Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

I crash less when playing the big fleet ships, which is great, and it’s easier to progress through the fleet. I’m already at type 1936 mob, and almost have the fletcher since the update dropped

I have the premium Fletcher, and the destroyer right before it. Seems like Fleet is rarely busy though, when is a good time to play it?

The big ships sure are pretty though

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.22-16.55.23.jpg

5 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I have the premium Fletcher, and the destroyer right before it. Seems like Fleet is rarely busy though, when is a good time to play it?

I play later, closer to after work hours, and on weekends. I usually don’t wait more than 2-3 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I fired up WT after a six-month hiatus and... it still sucks :( Or, at least, realistic ground forces still does.

I'm not sure how Gaijin manages it (and honestly you'd need a PhD in game design to do the topic justice), but it's just so frustrating on so many levels. It's like an anti-game.

2 minutes ago, Toxn said:

So I fired up WT after a six-month hiatus and... it still sucks :( Or, at least, realistic ground forces still does.

I'm not sure how Gaijin manages it (and honestly you'd need a PhD in game design to do the topic justice), but it's just so frustrating on so many levels. It's like an anti-game.

Bad teammates, bad level design, or bad vehicles? 

11 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Bad teammates, bad level design, or bad vehicles? 

I'm honestly not qualified to say.

I think part of it is that WT, like a lot of FtP games, caters heavily to folk who can either put 6 hours a day in, or pay for premium. I think you'll find that those folks get plenty of fun out, and can rack up huge kill counts etc. Which is fine - I'm used to this dynamic whenever I play anything multiplayer just because I'm not 20 and don't have hours a day to put into them.

But somehow they go above and beyond this baseline level of feeling like a pinata for whales, and manage to inject frustration into every part of the experience.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

I'm honestly not qualified to say.

I think part of it is that WT, like a lot of FtP games, caters heavily to folk who can either put 6 hours a day in, or pay for premium. I think you'll find that those folks get plenty of fun out, and can rack up huge kill counts etc. Which is fine - I'm used to this dynamic whenever I play anything multiplayer just because I'm not 20 and don't have hours a day to put into them.

But somehow they go above and beyond this baseline level of feeling like a pinata for whales, and manage to inject frustration into every part of the experience.

That's how I feel any time I play anything above 6.3 RGB.  I still enjoy 3.7 the most, and I couldn't play the game non-premium, it's already to much work to get to anything high end. I think part of it is the stupid crew skill mechanic. If you don't drop money on it getting crews skilled up takes forever, and does make a difference. A really big one in airplanes. 

Still, its better than WOT.  It's also very pretty if you have a good system.     My only goal other to just mess around was to get all the odd ball Shermans, and I'm almost to the M36B1, in the Italian Tree.  That just leaves the stupid oddball Sherman in the Chinese Tree, I'm not sure I'll bother with. I think the game is designed around a player who plays 20 to 50 games a day. 

I'd post some fun beauty shots but posting images on this forum is broken right now... 

11 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

That's how I feel any time I play anything above 6.3 RGB.  I still enjoy 3.7 the most, and I couldn't play the game non-premium, it's already to much work to get to anything high end. I think part of it is the stupid crew skill mechanic. If you don't drop money on it getting crews skilled up takes forever, and does make a difference. A really big one in airplanes. 

Still, its better than WOT.  It's also very pretty if you have a good system.     My only goal other to just mess around was to get all the odd ball Shermans, and I'm almost to the M36B1, in the Italian Tree.  That just leaves the stupid oddball Sherman in the Chinese Tree, I'm not sure I'll bother with. I think the game is designed around a player who plays 20 to 50 games a day. 

I'd post some fun beauty shots but posting images on this forum is broken right now... 

For me it's up and down the line, although the lower tiers are better. It becomes nigh unplayable around tier 6, but even tier 2 has plenty of 50mm pumas and the like run by lvl 100 players who seem to see effortlessly through smoke and cover and repair damaged components in seconds.

Agreed that the game is very obviously designed for folk with disposeable income and hours a day to put in. And also that it's very pretty.

So, to amuse myself I sometimes think what game I'd rather play in the same genre, and what I've come up with so far is something sim-esque in the same way, but divorced from historical teams and vehicles. Preferably where you could put together components (at least to a limited extent). And where you'd get rewards based partly on how hard you've handicapped yourself (kind of like the system used in Brigador).

So, basically, WoT in the WT engine but with a handicap system where your rewards (XP, currency) are higher for taking out underpowered vehicles.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

For me it's up and down the line, although the lower tiers are better. It becomes nigh unplayable around tier 6, but even tier 2 has plenty of 50mm pumas and the like run by lvl 100 players who seem to see effortlessly through smoke and cover and repair damaged components in seconds.

Agreed that the game is very obviously designed for folk with disposeable income and hours a day to put in. And also that it's very pretty.

I have some amazing screen shots too, lol!

Yeah, I take special pleasure of hunting down the asshole wheeled German scouts and killing them.   The one that kills me is the Wirblewind, I shouldn't have to fear a fucking AA gun from the front in my Pershing!

52 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I have some amazing screen shots too, lol!

Yeah, I take special pleasure of hunting down the asshole wheeled German scouts and killing them.   The one that kills me is the Wirblewind, I shouldn't have to fear a fucking AA gun from the front in my Pershing!

Ya, the fucking german 20mm that can run all-tungsten all the time and shows up at tier 1. So fucking historically accurate.

