Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Space Exploration Achievements Thread

• 3 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/08/european-space-chief-says-continent-will-lead-in-space-based-solar-power/

Europe is seriously considering developing space-based solar power to increase its energy independence and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the leader of the European Space Agency said this week.

"It will be up to Europe, ESA and its Member States to push the envelope of technology to solve one of the most pressing problems for people on Earth of this generation," said Josef Aschbacher, director general of the space agency, an intergovernmental organization of 22 member states.

That about sum it up :

With a solar panel in orbit, you get twice the solar energy, but you've got to do a double conversion: Photon to electron to photon, back to electron. What's your conversion efficiency? All in, you're going to have a real hard time even getting to 50 percent. So just put that solar cell on Earth."

And even a 50% efficiency would be generous (when you know that photovoltaic pannel reach a litle above 20% max on Earth).

When even Elon Musk recognize that the concept is stupid you know that the idea was really not worth considering.

That two consulting group wrote a report saying that it is possible isn't surprising (as usual, take the final result as granted, chose improbable starting hypothesis and voilà!)

What is really sad is that the head of the ESA (somebody with a PhD in physics) actually agree with the conclusion of the reports...

21 hours ago, Alzoc said:

That two consulting group wrote a report saying that it is possible isn't surprising (as usual, take the final result as granted, chose improbable starting hypothesis and voilà!)

What is really sad is that the head of the ESA (somebody with a PhD in physics) actually agree with the conclusion of the reports...

Maybe a PhD in metaphysics

Given that propulsion components of Artemis are mixed bag of up to 40y old used engines and parts , one of the engines actually has 19 flights on its back since it first flew in 1984  , i would be surprising if there were no hiccups along the way.

https://ldpdl.engr.tamu.edu/combined-laser-and-particle-beams-for-self-guided-beamed-propulsion/

This optically coupled particle and laser beam are governed by two fundamental coupling phenomena. The light guiding occurs due to the higher index of refraction inside the particle beam compared to the vacuum of space outside the beam. This same principle can be seen in step index fiber optic cables. The particle guiding requires the particles to be at very low (sub-Kelvin) temperatures to effectively couple the beams. Once the atoms are cold, the high intensity laser creates and potential “well” through a dipole force that the particles will stay trapped in unless they gain enough energy to escape the well [5].

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

A lot if you don't use arbitrary qualifiers designed to exclude Pluto.

I find interesting how they tried to preserve mentally understandable for general public picture of Solar system. Not sure if it is good or bad, but i kinda agree with that move. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, Lord_James said:

I detect a hint of salt in there. But people like to (if not love to) draw lines in arbitrary places to make them feel special, and science is no different. 

Or sell books.

I think it would have been a lot more honest to simply say objects in the Asteroid and Kuiper belts are not planets than selectively applying the rules used to define a planet. Mercury is not in hydrostatic equilibrium.

https://academiccommons.columbia.edu/doi/10.7916/d8-nk9a-yn73/download

3 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Or sell books.

I think it would have been a lot more honest to simply say objects in the Asteroid and Kuiper belts are not planets than selectively applying the rules used to define a planet. Mercury is not in hydrostatic equilibrium.

download

If was smart enough to understand some of this science jargon, I might agree with you. Instead I’ll just silently nod my head as you talk :D

20 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

If was smart enough to understand some of this science jargon, I might agree with you. Instead I’ll just silently nod my head as you talk :D

lol it basically means Mercury has not quite rounded itself, its gravity is not strong enough to overcome the rigidity of the material it is composed of

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

lol it basically means Mercury has not quite rounded itself, its gravity is not strong enough to overcome the rigidity of the material it is composed of

*Which is one of rules for object in Solar system to be called a planet, for those who didn't catch where it is going to.