakers steal all the lead-filled pipes, razing the entire blighted place to the ground and starting over.  Oh, and selling all the municipal water officials to a salt mine because they are obviously incompetent, lying scum.  Life is like that sometimes.  But don't go on national TV and say dumb things.  If you deliberately say dumb things in public you will go to Hell.

I'd imagine you'd need a lot of mitigation to clean and remove pollutants in the soil.

Agreed.  I remember laughing my ass off after reading article about how in a certain major US city (I can't remember which one), civic health officials had to warn people not to eat vegetables grown in urban gardens because they contained dangerous amounts of pollutants from the soil they were grown in.  

teppert-st.jpg?w=680

The gray house on the left in this picture is located on Teppert St. on the East side of Detroit.  As you can see, its boarded up and abandoned, the house next to it is burned out.  This was my Grandparents house from the 1950's until 1985 when Grandpa retired and they moved to the West Side of the state.  They were in that house for over 25 years and when they sold it, they got less money for it than what they paid for it.  That's how bad property values went down in Detroit.  Grandpa worked for 40 years at the Bud Wheel plant, an auto-parts stamping factory.  The Budd plant got a bit of media attention a few years ago when the story of it's closing was documented in a book called Punching Out: One Year in a Closing Auto Plant.  When I was a kid, we used to visit my Grandparents frequently, I remember that house quite well.  As a child I was always excited to go to Detroit, but even at that age I could sense that something was very wrong with the city.  My Grandparents were the only ones in their family that refused to move out to the suburbs.  Grandpa had an old 1965 Mustang that he drove to work everyday.  He refused to ever give me a ride in it, it was so rusted out that it had holes in the floor.  On his last day of work he drove it to the junkyard after his shift was over.  My grandparents have been dead for a while now.  I miss them.  It breaks my heart that everything that was part of their life in Detroit is a burned out shithole now.  

• 8 months later...