Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The KSP Design-a-plane competition: multirole fighter edition

Toxn

I have been informed that my design is something called "expensive". I don't know what that word means, but as a result I developed the MiK-17 Huckleberry, and its novel VTPPR design (Vertical Launch, Powered Parachute Recovery), facilitated by the design's single turbo-ramjet engine:

Unit cost is K11,977

SPECIFICATIONS

• Mass (empty): 4.141 t
  • Mass fuelled): 4.891 t
  • Unit cost: K11,977
  • Max speed (sea level): Mach 2.0
  • Max speed (altitude): Mach 2.5 (Mach 3.8 achievable, but beyond airframe thermal capability)
  • Climb rate: 1,130 m/s
  • Max altitude (engine flameout): 30 000 m
  • Max altitude (apogee): 43 000 m

Customer demands for "any avionics at all oh please god" have led to the MiK-17 Huckleberry-Dog:

hG57Ltv.png

High-G maneuvers are no problem for the Huckleberry-Dog and its integrated spine-airbrakes.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Mass (empty): 4.533 t
  • Mass fuelled): 5.683 t
  • Unit cost: K21,703
  • Max speed (altitude): Mach 2.5
  • Climb rate: 687 m/s

Here at Mikerbian i Kerbevich, our marketing strategists told us that we should find out a way to sell more units, so we did. Introducing the new Hucklebee pilotless multipurpose suicide plane missile. This missile can be flown into any object you would like to not exist anymore, and packs enough extra fuel in the nose to cause a sizeable explosion:

LmADtds.png

pn0xNSZ.png

In a further effort to reduce the nebulous quality of "cost", the latest Huckleberry model incorporates using the tailplane from an airliner as the wing advanced production methods:

dns6ikO.png

SPECIFICATIONS

• Mass (empty): 4.101 t
  • Mass fuelled): 4.852 t
  • Unit cost: K9,268 (turbo-ramjet variant), K7,848 (turbojet variant)
  • Max speed (altitude): Mach 2.5
  • Climb rate: 687 m/s

I made my first plane in KSP. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it flew and I landed it so I must be doing something right. 

de Kerbaland Sawfly

nHzc3ly.png

Much Speed

0xZHHEj.png

Altidude bro

CVGQ92s.png

It shall strike fear into the enemy!(even without weapons)

SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 11 m
Width:13.1 m
Height: 4.1 m
Mass (fuelled): 11.9 tonnes
Mass (maximum takeoff weight): more than 11.9 tonnes
Unit cost: Only 23,890!
Max speed (sea level): Mach 1.3-ish
Max speed (altitude): Mach 2-ish
Climb rate: This baby can climb at about 300 m/s^2
Max altitude (engine flameout): Nearly the edge of space
Max altitude (apogee): Edge of Space, however high that is. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear [iNSERT NAME OF COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE HERE],

The Republic of Kerbalia is pleased to announce the results of its latest multi-role fighter competition. If you are reading this letter in regards to your entry into the previous multi-role fighter, please burn this letter now.

Overall, the learned Kerbals on the Department of Defence fighter selection panel were pleased at the enthusiasm of the various companies who submitted entries for this competition. However, as they were late for dinner, only the results of the three top-scoring entries will be disclosed at the present time.

1. SUBMISSION BY OKB KERBOLEV

Internal Prototype Designation: Coyote XVIII

Prototype Designation number: X-33

Report:

The Coyote XVIII (designated X-33 for these trials) demonstrated a number of advanced features when compared to the K-21. Notably, it showed a markedly higher sustained top speed and climb rate in clean configuration, as well as the ability to carry an equivalent ordinance load in terms of external hardpoints. Additionally, the inclusion of an advance avionics suite was considered a major step forwards in terms of improving pilot workload and effectiveness.

However, the board was unhappy to discover that the X-33 was deficient in terms of sustained high-G manoeuvre potential and weight-carrying capacity. For the increase in price that the design represented, it was felt that more could have been delivered. Overall, the X-33 was felt to be an evolutionary improvement over existing airframes.

2. SUBMISSION BY KERBOYAN/GURKEVICH

internal Prototype Designation: KeG-2B/D

Prototype Designation number: X-34

Report:

The KeG-2B (designated X-34) immediately impressed the panel with its sporty good looks and compatibility with current volleyball/sunglasses trends. The inclusion of a WSO, although not strictly necessary, was also considered an inspired move as it 'gave the pilot someone to talk to' on long-duration missions. In this regard, the outstanding range of the X-34, combined with a phenomenal load-carrying capacity, ensured that the pilot would be able to make full use of his WSO's conversational abilities.

The X-34 also proved itself no slouch in terms of more traditional 'fighter-y' characteristics such as sustained turn rate, speed and climb rate. In particular, the judges were intrigued at the results of 30G instantaneous turns on the pilots' physiologies, and spent a productive lunch hour debating whether a kerbal's eyeballs would even survive being forced through the roof of his/her mouth. Finally, the judges were extremely interested in the KeG-2D upgrade - more hardpoints and an improved avionics suite were held to be eminently worth the increase in costs. 

Overall; the X-34 was held to provide an expensive but high-value platform for future strike missions, while still being more than capable of holding its own in any foreseeable air combat scenario that didn't involve alien invasions or robot uprisings.

3. SUBMISSION BY MIKERBIAN I KERBEVICH

Internal Prototype Designation: KF-105 Assegai series

Prototype Designation number: X-35

Report:

The Assegai series of aircraft (designated X-35) demonstrated impressive range and load-carrying capacity due to an innovative rocket-assisted design. This both impressed and terrified the panel, as being able to combine rockets and planes is generally held to be 'meddling in Kod's domain'. Nevertheless, the aerodynamic potential of the design, combined with hefty lobbying by politicians and contractors, resulted in rave reviews by some judges.

Unfortunately; the complete lack of other, more traditional design elements (lots of hardpoints, an advanced avionics suite, a gun or cupholders for the pilot) made other members of the panel particularly unhappy. This resulted in something of a split between the pro and anti-assegai members, as well as the creation of a number of badly-written fanfiction stories.

Overall; it was decided that the Assegai, while eminently worthy of ongoing development and manufacture, should be the subject of a further 'strike fighter/pork barrel project' trial, to be held at some point in the indeterminate future.

4. CONCLUSION AND AWARD OF PRIZE MONIES

In conclusion, the panel declared that the award of the prize proper should go to Kerboyan/Gurkevich, with an immediate order being placed for the X-34 under its new designation: the K-34 "Soaring Shrimp".

For OKB Kerbolev, an order was made to start a product improvement and integration pilot program focused on introducing the advanced features of the X-33 into the existing K-21 fleet.

For Mikerbian i Kerbevich, an order was made to continue limited production and improvement of Assegai airframes as prototypes for the upcoming strike fighter/pork barrel project trials, to be held whenever the panel feels that it needs a free dinner.

Yours Sincerely,

Lotho Kerman

Head Company Wrangler,

Department of Defence,

Republic of Kerbalia