Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Space Exploration Achievements Thread

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

I am extremely excited to potentially have a planet discovered in my lifetime.

Is there consensus on whether Planet 9 would be the 5th planet from the Nice Model, or an as yet unknown object (for instance, that formed out of  Oort Cloud objects)?

I don't know if there is really a consensus, but Batygin thinks it is unlikely to have formed in place due to the amount of material needed.

http://www.findplanetnine.com/2016/08/origins.html

On 10/2/2018 at 5:19 PM, LostCosmonaut said:

I am extremely excited to potentially have a planet discovered in my lifetime.

Is there consensus on whether Planet 9 would be the 5th planet from the Nice Model, or an as yet unknown object (for instance, that formed out of  Oort Cloud objects)?

https://www.knowablemagazine.org/article/physical-world/2018/lost-world-ancient-ninth-planet-went-missing

There is now speculation that the surface of Europa could be covered in gigantic spikes of ice; https://www.space.com/42051-jupiter-moon-europa-ice-towers-lander.html

They would look similar to (but larger than) penitentes, ice formations found in the Andes caused by differential sublimation in direct sunlight and low temperatures.

penitentes-3.jpg

1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

The incident marks an unprecedented mishap for the Russian space program, which has been dogged by a string of launch failures and other incidents in recent years.

I was afraid of that for last few years and now it happened. It was very lucky for those incredible car salesmans in Roskosmos that this failure was without deaths or as far as i know no injuries. Incompetence reached manned flights. Americans! Make your manned space crafts faster!

NTRs aren't completely dead

BWXT announced last year it had been awarded a USD18.8 million contract from NASA for initial reactor concept development, initial fuel and core fabrication development, licensing support, and engine test programme development.

18.8 million is chump change for spaceflight, but better than nothing.

BWXT, whose reactor design is based on low-enriched uranium fuel

reeeeeeee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...