Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

4 hours ago, Beer said:

Would you have some schematics of the oil, water and fuel circuit of the A57 to see how many of each pumps are involved and how is the distribution and collection done? 

Some.  I have parts break downs for all the oil and fuel lines, and flow charts for fuel and I think water. It also depends on the engine. They are surprisingly inconsistent with what's in the various manuals. 

10 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Some.  I have parts break downs for all the oil and fuel lines, and flow charts for fuel and I think water. It also depends on the engine. They are surprisingly inconsistent with what's in the various manuals. 

I don't need anything detailed. I'm just curious to see for example if there are five oil circuits or one common for all engines. 

20 minutes ago, Beer said:

I don't need anything detailed. I'm just curious to see for example if there are five oil circuits or one common for all engines. 

On the A57 from the start it used a dry sump system, with a big main suction pump and a secondary scavenger pump, and a big ass tank of oil mounted on the inside of the fighting compartment on the rear wall. 

Gas is sucked through one big mechanical pump for all motors. 

The cooling system was only only one that used pumps mounted on each engine bank, but the belt loads cause poor service life, so they switched to one MASSIVE water pump. 

9 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Late night batch of images. 

M4A4 A57 Block and related parts flt sms

A57 BLOCK DISTRUBUTER END EXLODED flt

A57 ENGINE INSTALL TO BLOCK IMAGE 1m FLT

@Beer

In this image the bevel gears in the middle of the block, drive the shafts, that go down to the oil pumps. I'll clean up a couple of oil pump pictures too, I've been meaning too, the engine is really clever. 

3 hours ago, Lord_James said:

How does the engine make sure each of the cylinder banks are timed correctly? I assume the gear system that connects each bank to the main shaft could help, but I’m not 100% sure. 

There is a giant firing order chart in one of the manuals, and I think you set the timing on each motor the traditional way, by twisting the distributer. I need to read through that section again. 

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

What is an M4A1E9? I came across it while bored, but the only information I saw is that it is “an M4A1 with spaced out VVSS suspension and extended end connectors”, but all the pictures that come up look like normal VVSS to me: 

If it doesn't count as spam, there are some pictures of the spaced-out suspension on a hybrid M4 here. :)

11 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I wonder why they just didn't come up with a wider track pad?  I suppose the unsupported part would be prone to bending?

Cantilevered objects like to do that... 

I wonder if the krauts had the same problems with their winter/ostketten tracks

7 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I wonder why they just didn't come up with a wider track pad?

I think it has to do with the drive sprockets meshing with the end connectors, which are also the guide teeth. You'd need an all new incompatible concept of track link design to fill both those functions while also being wider.

Such a concept is the track with central guide teeth used on the HVSS Shermans.

17 hours ago, N-L-M said:

That entire site of yours is an absolute goldmine. I even got my profile pic from there.

Ha, thanks! That's awesome, I didn't even realize until you said something. :)

8 hours ago, ZloyKrolik said:

They did. Pretty much every track extender had problems with them breaking/bending.

Unbalanced loads are hard on tracks: e.g., the weight imposed by the Tiger Ausf.B's overlapping Staffellaufwerk was biased to the inboard portion of the tracks, resulting in track pins bent to the point that they couldn't be pulled out of the link.

• 3 weeks later...