Vacations and Traveling Thread: Where have you been?

Lord_James

So, to practice sending photos from my phone to the internet (in preparation for taking pictures of Artemis 2), I'd like to share some pictures of my most recent vacation to Mars. Yup, took one of Elon's rockets and blasted off! Utah is so damn beautiful. 

I didn't want to derail looser's family photos thread, so I'll just make this new one. 

Flying in

gXxBRap.jpg

Spoiler

cxV4iND.jpg

bASrmet.jpg

The first stop my family and I made on our trip was on the "wrong side" of Zion, or the less busy side. I loved the red rocks, and the sky was an incredible shade of blue; my phone camera doesn't quite capture that. 

DViYRTd.jpg

Spoiler

xKkjvPI.jpg

qqm096M.jpg

an5Rbo9.jpg

There's a whole lot of nothin' between towns and tourist stops, but the scenery is nice. 

6AEkdF4.jpg

Spoiler

krbVJAR.jpg

uzW7FZr.jpg

OSmmpSL.jpg

this last one is inside Ghost rock, and the pov is deceiving: you could just about maybe fit your shoulders through here if you're pretty thin. 

The next stop was Arches national park, which you need to make a reservation to get into. I took few pictures of the actual Arcs, because I cannot into be bothered. 

4iGdwwi.jpg

Spoiler

BQWZKmj.jpg

kadmYPl.jpg

Arches in training :P 

xEmAzU1.jpg

this one wasn't actually in Arches, but it's the best photo of an Arch I took the whole trip. 

Next came Dead Horse Point; it's called that because the cowboys use to drive the wild horses up onto the plateau to catch them. 

oNamuqF.jpg

Spoiler

FFdCh2b.jpg

WjroHjn.jpg

EoSFDZT.jpg

These 3 are sort of a panoramic.

v4paew4.jpg

Another plateau, nearby the point. 

PhgJWiN.jpg

We also visited Goblins state park, where part of the movie Galaxy Quest was filmed. 

kMjaKss.jpg

Spoiler

E8shwc7.jpg

qKMnEDC.jpg

aCVZb7f.jpg

The close up on the far wall looks almost like a cathedral or mural. 

We went some other random places to. I don't remember which belongs to what, so I'll be lazy and put them all here

5LwSFhC.jpg

Spoiler

GxKNsNp.jpg

2kOoKBD.jpg

I think this is the best picture I took the whole trip

And our last stop was at Bryce national park, where I finally saw snow. I was ill prepared for such an event, however... 

J6sfm5Q.jpg

Spoiler

LD19hqS.jpg

iEUgTjf.jpg

This was in the morning on the day we were leaving to go back home. We didn't really have any warm clothes except for a long sleeve sun shirt. Maybe not the best way to be introduced to snow. 

I would have posted this an hour or so ago, but I honestly got distracted by something on Imgur, which was a nice start to the day. 

Incredible scenery of Mars, James. Elon's Mars terraforming programs looks like is on scedule.

3 hours ago, Lord_James said:

/.../

oNamuqF.jpg

/.../

In early 2000s i played a demo of Russian game called ZAR, first level of which had landscape like this, but greener. I thought "well that doesn't look real, why there are steps on the hills?" Funny to see being wrong 20 years later.

Spoiler

Screenshot-995

On 8/28/2022 at 12:38 PM, Lord_James said:

So, to practice sending photos from my phone to the internet (in preparation for taking pictures of Artemis 2), I'd like to share some pictures of my most recent vacation to Mars. Yup, took one of Elon's rockets and blasted off! Utah is so damn beautiful. 

I didn't want to derail looser's family photos thread, so I'll just make this new one. 

Flying in

gXxBRap.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

The first stop my family and I made on our trip was on the "wrong side" of Zion, or the less busy side. I loved the red rocks, and the sky was an incredible shade of blue; my phone camera doesn't quite capture that. 

DViYRTd.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

There's a whole lot of nothin' between towns and tourist stops, but the scenery is nice. 

6AEkdF4.jpg

Hide contents

krbVJAR.jpg

uzW7FZr.jpg

OSmmpSL.jpg

this last one is inside Ghost rock, and the pov is deceiving: you could just about maybe fit your shoulders through here if you're pretty thin. 

The next stop was Arches national park, which you need to make a reservation to get into. I took few pictures of the actual Arcs, because I cannot into be bothered. 

4iGdwwi.jpg

Hide contents

BQWZKmj.jpg

kadmYPl.jpg

Arches in training :P 

xEmAzU1.jpg

this one wasn't actually in Arches, but it's the best photo of an Arch I took the whole trip. 

Next came Dead Horse Point; it's called that because the cowboys use to drive the wild horses up onto the plateau to catch them. 

oNamuqF.jpg

Hide contents

FFdCh2b.jpg

WjroHjn.jpg

EoSFDZT.jpg

These 3 are sort of a panoramic.

v4paew4.jpg

Another plateau, nearby the point. 

PhgJWiN.jpg

We also visited Goblins state park, where part of the movie Galaxy Quest was filmed. 

kMjaKss.jpg

Hide contents

E8shwc7.jpg

qKMnEDC.jpg

aCVZb7f.jpg

The close up on the far wall looks almost like a cathedral or mural. 

We went some other random places to. I don't remember which belongs to what, so I'll be lazy and put them all here

5LwSFhC.jpg

Hide contents

GxKNsNp.jpg

2kOoKBD.jpg

I think this is the best picture I took the whole trip

And our last stop was at Bryce national park, where I finally saw snow. I was ill prepared for such an event, however... 

J6sfm5Q.jpg

Hide contents

LD19hqS.jpg

iEUgTjf.jpg

This was in the morning on the day we were leaving to go back home. We didn't really have any warm clothes except for a long sleeve sun shirt. Maybe not the best way to be introduced to snow. 

I would have posted this an hour or so ago, but I honestly got distracted by something on Imgur, which was a nice start to the day. 

Nice photos, Utah is beautiful.

If you can, I'd get the most badass cameraphone (or, hell, DSLR camera) you can before Artemis II. I recently upgraded and the photos alone are well worth it.