Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

14 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Worst tonk for me so far? Definitely the tumour.

Like, I've joked about playing it whenever I want to hate myself more. But it's no joke. This thing makes me hate myself and long for the sweet oblivion of death. It exists entirely as a testament to masochism and to give the other incredibly shitty low-tier French tanks something to rag on.

Tumor?

worse than the AMC.34 YR, FCM.36, or H.35? (I never got past those tanks, I still think I have a 20% win rate in the AMC... and less for the others) 

24 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Sau-40

The nickname also aptly describes what you'll develop if you play it for any length of time.

Image result for it's not a tumor

low hanging fruit, I know. 

5 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

worse than the AMC.34 YR, FCM.36, or H.35? (I never got past those tanks, I still think I have a 20% win rate in the AMC... and less for the others) 

Image result for it's not a tumor

low hanging fruit, I know. 

Oh they're all awful (fuck the H.35 in particular, for instance): slow, completely undergunned, with no crew survivabity and armour that only looks decent until you realise that the Nazis inexplicably get access to magic 20mm rounds which allow the PzII to cut them up like so much warm butter. Meaning that there is literally not a single tank in your BR (aside from a few equally laughable failboxes like the I-Go Ko) that can't fuck you up six ways to Sunday long before you ever get close enough to use your pathetic 37mm potato gun on them.

But the tumour is worse. It's a slow, shitty Stug A with worse armour, fewer crew, worse mobility, a worse gun and an actual freaking tumour on its head that means you can't ever hide your shameful lardbody. And its BR is 2.0, meaning it can fight KVs, T-34s and Shermans. It is worse in almost every respect than the TD you research it from (which is merely mediocre and a bit meme-y).

God cried on the day some drunkard frenchman set this abomination to paper, and promptly helped the Germans over the Meuse to ensure that it never had a chance to reproduce. Even so, one of these blasphemous abominations somehow got assembled, lurched out of Somua factory door and gave the sadists at Gaijin an excuse to put it in game to torture us a few decades later.

Such is the nature of evil.

I find it funny that armor "experts" routinely characterize French tanks during the Invasion as "the best in the world", let down by "bad tactics".

No, just because they had decent guns and good armor does not make them good tanks. The French brass basically looked at the mid-1930s equivalents of the Valiant and said "looks good!"

The Panzer III was a far better vehicle than anything the French had.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I find it funny that armor "experts" routinely characterize French tanks during the Invasion as "the best in the world", let down by "bad tactics".

No, just because they had decent guns and good armor does not make them good tanks. The French brass basically looked at the mid-1930s equivalents of the Valiant and said "looks good!"

They simply have to be good tanks, there is no other possible reason for why the Germans had trouble with them, they HAD to be good!

4 hours ago, Toxn said:

I actually got the IS-1 recently. It's the first tank I've had whose armour is actually worth a damn. You still get BTFO by every jackass who can aim well enough to hit your mantlet or that stupid quarter plate thingy on the hull, but actualy taking a few hits and coming back for more just feels sooo right. I'm working towards the T-34-85 too :)

Some of my most easy-mode tonks, which I scrupulously avoid playing because I'm a good person and want my family to respect me, are the PzIV E/F1 (they're pretty much the same), F2 and Puma. 

The things that seem to good for what they are is all the damn German wheeled scout cars.   And yeah the Panzer IVE and F1 are pretty good, they can easily take out a T35. 

I was pissed when they moved the Stuarts to 1.7, what the fuck is that? How is a Stuart 1.7 when the T35 is still 1.3??

1 hour ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

The things that seem to good for what they are is all the damn German wheeled scout cars.   And yeah the Panzer IVE and F1 are pretty good, they can easily take out a T35. 

I was pissed when they moved the Stuarts to 1.7, what the fuck is that? How is a Stuart 1.7 when the T35 is still 1.3??

Because the truth of the matter is that the Stuart is even more OP than the T-35. The M3A1 is incredibly good in that game. 

6 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Personally: 

Arcade is for 2 kinds of people

1. People who say they hate WoT, but secretly wish they were playing WoT again. 

2. For people who love FPSes (CoD, BF, etc.) but also love tanks. 

Realistic is for the people who legit hated WoT and are trying to get away from it (only to be treated with plenty of arcade-ish nonsense).  

Simulator is for those people who want to play a realistic-ish tank game but don't want to play Steel Beasts. 

Air Arcade can be surprisingly fun with its fast paced, almost movie like action, and unlimited ammo (also like many action movies :P), as well as respawns. 

Air Realistic is as @Toxn said: 

“fly for 5-15 minutes only to get instantly smashed by someone whom climbed even harder than you”. 

