Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Body Armor Thread

Some examples of some experimental Japanese body armor from the 1930s and 1940s, all from this page (Google chrome can make a reasonable translation of the text).

A 'tortoise shield', apparently devised specifically to fight against the Soviet Union after the border clashes in there in the late 1930s.

kame01.jpg

kame02.jpgkame03.jpg

An early "bullet proof" vest:

92ar02.jpg

Apparently they issued several times of shields too, one of which appears to double as a breastplate:

kei01.jpgkei02.jpgjyuu01.jpgjyuu02.jpgshitate01.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Current helmets do no better (or worse in some area) than WW1 helmets at preventing shockwave induced injury.

A shockwave pushes down on a helmet worn by a dummyA bar graph of test results

The conclusions aren't really surprising, geometry, choice of material and sacrificial parts play an important role in absorbing a shockwave.

What is surprising (at least to me) is how little progress have been made in 100 years.

full article

• 1 month later...

We use ceramics from the Schelkovo Shelkotkatsky factory (http://www.shtf.su), protection class BR-5, weight 3.2 kg each. The shape of the plates is the same for the chest and back.
   They have a bend at the top and a slight bend in width. This form provides the most comfortable wearing and is very convenient when shooting in the bodyarmor. Buttstock can be rested in the middle of the pectoral muscle. In fact, you do not have to change the grip when the bulletproof vest is removed or worn.
   The shooting was carried out from the PKP, ammunition B-32, a distance of 5 meters.

stolen, never heard about that producer of armor plates before.

5Xom2r6.jpg

Spoiler

qHtXZdA.jpg

G0Qz83d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beer said:

What is the ballistic resistance of this shield and leg protection?  

Not sure about leg protection (some models offer old Gost 6A level of protection, one such model was posted in this thread), Vant-VM - glass is gost 5 and "provides protection against bullets with heat-strengthened core from AKM and AK-74 assault rifles, LPS bullets of the SVD rifle and bullets of the M16A1 and A2 rifle at a distance of 5 meters with a low probability of ricochet."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Armor technology is something which had raised many questions to me. Armor is something which tends to gain more value the more you put it. For example, on a tank, extra 50 mm of raw armor thickness can sometimes mean over 500 meters of extra range where enemy fire is ineffective. In a same manner, we often do not prioritize protecting ours...anything and always seem to focus on other aspects rather than protection. In my eyes, it is like being in Imperial Guard army. You are just statistic on someone's excel spreadsheet. You do not gain any real combat performance increase if you survive being shot when you consider all the downsides. Thus, protection is here more for morale reasons and providing bare basic levels of protection for maximum benefit as cheaply as possible. Key point, cheaply. Our analogue SWAT officers were forced at one time to serve with expired body vests. Soldiers also seem to suffer from poor quality body armor issues from time to time and this is in USA, the best equipped military in the world. I can only imagine that body armor in less well equipped nations are long expired and is here more for a show.

This is also strange, because we do have technology to create video game equivalent of power armor. We have real cases of body armor stopping heavy machine gun rounds, helmets who can stop sniper rounds, body vests who can stop point blank grenade hits. Armor can be so much more, but we somehow do not care about it. Just look at how long it took us to figure out that creating an air gap between an armor plates makes them more effective...

2 hours ago, Calicifer said:

Armor technology is something which had raised many questions to me. Armor is something which tends to gain more value the more you put it. For example, on a tank, extra 50 mm of raw armor thickness can sometimes mean over 500 meters of extra range where enemy fire is ineffective. In a same manner, we often do not prioritize protecting ours...anything and always seem to focus on other aspects rather than protection. In my eyes, it is like being in Imperial Guard army. You are just statistic on someone's excel spreadsheet. You do not gain any real combat performance increase if you survive being shot when you consider all the downsides. Thus, protection is here more for morale reasons and providing bare basic levels of protection for maximum benefit as cheaply as possible. Key point, cheaply. Our analogue SWAT officers were forced at one time to serve with expired body vests. Soldiers also seem to suffer from poor quality body armor issues from time to time and this is in USA, the best equipped military in the world. I can only imagine that body armor in less well equipped nations are long expired and is here more for a show.

