Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

What Should Canada have Bought Instead of the F-101?

LostCosmonaut

Also, I want a historical redo and instead of the CF-18, we don't cheap out and get the Tomcat or the Eagle instead. :D

I'm a bit of an Arrow fanboy, but the main reason why I'm still angry about it is the damage it did to the Canadian aerospace industry. There is a reason why the day the arrow was cancelled is referred to as Black Friday.

Swing-wing aircraft are very efficient at a mid subsonic cruise, and Canada is really big.

Besides, Iran managed to operate swing-wing aircraft; in combat even.  I'm sure Canada could pull it off.

Iran managed to operate swing-wing aircraft because that's what they had and it's not like they could easily get more. That makes things pretty lopsided as far as cost-benefit goes.

And yes, swing-wings are efficient in some flight regimes, but unfortunately they also make great hangar queens. A bit more capability for a bunch more money probably isn't the right direction.

Canada getting the F4H as a replacement for the Arrow would require it to pretty much get in on the ground floor of development, since the Phantom was only just starting to become a thing. Might result in two more divergent variants of the Phantom; a USN version for carrier ops, and a different RCAF/USAF variant which has some parts commonality but not as much as in the real world, and is more optimized for the NORAD mission. Do it early enough in the Phantom's development and you might keep the F-106 from getting introduced in large numbers.

Of course, the coolest option is this;

5426628931_4e95c92b2d_o.jpg

Canada getting the F4H as a replacement for the Arrow would require it to pretty much get in on the ground floor of development, since the Phantom was only just starting to become a thing. Might result in two more divergent variants of the Phantom; a USN version for carrier ops, and a different RCAF/USAF variant which has some parts commonality but not as much as in the real world, and is more optimized for the NORAD mission. Do it early enough in the Phantom's development and you might keep the F-106 from getting introduced in large numbers.

Of course, the coolest option is this;

5426628931_4e95c92b2d_o.jpg

An RA-5C with weird shit stapled to it?