Air sim... never really played it much, but everything is harder. Take-offs, landings, flying in general feels less responsive and more prone to over correction. Play at your own risk. 

I do enjoy Air Arcade, and it amusing me in that mode, more often than not, the alt monkey spawn campers lose the fight for their team because, in many of the battles, the side that kills more ground stuff wins and they never blow their altitude load to come down and kill attack planes.   Air Realistic, is just trash, to much work for way to few rewards.   Even Air Arcade is pushing it on the fun factor the higher you go, I think 4.7 to 5.0 ish is where the fun stops. 

I got into air RB for a little by playing lower tier American planes (BR 3.0-3.3) and the Ki-61 Otsu.  I like having to think more about how I'm flying and the xp bonus helps with grinding, especially when you have a talisman here and there.  However, it feels like I only manage to kill stuff in 1 out of every 5 battles or so.  The other 4 are split between getting shot down without being able to do anything (usually by one or more BF109 that climbed faster) or climbing up only to miss the fighting taking place 8km out and 3.5km below.  The battles can feel a lot more rewarding, but it really doesn't happen enough to be really worthwhile.

I agree that air AB's sweetspot is  3.0-4.0. 

5 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

I got into air RB for a little by playing lower tier American planes (BR 3.0-3.3) and the Ki-61 Otsu.  I like having to think more about how I'm flying and the xp bonus helps with grinding, especially when you have a talisman here and there.  However, it feels like I only manage to kill stuff in 1 out of every 5 battles or so.  The other 4 are split between getting shot down without being able to do anything (usually by one or more BF109 that climbed faster) or climbing up only to miss the fighting taking place 8km out and 3.5km below.  The battles can feel a lot more rewarding, but it really doesn't happen enough to be really worthwhile.

I agree that air AB's sweetspot is  3.0-4.0. 

My happy place for air RB was going medium-low with the P-39 and then just flying her as intended (keep the speed at 350km/h and above, fly in big vertical loops, adjust by half-rolling to make yourself harder to hit). You're not really going affect any battles down there, but you get one or two guaranteed attacker/bomber kills per game and then get to either help mop up as the furball moves to ground or pit yourself against the entire enemy team as last man standing.

I still remember one match on Korea where I got to do the latter and got about 5 kills (not including terrain kills from eager idiots trying to dive straight down on me) before the pack of Mig-3s and Yaks cut me to pieces.

4 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I already mentioned Puma :)

It's insane to me how the devs put that thing at 2.7 (I have a similar beef about the Hellcat), and makes me think that they simply don't bother playing tank RB themselves.

15 minutes ago, Toxn said:

and makes me think that they simply don't bother playing their own damn game themselves.

This is how I feel about WT: the devs are almost completely disconnected from their community... kinda like most politicians. But when I look at some of the decisions the devs make, I can’t help but think “do you actually play your own game?” 

*cough* French tanks *cough* 

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

The funny thing for me was reading up and discovering that the French procurement system was like the Germans, but worse.

Basically, French tank manufacture in the 1930s-1940 is an object lesson in how the wrong type of industrial competition (for political favour rather than for contracts) wrong type of industrial cooperation (to share profit rather than rationalise production) and wrong type of government oversight (fiddling with design details without a coherent strategy) can come together to produce products which are mediocre, delayed and massively too expensive for what you get.

2 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

This is how I feel about WT: the devs are almost completely disconnected from their community... kinda like most politicians. But when I look at some of the decisions the devs make, I can’t help but think “do you actually play your own game?” 

*cough* French tanks *cough* 

I think when they deign to play with us mere mortals its from the safety of premium tanks which are perfectly well 'balanced' in terms of giving their drivers every possible advantage without actively breaking the game in the process. Even then, however, there are a few premiums whose existence is inexplicable.

And yeah, I don't think anyone over there plays RB or sim.

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

As much as some people enjoy them as meme units, I still hold rocket artillery vehicles for ground forces to be a dumb and unbefitting addition to the game.  The Katyusha and Panzerwerfer stand out in particular.

Agreed. I think their sole function is to provide content to YouTube channels.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

Agreed. I think their sole function is to provide content to YouTube channels.

There are something to add flavor keep the game interesting for the driver. I can't speak to the Katyusha or the Panzerwerfer, but the BM-8-24 is actually really fun to play because of how unconventional it is 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny RB battle story.  Wheeled vehicles get really common in low lever RB tanks.  I was defending a cap, in 1.3 BR fight, and took some damage, in panzer IVc.    So I kill like two tanks, and then get hit from behind with an AA gun truck. I popped smoke, and started backing up, he drove into the smoke, and rammed me, and I kept backing up, fliping him down a hill, when the smoke cleared, there he was upside down, and an easy kill!

I'll screenshot the replay if I can find it.