Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 12:26 AM, Walter_Sobchak said:

Are those real photos of Herr Speer in a Sherman tank? 

Probably, this is a really famous 1st AD tank the Germans captured in Tunis, if you look close you can see markings were they put the armor thickness numbers on the hull in various spots. 

25 minutes ago, DogDodger said:

Looks like the collector ring box, but upside-down.

Yeah. Interesting, I think that's the cutaway tank in one of the museums, are they restoring it or something, it seems like the older pics I've seen everything is in better shape. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, EnsignExpendable said:

@Jeeps_Guns_Tanks you've probably seen this photo a million times, but I'm adding it as a reference anyway. The stationary gun mantlet is marked as 85 mm thick. Is that the thickness throughout, or is it thinner around the sides? Similar question about the turret, where does the armour change over between 3 inches and 2 inches in thickness?

9f3583ecc5f9180af1739d0fbd93113d.jpg

Just two bits worth of opinion, but it's a casting, it will thin at the edges to accomodate the fasteners.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, EnsignExpendable said:

Here's the inside of a Canadian M4A2E8. What's the orange cylinder in the middle? Looks like it could be the turret basket foundation or something like that, except the E8 shouldn't have one.

IS1BR4v.jpgfff

Slip-ring box. For electrical stuff.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, egorogr said:

Hello. What was the part number of the M34 mount 75mm gun cradle?

Is there any good reference of foundry symbol and part number on cradle?

You mean the DWG or the casting number?

There are tons wrong with that image, I mean, HVSS was put on the M4A4 hull fairly regularly by the IDF.  But who puts the wrong mantlet on, and who either stretches a big hull hatch or rebuilds the whole front of the tank? I mean, you could probably but the front of an M4A3 large hatch hull and weld it on an M4A4 hull, but why?

Where is this thing anyway?

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

IIRC the Firefly was never supposed to carry a .50 cal, the mount on the commander's cupola is for a rangefinder.

Here's a fun photo. I see the additional mudguards on this tank, but the suspension is VVSS. Is this an M4A1E9? This is the biggest resolution I have, sorry.

NTw9hsK.jpg

looks like an E9, without the duckbills, but since they were fragile, they are probably in one of the boxes on the back deck.