Sturgeon's House

India's ARJUN tanks mostly broken

Belesarius

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, and you thought the ERA coverage on T-72B3 was bad.

It's almost sad how bad of a tank it is. I am seriously wondering what the engineers were thinking?

Let's mate a T-72 and a Leopard 2! And then give the super accurate rifled gun! And Let's upgrade it with the superior Russian ERA and copy their layout!

It's almost sad how bad of a tank it is. I am seriously wondering what the engineers were thinking?

Let's mate a T-72 and a Leopard 2! And then give the super accurate rifled gun! And Let's upgrade it with the superior Russian ERA and copy their layout!

I imagine they were thinking the same thoughts as the designers of the INSAS rifle were.

I imagine they were thinking the same thoughts as the designers of the INSAS rifle were.

Honestly, it's astonishing how the Indian arms industry uses the best weapons on the market as influences for their indigenous design only to have the product somehow worse than its influences.

One can only imagine the fate of Indian test pilots when India wants to make its indigenous fighter aircrafts.

Honestly, it's astonishing how the Indian arms industry uses the best weapons on the market as influences for their indigenous design only to have the product somehow worse than its influences.

One can only imagine the fate of Indian test pilots when India wants to make its indigenous fighter aircrafts.

Speaking of that

"the problem with India’s HAL Tejas is that it is one of the single worst fighter projects that has ever been conceived of in the history of aviation."

You'll note that all of these broken, awful systems came out of DRDO, which has more or less a monopoly on weapons development in India.  DRDO is, by all accounts, one of those hilariously corrupt, inept, and ineradicable bureaucracies that exists only to perpetuate its own existence.  There is no shortage of good engineers in India, but they are trapped within a terrible system.

Oh well.  They can always buy weapons from the Israelis:

According to this CAD mockup of the Arjun turret:

5Y0uyNx.jpg

It isn't just the slot for the GPS that's a weak point.  It's the almost entire right cheek of the turret.

From here.

So frontal weakpoints for the Arjun, and by "weakpoints" I mean "places where it can probably be penetrated with 1970s era APFSDS out of a U-5TS," include most of the right side of the turret and a spot in the center of the glacis.

Best engineering!

• 1 year later...