Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Characters and plot were both weak; despite that I really did enjoy it a lot. It reminds me of a Ralph McQuarrie or Moebius painting: visually rich, lots of detail, and highly suggestive of a wider world.

It's the most technically impressive Mad Max film, and the first to really bring the "universe" to life for me. I went into it having liked the previous movies, but Fury Road is this whole different animal, it's difficult to even compare them.

I don't feel the need to deconstruct this article, since Dan Harmon already did, for me:

Whatever “inherent woman-ness” is, I was afraid to find out. I dreaded getting to the “Green Place.” Would everyone be doing yoga when we got there? And communicating softly and understandingly with each other? Or perhaps tending gardens all day, then doing fertility dances by the light of the moon?

Typical feminist nonsense, literally complaining that the Big Bad has sex with beautiful women:

That no primitive patriarch in his right mind would ever choose these particular women as “breeders” to keep his colony alive is immediately apparent. One of them is so thin and pale as to be almost transparent and looks as if she’ll die in a photogenic way at any second. But she could step onto any catwalk during Fashion Week, no questions asked.

You have to be pretty nuts to be envious of fictional characters who get raped routinely.

There's some prime MRA whinging about the movie because something something female character actually gets agency, quelle horreur! (neatly sidestepping that the guy's always been getting dragged along for the ride in the whole series.

MRAs are just internet feminists with a different platform, really. I think the funniest ones are those who say they'll never have sex with a woman because wimmin r bade or something, they're awesome at rationalizing.

MRAs are just internet feminists with a different platform, really. I think the funniest ones are those who say they'll never have sex with a woman because wimmin r bade or something, they're awesome at rationalizing.

I adore the concept of MGTOW forums. If you're actually going your own way and removing women from your life, why do you have a forum dedicated to discussing how you aren't letting them affect your life?

I adore the concept of MGTOW forums. If you're actually going your own way and removing women from your life, why do you have a forum dedicated to discussing how you aren't letting them affect your life?

Kinda like atheists that form their own clubs and spend most of their time complaining about a god they don't believe in.  Full disclosure, I am an atheist, as is my wife.  We typically avoid atheists that spend their time complaining about religion.     

Kinda like atheists that form their own clubs and spend most of their time complaining about a god they don't believe in.  Full disclosure, I am an atheist, as is my wife.  We typically avoid atheists that spend their time complaining about religion.     

It's an unfulfilling hobby unless one of your life goals is to spend life in a state of smugness.

http://jalopnik.com/how-the-man-behind-the-machines-of-mad-max-put-a-hellsc-1704037927

All the cars in Mad Max ran, and the stunts were not CGI.  I think that's one of the main reasons why the cinematography and visuals of the film come across as so awesome to me.  Nothing really tripped my bullshit meter as hell no, not possible.  It's ridiculous and overblown as a good action movie should be, but the stunts and physics work.

Seriously, if feminism is what was depicted in the new Mad Max movie, then sign me up.  Male characters and female characters teamed up to beat the bad guys and make their world a better place.  And lots of awesome car crashes happened.  What's not to like?  

That is the spectrum of feminism under which I am a feminist. Don't stop people being awesome whatever their bits.

Seriously, if feminism is what was depicted in the new Mad Max movie, then sign me up.  Male characters and female characters teamed up to beat the bad guys and make their world a better place.  And lots of awesome car crashes happened.  What's not to like?  

The whole movie I was worried that they - Hollywood - would "go there" and ruin the movie by spouting feminist drivel as "the moral of the story". It never did, and I'm extremely happy with that. I'm also extremely happy with the fact that neither feminists nor MRAs are happy with the movie, since that tells me I wasn't blinded by the awesome (real!) stunts.

That is the spectrum of feminism under which I am a feminist. Don't stop people being awesome whatever their bits.

Truth was spoken. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I don't think that calling oneself a "feminist" gets you any credit anymore. Most people don't care what you call yourself, they care whether you are or are not a jackass (and the only jackass here is yours truly). The screeching harpies in the bleachers who gorge themselves on dressing-covered kale salad, ice cream and margaritas don't care if you call yourself a feminist, either; they don't even give a fuck if you're as progressive as Whil Wheaton.

So I ask folks who aren't awful SJWs but call themselves feminists: What's the point?

I don't think that calling oneself a "feminist" gets you any credit anymore. Most people don't care what you call yourself, they care whether you are or are not a jackass (and the only jackass here is yours truly). The screeching harpies in the bleachers who gorge themselves on dressing-covered kale salad, ice cream and margaritas don't care if you call yourself a feminist, either; they don't even give a fuck if you're as progressive as Whil Wheaton.

So I ask folks who aren't awful SJWs but call themselves feminists: What's the point?

It doesn't get me credit, and I most certainly don't do it for some sort of status. The only reason I do it is to deny lovely souls such as TERFs (who I most certainly don't consider SJWs because they're explicitly fighting for social injustice, which is actually a lot of the reason I have severe issues with the term) control over the discourse. I'd much rather the big assholes don't get to set the tone of discussion and tar reasonable people by association.