Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

2 hours ago, RobotMinisterofTrueKorea said:

I've started to go up the German tree. It's an interesting experience. It's less OP than I figured it would be. The Panzer IV with the longer 75mm are solid tanks but, if anyone looks at you, you die horribly. T-34/76s are the bane of my existence whenever I play that tree. Still, they're very potent, and the mix of vulnerability plus lethality makes them pretty fun. The Panzer III is still the unexpected highlight of the tree. The Pz IIIL is EASILY my best tank stats wise with a win rate in the 86% range and a 81:7 KDR. As a weird rule, I'm trying to avoid the big cats and go for the German tanks that receive less Wehrawank. We'll see how long my patience lasts. The end goal is to get to the West German stuff, so I can play Wargame in War Thunder.

My biggest takeaway is that the German tree appears to be great gun on shockingly mediocre to outright bad chassis. Except for when it's a bad gun on a shockingly mediocre chasses (Early Pz IV). German HE filler on APHE shells also has interesting characteristics. They don't seem to ever set off ammunition. They will kill crew like there's no tomorrow, but you're banking on spalling from the shell penetration doing a lot of your damage. Maybe it changes later, but it was a surprising lesson. The US tanks have spoiled me.

Early PzIV is amazing once you unlock the high-pen heat rounds. Then you play like an M8 with better survivability, massively better turret traverse and a wider shell selection (plus the stock shell isn't a goddamn HE). PzIII is a tank that would be the highlight of another nation's tree in that spot but here it just seems mediocre.

The long 75mm on the PzIV F2 is, like, a tier above where it should be but still comes attached to a chassis with decent mobility, decent depression, decent traverse and smoke. I'd say it's actually a bit better in both relative and absolute terms than the later uparmoured PzIVs. 

For the other 'tanks': the Puma with the 50mm is retardedly good and the Stugs are all great if you get a good game but suffer at the hands of decent players who can into weakspots. The Gepard and PzIi can go to hell with their 60mm-pen autocannons.

Overall the strengths of the early-tree Germans are uniformly good guns (again, short 75 is great once upgraded), decent to good mobility and decent to good gun handling. Which fits the meta very well (Puma, again, being the exemplar).

They're not generally OP in the strict sense, but also don't have any real weakpoints compared to, say, the early French vehicles (or American vehicles such as the M8 and 105mm Sherman). Plus Gaijoob actually gives a fuck about them so they keep getting new low-tier vehicles to fit the evolving meta.

Overall, having played every nation's low-tier tanks except Japan, I'd put the overall experience of BR1-3 as follows (ordered from best to worst):

- Germany: a mix of good vehicles of various sorts, with no obvious duds.

- America: mostly solid, with one or two otherwise-good vehicles having glaring flaws.

- USSR: a mix of amazing vehicles and meme-fodder. Play the BTs, T-28, T-50, early T-34 and Zis-30. Leave the rest.

- Britain: all tanks seem to combine good features and glaring flaws at a 1:1 ratio. Survivability is near-universally low thanks to low crew numbers. I hope you like the 2-pounder, because that's going to be all you have to work with for a while.

- France: everything is pretty much dogshit until the AMC35 and Char B1. Abandon hope.

- Japan: no idea. The I-Go Ko was so awful it erased my memories of the entire tree.

8 hours ago, Toxn said:

Overall, having played every nation's low-tier tanks except Japan, I'd put the overall experience of BR1-3 as follows (ordered from best to worst):

- Germany: a mix of good vehicles of various sorts, with no obvious duds.

- America: mostly solid, with one or two otherwise-good vehicles having glaring flaws.

- USSR: a mix of amazing vehicles and meme-fodder. Play the BTs, T-28, T-50, early T-34 and Zis-30. Leave the rest.

- Britain: all tanks seem to combine good features and glaring flaws at a 1:1 ratio. Survivability is near-universally low thanks to low crew numbers. I hope you like the 2-pounder, because that's going to be all you have to work with for a while.

- France: everything is pretty much dogshit until the AMC35 and Char B1. Abandon hope.

- Japan: no idea. The I-Go Ko was so awful it erased my memories of the entire tree.

Japan is pain until you get the Chi Ha Kai, then it's playable. You can jump from that to the Chi Nu, then the Chaffee and the Na To. After that, I have no clue, but my next jump will be to the ST-A series and the Type 61. After that you have no choices. Use the STB to grind the Type 90, and throw as many free backups at them as you can.

My personal experience was that the early Panzer IVs kick ass if you know how to use them. PzGr. Rot is a mini nuke, and there isn't much that can resist it. What can resist it is usually small vehicles vulnerable to crew losses from Hl 38B/C. The large internals and 5 crew members mean fairly good survivability if you aren't ammo-racked.

37mm guns are generally suffering.

