Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

9 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

Also doesn't the T-64 in WT have a textolite layer?

Yes, the T-64A in WT appears to have the double textolite layers sandwiched between a thick steel strike face and a thinner backing layer.  It's all beautifully modeled in the X-ray view.

But I do not know if this is accurate.  Gaijin isn't exactly a paragon of historical research.

I got to take out the A-36 before heading off to work.

I don't know if the other players were just being morons; but it was almost obscenely easy to rack up kills by not bothering to climb, heading over to the ground targets to zap other attackers and then wending my way back to zap fighters. The only thing that broke my flow was running out of ammo (which immediately resulted in an F4-U and a Ki-44 impotently trying to trail me) after sawing three planes in half with badly-aimed .50 fire.

Edit: anyway, apache is gud and makes me feel gud. Fuck climbing.

4 hours ago, Toxn said:

I got to take out the A-36 before heading off to work.

I don't know if the other players were just being morons; but it was almost obscenely easy to rack up kills by not bothering to climb, heading over to the ground targets to zap other attackers and then wending my way back to zap fighters. The only thing that broke my flow was running out of ammo (which immediately resulted in an F4-U and a Ki-44 impotently trying to trail me) after sawing three planes in half with badly-aimed .50 fire.

Edit: anyway, apache is gud and makes me feel gud. Fuck climbing.

US around the BR can be pretty nasty.  Like I had posted just a bit ago, I was playing similarly in my P-47D while shooting planes down left and right.  The .50 is really nasty, half the time you only need to hit someone for a fraction of a second to kill them.

3 minutes ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

US around the BR can be pretty nasty.  Like I had posted just a bit ago, I was playing similarly in my P-47D while shooting planes down left and right.  The .50 is really nasty, half the time you only need to hit someone for a fraction of a second to kill them.

The last time I played WT with any regularity, the low-level US planes were struggling (Except F4-U, which everyone and their dog was spamming). Most of them were (and are) rather slick birds which maintain energy well, but they suck for climbing and struggle to turn when out of their ideal speed. I think part of the reason I'm doing better in P-40, P-39 and A-36 than I used to is simply that I don't bother trying to climb much and instead head to places I know low-level bombers and attackers will be while waiting for the inevitable fighter furball to wind down to a lower level. You get a lot more love dealing with Yaks and Me-109s if you scream in at high speed for the first pass near their altitude and then resolutely keep the fight in the vertical.

For an idiot like me, who can't aim, the massive benefit of the .50s (beyond the leap in damage output over 7.62mm guns) is just sheer ammo capacity. Blazing away with multi-second bursts while trying to lead the target properly becomes a lot more viable when you can do it more than once. The Russian birds, especially, have issues in this regard for me.

I'm talking AB at least.

When I'm running low tier US planes, I try to only go after people who are already vulnerable.  Like you said, attackers or fighters who wasted all of their energy are prime targets.  In most cases, I make sure that I've got enough energy that I can get away from those people and I tend to avoid the people who are in a good position to counter me.

4 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

So what would be the quickest way to the T-64? I heard that tier 5 premiums are bad at researching lower tiers, and I heard something about talismans and spades?

Spading a vehicle in WT is the same as acing one in WoT.  Talismans premiumify a tank, though only in regards to boosts RP earnings.  Unlike WoT, gaijin actually gives you some numbers to go off of to know how much a vehicle will make or how much it'll cost to repair.  Unlike normal vehicles, I do not believe that premiums suffer any from researching lower tier vehicles, so a tier 5 prem shouldn't have that issue.  Both premium and normal vehicles are horrible at researching vehicles 2 or more tiers higher.

I will say that I wouldn't limit myself to only a tier 5 premium, I'd consider tier 3 or 4 as well.  It is nice to have some tanks beyond a single premium to flesh out your lineup with, and past tier 2, the difference between what premiums earn isn't as large as you'd expect.  It wouldn't help with actually researching high tiers, but if you needed cash, you could run a lineup of multiple tier 3 premiums.

@RobotMinisterofTrueKorea is grinding to the T-64 right now. High tier premiums blue through low tier tanks very quickly. Honestly, buying the object 120 is going to be one of the fastest ways, because then you only need to research and purchase two other rank 5 tanks. The Object 906 is going be the cheapest and the fastest, and then you need one other. The problem is that unless you want to buy a bunch of respawns for your 120, you won't want to drive it because it is the only BR 8.0 premium that Russia has. As far a premiums, the IS-6 has issues, but it's tough, fast, and hits like a wrecking ball. You could do a combination of the IS-6, T-44-122, and T-34-100 to get half of your rank 4 vehicles out of the way, and then use those to grind out the rest.

2 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

Respawns?

So basically get the 120, enough gold to buy 2-3 tier 4 premiums and get premium account? Also I am ok with converting free XP, or whatever its called in WT.

You can spend gold to buy backups, which are a consumable item that lets you respawn in that vehicle for a second time that match instead of needing to pick a different one.  I don't really ever play above BR 7.0 for a few reasons, so my knowledge on powergrinding towards high tiers is limited.

Gaijin seems to call it convertable experience (isn't free because you have to spend gold on it :^) ).  I'm pretty close to having 10m of it just rotting.

Convertible RP accrues as fast as regular RP. It's their method of encouraging you to drop money on the game.

I'm discovering that power grinding high tiers is best done in PvE. I've been getting about 7-8k per match. Granted, the matches take longer, but it's less frustrating.

43 minutes ago, Ulric said:

Convertible RP accrues as fast as regular RP. It's their method of encouraging you to drop money on the game.

I'm discovering that power grinding high tiers is best done in PvE. I've been getting about 7-8k per match. Granted, the matches take longer, but it's less frustrating.

In the pve defend the flag mission?