Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

Not really. Like anything in life, you have to work for what you want. I've wasted way to much time (and money) acquiring pixel tanks when I could have been doing much more productive things. I've basically switched my video game time over to Solidworks for now, and it's a similar all consuming monster.

1 hour ago, Ulric said:

Not really. Like anything in life, you have to work for what you want. I've wasted way to much time (and money) acquiring pixel tanks when I could have been doing much more productive things. I've basically switched my video game time over to Solidworks for now, and it's a similar all consuming monster.

I find the argument for videa games as a second job to be weak.

But then again, if the average customer is someone who puts in 5 hours a day then that's who they're going to cater to.

Time playing with Solidworks isn't wasted, at least :)

I guess all of the complaints that I heard about clan wars reward tanks has made me tone deaf to certain sentiments. The people who earned the rewards are the people who where both incredibly good and highly dedicated. Clan wars was a rough time, and when I was in Foxey, we had 50-60 people showing up almost every evening for several hours, for a month.

8 hours ago, Toxn said:

Is anyone else starting to get a bit weirded out by just how big the discrepency between the tank tech and plane tech has become? Tanks are up to the beginning of the 80s in terms of technology, while the most advanced planes are still gen 2 jets.

Relatedly: is anyone else here kind of resigned to never actually getting to top tier at this point? Because I've been playing (very intermittantly) for years now and am still solidly stuck in the middle tier.

Maybe it's just an old-person thing: with maybe an hour a day to dick around, its just impossible to rack up enough hours (something like 500 being needed per nation as a minimum if you don't spend money on it) to actually ever get to the end-game content.

I've been playing since before they added tanks, I still don't really have any progress into tier 5s, though that's probably got a lot to do with how I don't play high tiers because of the module grind and my lack of a premium account.

The charms of realist battle are fun at times.  I got in a spot in the M4A1 and managed to kill a T-34 and KV1, the 34 before it saw me.  Being able to sit in a spot on a flank and shoot people while they have no clue is fun! 

shot-2018.03.24-12.46.58-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.24-12.36.05-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.24-12.33.28-1600x900.jpg

The battle was perfect because all the ranges were under 600 feet, so I could hit with the first shot. 

Some other fun screenshots. 

shot-2018.03.23-20.12.42-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.23-20.10.44-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.23-20.05.24-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.23-19.38.15-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.19-21.05.26-1600x900.jpg

Panthere in its natural state.

shot-2018.03.17-21.43.35-1600x900.jpg

shot-2018.03.15-20.33.18-1600x1000.jpg

PSA in case any of you haven't noticed it yet, but you can use those points in their online store too.  Like right now, instead of giving gaijin my actual money for more eagles or a B1 Ter, I can just use those points instead.  It's 1:1 with USD, which is crazy since I was selling those plane crates for 0.7 Gaijin thingies right when the event had started (they're about half that now).

ASVGSaj.png

• 2 weeks later...

So. Trying to catch up ..

Apparently there is some fuferall about how Gaijin handles HESH and HEAT (and post pen fragmentation in general)  that has me asking "Really what were you thinking?".

Seems some shot will produce "spall" (as they call it) that assumes a 90 degree (and only that) radius from point of pen.  And from there will just superball at 90degree angles.

Being one of those who uses WT as a "Oh I'm a bit tipsy, the BoB movie is on and I want to gank Jerries with a Spit" escape, how true and /or relevant is this?

Since top tier tanks are half a decade out, I've decided to occupy the intervening time with hating myself.

I've been playing the M4A3 (105), which manages to keep every shortcoming of the normal Sherman (height, mediocre manoeuvrability, poor armour, a tendency for shots to instantly find your ammo box) and gets rid of all the advantages.

Anyway, it's a dog but I still end up having a good game with it every now and then. So I'm going to unlock the tumour to really make myself miserable.

Why they decided the SAu-40 needs to be a higher BR than the StuG A despite being worse in every way, I'll never know.  I guess it makes people want to drop money on skipping it though, so that's probably it.  Give them money to skip the crappy low tier tanks so you can give them more money to make your high tier tanks playable without hours of soulless and painful grinding.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:24 AM, Toxn said:

Since top tier tanks are half a decade out, I've decided to occupy the intervening time with hating myself.

I've been playing the M4A3 (105), which manages to keep every shortcoming of the normal Sherman (height, mediocre manoeuvrability, poor armour, a tendency for shots to instantly find your ammo box) and gets rid of all the advantages.

Anyway, it's a dog but I still end up having a good game with it every now and then. So I'm going to unlock the tumour to really make myself miserable.

The M4A1 at 3.3, the same as the 105, is pretty competitive. Even in RB, or more so in RB actually.   I find 3.3-37 American (75mm Shermans) more fun than 4.7-5.0, where the M6 comes in, but I enjoy both.  The 37mm on the M6 is surprisingly handy in AB, and works well on hellcats!.  

5 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

The M4A1 at 3.3, the same as the 105, is pretty competitive. Even in RB, or more so in RB actually.   I find 3.3-37 American (75mm Shermans) more fun than 4.7-5.0, where the M6 comes in, but I enjoy both.  The 37mm on the M6 is surprisingly handy in AB, and works well on hellcats!.  

The 75mm shermans are all wonderful, and I'm collecting them like pokemon at this point.

The 105, on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Toxn said:

The 75mm shermans are all wonderful, and I'm collecting them like pokemon at this point.

The 105, on the other hand...

I've done that with T-34s. I think the only ones I don't have are the T-34-100 and the German captured T-34 that inexplicably has all the best parts of their different T-34-76s in a single tank. It has the STZ hull with a '42 turret, the extra tracks from about 3 other T-34s draped all over it, and the widest selection of ammo possible. Of course the Germans would get a better T-34-76 than the Soviets would, that makes total sense.