58 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

My personal experience was that the early Panzer IVs kick ass if you know how to use them. PzGr. Rot is a mini nuke, and there isn't much that can resist it. What can resist it is usually small vehicles vulnerable to crew losses from Hl 38B/C. The large internals and 5 crew members mean fairly good survivability if you aren't ammo-racked.

37mm guns are generally suffering.

My favourite moment with PzIV F1 was finding an ambush spot above a lane and then stopping an advance lead by two Char Bs in its tracks with HEAT. I think I got hit once (by an AMC playing smart) the entire time.

Gotta love when the guy who plays War Thunder for a living is like "what the fuck are 109-F4s doing here?":

He then proceeds to get his ass handed to him by two dudes who know the bare rudiments of BnZ and baiting.

Edit: which, fair enough, is partly just him getting unlucky and getting a maximum uptier (rank 2.7 vs rank 3.7). But there is also realistically nothing he could do against two half-competent dudes in F1s (rank 2.3) either, so...

4 hours ago, Toxn said:

Gotta love when the guy who plays War Thunder for a living is like "what the fuck are 109-F4s doing here?":

He then proceeds to get his ass handed to him by two dudes who know the bare rudiments of BnZ and baiting.

Edit: which, fair enough, is partly just him getting unlucky and getting a maximum uptier (rank 2.7 vs rank 3.7). But there is also realistically nothing he could do against two half-competent dudes in F1s (rank 2.3) either, so...

He's usually pretty good on calling "bullshit", and this is a good example of generally fucktastic MM.

I suspect some times/days the game is scraping the wood from the bottom of the barrel to make teams.

7 hours ago, Meplat said:

He's usually pretty good on calling "bullshit", and this is a good example of generally fucktastic MM.

I suspect some times/days the game is scraping the wood from the bottom of the barrel to make teams.

That could be because I'm not the only one who gave up on air RB.

On 10/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, Toxn said:

That could be because I'm not the only one who gave up on air RB.

Shit I gave up on RB and full sim long ago.

I even had the gear to pull full sim (other than the VR shit)..

The relatives/friends I played with have toasters for PC's so they could not have managed those modes even after I quit pub games (due to teleporting aircraft).

On 10/10/2018 at 3:01 PM, LoooSeR said:

Somebody on reddit is busy making those things.

8dllxmrkvar11.jpg

wfh4l088zpq11.jpg

WoT premiums in 3...2...

Coming soon to Warthunder, once the Boris and Natasha obtain sekrit documents from Moose and Squirrel.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, Collimatrix said:

Don't tiggers and tigger IIs have different turret ring diameters?

Jentz and Doyle list 1830mm for the Tiger and 1850 for Tiger II

On 10/10/2018 at 3:01 PM, LoooSeR said:

Somebody on reddit is busy making those things.

8dllxmrkvar11.jpg

WoT premiums in 3...2...

This one reminds me of some FB game trying to ripoff WoT(Think it was called "Ground War: Tanks" or something) where it had a "VK 45.02 H" that was basically this

And since this is an "effort" thread, might as well gloat a little...
KyKizcE.png

Completed the award just before September ended

53 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

How is it not ideal?

It didn't change the fact that end tier stick vehicle grind is painful enough to deter people from playing it. I've been trying to grind out there parts that I need for the Abrams in the PvE mode, and it's takes hours to unlock a single module.

It takes you longer to spade a vehicle than it takes to unlock the next vehicle.

29 minutes ago, Ulric said:

It didn't change the fact that end tier stick vehicle grind is painful enough to deter people from playing it. I've been trying to grind out there parts that I need for the Abrams in the PvE mode, and it's takes hours to unlock a single module.

It takes you longer to spade a vehicle than it takes to unlock the next vehicle.

But... getting more RP would unlock modules faster?

That may be, but playing a stock top rank tank in PvP is an incredibly painful experience. This should make it faster to research parts, FPE, crew, and adjustment of fire (the 4 things I would consider absolutely necessary, not including any specific ammunition you have to unlock). But playing without any of those is just asking for a bad time.

13 hours ago, Ulric said:

That may be, but playing a stock top rank tank in PvP is an incredibly painful experience. This should make it faster to research parts, FPE, crew, and adjustment of fire (the 4 things I would consider absolutely necessary, not including any specific ammunition you have to unlock). But playing without any of those is just asking for a bad time.

They're also changing FPE, you can now research it immediately after FPE without having to unlock level 2 modifications.

4 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

They're also changing FPE, you can now research it immediately after FPE without having to unlock level 2 modifications.

Ah yes, a change: we acquire FPE after we research FPE. 

9 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Welp, I've officially quit WT.

Back to WoT like the whipped bitch I am, I guess. Gotta get my tank fix somehow.

Yes, join the dark side. JOIN IT!!