This is also strange, because we do have technology to create video game equivalent of power armor. We have real cases of body armor stopping heavy machine gun rounds, helmets who can stop sniper rounds, body vests who can stop point blank grenade hits. Armor can be so much more, but we somehow do not care about it. Just look at how long it took us to figure out that creating an air gap between an armor plates makes them more effective...

I think the fact that you used WH40K as an analogy says everything we need to know about you.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:13 AM, Calicifer said:

Our analogue SWAT officers were forced at one time to serve with expired body vests. Soldiers also seem to suffer from poor quality body armor issues from time to time and this is in USA, the best equipped military in the world. I can only imagine that body armor in less well equipped nations are long expired and is here more for a show.

1: Expired personal armours of the aramid variety show operational status after testing. It's just a "cover our ass" system. The EX date is the maximum that they can guarantee full operational state under standard wear and tear iirc.

2: Cost of dead operative is high. If memory serves, average US Army soldier is 300k for basic training, not including specializations and such. As such, by logic, it makes good fiscal and moral sense to ensure operative returns whole.

3: Issue with armor manufacture is just typical. No producer will make perfect record, even most sterling of silver will have a small blemish. It happens. Response is how you judge. 

4: You would be surprised. German, Israeli, British, and Russian industry of protective gear is quite excellent. However, in some cases like India and their Alibaba Armour, this is true. Quite frankly, their items seem atrociously made.

Edit: Also, the SLAM... Ah yes, I too like slowly turning my barrel into a krummlauf.

Edited by SkynetPR
Just avoiding a doublepost.

So, there isn't anything which degrades performance of modern body armor no matter how long it was used? 

You see, I come from Eastern Europe and such things as shoddy equipment comes far more often than in the West. Western standards are in general higher, I can expect that equipment they will be handed out and support it will get will be a lot higher. We did send our elite operatives to Afganistan and into active combat with not enough equipment, I can't remember what exactly they were complaining enough, but in 2000-2010 this problem was accutte here. Same applied to our SWAT officers when I saw campaigns coming from civilians to purchase new body armor to them. Our volunteer and reserve training is equally ridiculous. We have automatic weapons which are so worn down that they can be trusted to fire no more than 1 round reliably before jamming and often our training were more about loud shouting than firing live ammunition. Recently however with change of political leadership, Russia's threat, Lithuania had started purchasing a lot of heavy equipment in bulk and situation is changing as we are the best equipped (at least in some regards) of all Baltic states. 

Though, it is not you who would had been drafted forcefully which is still a thing here with mandatory military draft and forced to fight first grade military like Russia with an automatic rifle which serves better as a club than a gun. With an expired body armor if you are lucky and ride into battle in venerable M113 if you are from elite formation. Under equipment is/was a big issue in a lot of other, poorer countries. Here you are complaining that your newest weapon is unreliable or expensive, but over here we are given bunch of barely functioning gear anymore and often are given ridiculous tasks to complete.

• 1 month later...

Bulletproof shield Buckler-K-R small from JSC NPP "KlASS"

Weight (kg);

- Shield - 12.0
- Protective apron - 6.9
- Bulletproof glass Br 2 protection class - 1.9
- Bulletproof glass Br 4 protection class - 3.9

Protection area (dm2);

Shield (bulletproof panel)
Br 5 protection class - 53.0
____
Protective apron:
Folded (Br 5) - 53.0
Unfolded (Br 2) - 23.6
——
Bulletproof glass
Br 2 / Br 4 protection classes - 1.8

Photo: © Rustam Bogaudinov "rustam12"

Jsc8T7M.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Group 99 (part of Kalashnikov concern) showing their modular body armor system. You can turn on translated subs, they are ok.

NII Stali experimental titanium helmet - Elbrus-T. 2 mm titanium + face protection. Looks like one of those assault helmets that were not in production for some time. That thing covers sides of the head (ears area), unlike LShZ-1 and similar, and have overal higher protected area of soldier's head.

Spoiler