Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Why Arabs Lose Wars

Thanks for the explanation.

The thing is, micro scale stuff (stretching the term) doesn't count. Nobody sees the minutia of interdepartmental politics, we just see the sprawling entity known as the United States flailing around in the middle east (et al).

Arguing that the goals which got set at the beginning of a conflict could only be achieved by installing a military dictatorship (or whatever) is a pretty strong admission of military failure from where I stand.

I will say this, though: governments (like any organisation) tend to be much more efficient where their interests are concerned. There is a good argument to be made that the middle east simply isn't seen as being that important to the US gov as a whole (the long war certainty hasn't fucked too hard with the budget, for instance). In which case clueless flailing is entirely expected.

Arguing that the goals which got set at the beginning of a conflict could only be achieved by installing a military dictatorship (or whatever) is a pretty strong admission of military failure from where I stand.

Not a terribly convincing argument if you're talking to one in favor of a military dictatorship, though, is it?

Not a terribly convincing argument if you're talking to one in favor of a military dictatorship, though, is it?

Perhaps as a general argument. But we're talking about America as it is now, fighting the wars it is currently fighting.

If the American Empire conducts a successful campaign to conquer asia minor under the firm hand of the Bush-Clinton dynasty, then I will be sure to applaud it politely from the safety of my bunker.

Edit: alas, the rebellious quote function rises up against me. Please hold on while I conduct a lengthy police action.

Wakes up in the morning, grabs a fresh cup of joe brewed in the French press and notices the "Why Do A-Rabs Lose Wars Thread" has become a NIN and music thread.

Excellent. *finger twiddle*

And since I'm on the subject, I'll just leave this offering from The Clash as well.

Hey. It's nice to see that Austin, Texas is a suitable stand-in for a stereotypical Middle East theocracy!

Hey. It's nice to see that Austin, Texas is a suitable stand-in for a stereotypical Middle East theocracy!

Well it is in a very oil rich region.

He's consistently gotten better, I think. Definitely one of the few very famous artists to consistently put out top material.

And I guess since we're giving out ages, I am 24.

Geez, you're a year younger grumpy old person than me, I'm impressed.