Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Personal Anguish of Publication

Virdea

That cat is out of the bag.  My bayonets book is live.  

All writers learn that the Internet is a place where haters hate and everyone else remains silent, so on open forums I will, like my previous works, remain silent.  But in a closed forum like this I can say sending a book out is like sending your kid to pre-school.  Except with an e-book you can get it back and fix your mistakes.

The book has a dead tree version laid out so there is nothing keeping me from putting out a version on real paper.  The issue is cost and interest. The cost to layout a book for press is around $9000, but I did it myself, so that cost is not an issue.  Very small press runs from a properly laid out book is expensive, but if there is interest I will set up a pre-order or kickstarter.  At a certain number of pre-orders it becomes possible to print the books, otherwise no one is charged for their order.  Another way it could happen is Amazon reviews fills up with good reviews.  My publisher will take a flier on a book that has a good reception on Amazon no matter what the sales look like.  The problem with this is the hater issue.  If you go to even a wildly popular book there is about 25% hater posts which drag down review numbers to below where publishers would touch it.  

IF a hardcopy version comes out I plan on providing desk copies to people on the forum at cost by waiving my royalties.

Confirm on hard cover

The publisher I work with for my main work is watching the Amazon comment sections.  A hardback book is possible with an exceptional set of reviews from customers in the next month or two - indicating they can make a profit on the book.  The MAS 1936 book coming out next has a bigger audience sample, so it is more likely to get a hard cover.

I just bought a copy, I'm going know some cool stuff about French bayonets now, sweet.

Thanks.  If you have a Kindle look at it and tell is how it pages.  Kindles are tricky - they sometimes do goofy things with the ePub format and the different models are not always in sync about how they perform.

Thanks.  If you have a Kindle look at it and tell is how it pages.  Kindles are tricky - they sometimes do goofy things with the ePub format and the different models are not always in sync about how they perform.

Looks fine on the kindle reader on my phone... I'll have to plug in and charge the real kindle, but I'll let you know. 

Looks fine on the kindle reader on my phone... I'll have to plug in and charge the real kindle, but I'll let you know. 

Thanks, you cannot know it will work 100% until a couple of people give it a read, and normally  you find out when they drop a bomb on you in Amazon.  

Thanks, you cannot know it will work 100% until a couple of people give it a read, and normally  you find out when they drop a bomb on you in Amazon.  

Yeah, the shit people say in Amazon reviews blows my mind, in particular, when they give something a bad rating for a delivery problem or Amazon problem. 

Yep.  An intelligent review point out highs and lows is seen as a good omen, but every author waits for their first : my Kindle cannot show the pictures it sucks" review when the issue is your Kindle sucks.  Customer service says you smile and apologize.