Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ma Deuce: the .50 cal M2 Heavy Machine Gun Thread

I figured we should have a thread for that most venerable of firearms, the M2 .50 cal machine gun.  As a reminder of just how old this weapons system is, here is an article about it from 1921.  This gun is older than many of our grand parents.  Try to think of any piece of machinery dating back to 1921 that is still in use today, either military or civilian.  It's pretty amazing to consider what John Browning accomplished with this design.  

Heavy%2Bmachine%2Bgun%2Bpage%2B1.jpg

Heavy%2Bmachine%2Bgun%2Bpage%2B2.jpg

Heavy%2Bmachine%2Bgun%2Bpage%2B3.jpg

Heavy%2Bmachine%2Bgun%2Bpage%2B4.jpg

It's kind of fascinating reading Colonel O'Leary since the predictions of how the M2 Browning would be used all came to fruition, with its use as an anti-material weapon, ground-based anti-aircraft, air-to-air weapon and a vehicle carried weapon all came to fruition and were viable for at least the next twenty to thirty years. 

I love how the FITTY CAL takes these huge chunks out of people. It's not grapeshot from a parrot gun, jesus!

Just for once, I'd like to see a scene like this where Our Misanthropic Hero uses a mortar to slaughter enemy mooks. Give indirect fire some love (especially since mortars are by far the most effective basic infantry weapons).

And really, would any discussion of the.50 cal be complete without mention of final scene in the craptacular film Rambo IV?

Ah yes, perhaps the pinnacle of people vastly overhyping the .50 BMG's power.

It's still a very powerful round, but that scene just makes me want to rage because the .50 BMG has enough retarded myths about it's power as it is.

How come we don't train all our soldiers to use John Rambo's ultra-effective tactic of "standing behind a tree with a knife."  It's amazing how often that works for him.

It's because God doesn't make men like Colonel Trautman anymore. 

I marvel more at an article that is very dependent on the written word instead of being nothing but a collage of pictures with three paragraphs of writing scattered around. 

That is why I collect old "American Rfileman" magazines from the 20's, 30's and 40's.  Actual serious writing, few but relevant images.

A superb contrast to what that title has become now.

I love how the FITTY CAL takes these huge chunks out of people. It's not grapeshot from a parrot gun, jesus!

Just for once, I'd like to see a scene like this where Our Misanthropic Hero uses a mortar to slaughter enemy mooks. Give indirect fire some love (especially since mortars are by far the most effective basic infantry weapons).

The average person has a hard time getting their head around how important indirect fire weapons are.  I remember when I was a kid, I always had trouble figuring out what exactly to do with my Mortar soldier G.I Joe guy. 

Short_Fuze_20_Explosion_AFA_80-75-85-85_