Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

Another Israeli variant of the good ol' Sherman. 

In 1958, Isaac Jacobson, commander of the 2nd maintenance center in Tel Hashomer, proposed to shorten the Sherman (I don't know which variant) by 30 centimeters, to make its silhouette somewhat closer to that of the T-54.

219241_original.jpg

The new tank was called 'Degem Yud' (Model Yud). Yud is a Hebrew letter that sounds somewhat like Yehudi (Jewish), which symbolizes the circumcision the tank underwent.

6 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Another Israeli variant of the good ol' Sherman. 

In 1958, Isaac Jacobson, commander of the 2nd maintenance center in Tel Hashomer, proposed to shorten the Sherman (I don't know which variant) by 30 centimeters, to make its silhouette somewhat closer to that of the T-54.

219241_original.jpg

The new tank was called 'Degem Yud' (Model Yud). Yud is a Hebrew letter that sounds somewhat like Yehudi (Jewish), which symbolizes the circumcision the tank underwent.

Wow, that's crazy! I've never heard of that before, so they cut the hull down... Any more pics?  Any idea how hard/costly the project was?

4 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Wow, that's crazy! I've never heard of that before, so they cut the hull down... Any more pics?  Any idea how hard/costly the project was?

That is the only picture I could find, and this was taken from a blogger.

The project never really went beyond prototype stage, and all Shermans in the IDF continued their service with other modifications. So I assume this whole thing came at the cost of either high modification costs or close to non-existent ergonomics.

4 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

That is the only picture I could find, and this was taken from a blogger.

The project never really went beyond prototype stage, and all Shermans in the IDF continued their service with other modifications. So I assume this whole thing came at the cost of either high modification costs or close to non-existent ergonomics.

They would have needed midgets/dwarves for the TD/BOG positions. 

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

This photo shows one weakness of the Firefly really well. The gun had to be turned back during travel, so the radio bustle was right above the driver's hatch. If the tank went over a bump while he was driving with his seat up, he was liable to smash his head into the turret.

EXwDnBP.png

Did you know the M10 GMC turret when forward, didn't allow the driver or co-driver to open their hatches? That seems like a pretty huge flaw, for how well the crews liked the M10. 

25 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Huh, I've never heard of that one before. Yeah, that seems to be a downer.

Yeah, I think they fixed it on the M36 and surely the M18, but its interesting M10 crews with that flaw still preferred it to the M18. I think the M10 since it had no turret basket and an open turret, was much easier for the driver and co-driver to get out through the turret. 

8 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

I recall reading a blurb about how the US Army disliked the name "Sherman" and preferred the soldiers to call it by its proper name, but begrudgingly agreed to let press releases targets at civilians to call it "Sherman" instead of Medium Tank M4. Does anyone know the source, by any chance?

No idea on the source, but it was almost universally called an M4 or Medium tank, but maybe in or Europe or Med, the US Troops who worked with or near the Brits, could have started calling them that? 

I feel a little dumb now, but I can't remember if they were Shermans or M4 and or Mediums or Easy 8s by Korea.  Today was long, and it's hot again, my eyelids are sunburned, along with my face... lol I forget to put sunscreen on when doing outdoor repair work... a lot. 

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

I recall reading a blurb about how the US Army disliked the name "Sherman" and preferred the soldiers to call it by its proper name, but begrudgingly agreed to let press releases targets at civilians to call it "Sherman" instead of Medium Tank M4. Does anyone know the source, by any chance?

This by chance? MG Barnes's order posted there notes that "there is a War Department Circular forbidding the use of nicknames in official and technical correspondence. The objective of this order involves public information channels only"

12 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Exactly what I was thinking of, thanks!

Another question, is this an M4 or an M4A2? Is it possible to tell from this angle?

hvIWXj5.png

To me it looks like M4A2 Sherman. I mean looks similar to these
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/sherman_types/m4a2/m4a2.html
http://www.pantser.net/wo2-france/w02-M4-ShermanIII.htm
And I am not an expert but shouldn't like M4 Sherman have "rounded" LFP, like this
kAHNJc7.jpg
WUllgZC.jpg

Where M4A2 should have LFP angled like this

4H2FzDk.jpg

khTIlGf.jpg
If I am wrong please do let me know

7 minutes ago, Azrael said:

To me it looks like M4A2 Sherman. I mean looks similar to these
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/sherman_types/m4a2/m4a2.html
http://www.pantser.net/wo2-france/w02-M4-ShermanIII.htm
And I am not an expert but shouldn't like M4 Sherman have "rounded" LFP, like this
kAHNJc7.jpg
WUllgZC.jpg

Where M4A2 should have LFP angled like this

4H2FzDk.jpg

khTIlGf.jpg
If I am wrong please do let me know

There were M4s made with improved cast dif cover. I think the M4A4 was the only version that didn't.

Maybe looking at the hull antenna mount, some factories had fairy distinct versions.

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

I first thought the image was taken somewhere in the Mediterranean theatre, but then realized it could also (more likely) be California.  I assume the M4A2 could be found in use for training in the states, yes?

Yep the only use by the US army of the m4a2 was in stateside training 

23 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Here's an even harder angle. Any way to tell from here?

I think the early suspension bogies point to it being an M4A2. The heavy-duty bogies were introduced by summer 1942, and the M4A2 was the only welded-hull tank in production before then. The first M4A3, which was the next welded-hull variant to be introduced, had the heavy-duty bogies.