5 hours ago, Toxn said:

So, to amuse myself I sometimes think what game I'd rather play in the same genre, and what I've come up with so far is something sim-esque in the same way, but divorced from historical teams and vehicles. Preferably where you could put together components (at least to a limited extent). And where you'd get rewards based partly on how hard you've handicapped yourself (kind of like the system used in Brigador).

So, basically, WoT in the WT engine but with a handicap system where your rewards (XP, currency) are higher for taking out underpowered vehicles.

I had an idea like that: a game where you could modify WWII vehicles in a cross-out kind of way, and bring those in, like a Sherman with a KV-2 gun and other such nonsense. Of course, I can never do anything about it, because I am inept at such things, but I think it would be fun to chop and mod vehicles like that. 

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

Ya, the fucking german 20mm that can run all-tungsten all the time and shows up at tier 1. So fucking historically accurate.

Pz.2c is the most OP vehicle (per tier) in the game, absolutely crushes reserve and low BR tanks. Only thing that can make them run is the T-50 at top BR. 

2 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I had an idea like that: a game where you could modify WWII vehicles in a cross-out kind of way, and bring those in, like a Sherman with a KV-2 gun and other such nonsense. Of course, I can never do anything about it, because I am inept at such things, but I think it would be fun to chop and mod vehicles like that. 

Pz.2c is the most OP vehicle (per tier) in the game, absolutely crushes reserve and low BR tanks. Only thing that can make them run is the T-50 at top BR. 

Whole German tree seems like easy mode when you play them. Yet German players still whine about them. 

In a recent battle, I was in a M4A2 76W tank, and had taken shelter inside a building to avoid air power, and once he was right outside, I drove through the all and shot him in the side. It made all the shit games for a week worth it lol. 

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.56.40-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.56.57-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.29-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.38-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.40-1600x900.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Whole German tree seems like easy mode when you play them. Yet German players still whine about them. 

In a recent battle, I was in a M4A2 76W tank, and had taken shelter inside a building to avoid air power, and once he was right outside, I drove through the all and shot him in the side. It made all the shit games for a week worth it lol. 

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.56.40-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.56.57-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.29-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.38-1600x900.jpg

http://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/shot-2020.11.29-14.58.40-1600x900.jpg

That's the joy of balancing by player performance rather than inherent stats - if the players are a pack of drooling idiots then your 90km/h/fully traversing turret/100+mm pen gun/sub-4 second reload vehicle ends up palling around with the SAu-40 while the 3" gun carrier is nearly a full BR higher.

It's just one of the many, many factors I was talking about.

36 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

I've been playing planes at 2.0-2.3 Arcade and to be honest it's a lot of fun just derping around in a big giant furball in a Spitfire.

Huh. I decided to try a bit of ground forces arcade, and it's also been fun. Not even better game-wise, but at least I don't wish screaming death on the developers.

I think the higher overall speeds (which balances the speed meta from RB at bit) and lack of choice in aircraft options (which removes the german go-to of dropping a satan on your head) makes things a bit better. Also, the implementation of spotting mechanics (however shoddy) helps to remove the issue of people dropping settings to see through foliage. So you're not constantly getting nailed by invisible enemies.

Again, ground RB is like an anti-game at the moment. Change literally anything and it inexplicably becomes better.

I’ve started to notice a really heavy power creep in the “blue water” fleets; even ships that are 0.3 BR lower can be significantly outmatched when simply not top tier. 

Also, USN tree is the way to go, the Porter / Somers can spit out 4.5 tons of ammo every minute, while most nations can’t reach 3 tons with a max crew. 

9 hours ago, Toxn said:

Huh. I decided to try a bit of ground forces arcade, and it's also been fun. Not even better game-wise, but at least I don't wish screaming death on the developers.

I think the higher overall speeds (which balances the speed meta from RB at bit) and lack of choice in aircraft options (which removes the german go-to of dropping a satan on your head) makes things a bit better. Also, the implementation of spotting mechanics (however shoddy) helps to remove the issue of people dropping settings to see through foliage. So you're not constantly getting nailed by invisible enemies.

Again, ground RB is like an anti-game at the moment. Change literally anything and it inexplicably becomes better.

They changed the view system in Arcade? Not being able to sneak around is the worst aspect of Arcade. 

15 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

They changed the view system in Arcade? Not being able to sneak around is the worst aspect of Arcade. 

You can sneak, but it's hard (you can't let you silhouette show). Thankfully the average player has no object permanence, so moving cover to cover works.

Another thing I realised that arcade has going for it: no nations. This helps to balance things out a bit too.

• 2 weeks later...

So after dicking around a bit in arcade, I found a reliable formula for fun(tm):

- Play British, queue up the Cromwell IV (the lowest-tier one with the 75mm).

- Load up a few rounds of smoke, with one in the tube to start.

- Rush to the nearest cap and throw smoke at the enemy as you get there.

- Switch to AP and start going to town on sides and rears.

- Keep throwing smoke from your mortar as you doodle around knife-fighting everyone.

- If the cap stops being fun, run off somewhere else and repeat.

Copious smoke makes for a wealth of fun tactics: my favourite right now is to throw smoke around a corner and then go around the other way while my opponents are obsessively firing into it.

Quick update: the IJN received the Hyuga (Ise class battleship) this update, giving them the biggest and most guns of all the nations; 12x 14 inch guns. Would’ve though they would introduce the Kongos first, being battlecruisers like the recent Von der Tann and HMS Invincible. 

• 2 weeks later...