Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

US Army Next Gen Helo Program

Belesarius

Edited the original post to include a link to the story.  That's what I get for posting when not fully awake.

And the engineering for that CAS-1 concept looks like a nightmare.

I'm pretty sure that's like a graphic design student's project. No way any actual engineering went into it.

I'm pretty sure that's like a graphic design student's project. No way any actual engineering went into it.

Here is the guy's official website.

You gotta love the "Machines You Can Believe" subtitle. In actuality, it looks like the guy knows what he designed is utterly impossible though. Good for him. 

Here is the guy's official website.

You gotta love the "Machines You Can Believe" subtitle. In actuality, it looks like the guy knows what he designed is utterly impossible though. Good for him. 

In Christianity, there is a saying about "faith that can move mountains". I'm not sure how Jesus would feel if he knew that those words were being applied to rotorcraft engineering.

Also, if you know a company that's looking to increase their production of extra-meaty salsa, put them in contact with this guy.

Additional advice; if this gets built, invest in companies that manufacture gearbox components.

Also, I think having rotors underneath the body of the aircraft is extremely problematic in the even of a failure of some sort.  I can see this being a VERY BAD THING.

Just sayin'...

Edit:  More random thoughts.  I kinda like the idea of ducted rotors.  Offers some hardening for minor collisions and possibly, with modern materials, probably greater ground fire resistance.  Tho, that Sikorsky one looks like a cross between a UH60, a short bus, and a toy quad copter. 

Also, I think having rotors underneath the body of the aircraft is extremely problematic in the even of a failure of some sort.  I can see this being a VERY BAD THING.

Just sayin'...

Edit:  More random thoughts.  I kinda like the idea of ducted rotors.  Offers some hardening for minor collisions and possibly, with modern materials, probably greater ground fire resistance.  Tho, that Sikorsky one looks like a cross between a UH60, a short bus, and a toy quad copter. 

I kind of like it for damage resistance, although the problem of damage meaning unsustainable out of trim might come up (although with four a fly-by-wire setup might be able to cut the opposite one to give a soft crash capability), but what I really like it as is a way to decrease the ratio between blade length and total lifting area, which is nice, and might help us get higher speeds without running into retreating blade stall issues. Not sure there.

That likely wouldn't, although really the limiting factor on helicopter speed isn't really drag per se.

Not drag against forward flight, drag against the lift from the rotors.

The artist rightly points out that putting the fuselage underneath the rotors cancels out some of the rotors' lift, but I am unconvinced that sucking your air through the helicopter is a better option.

Not drag against forward flight, drag against the lift from the rotors.

The artist rightly points out that putting the fuselage underneath the rotors cancels out some of the rotors' lift, but I am unconvinced that sucking your air through the helicopter is a better option.

Ahh, okay, missed what you were referring to.