Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

I think I know what's going on. The Charioteer is very picky about where you have positioned it. It has no elevation, and no depression. It needs to be in a location that accommodates that.

Problem is, when I drive it, I spend all my time looking for places like that, and get task saturated and become unable to actually play the tank.

I do not know how to fix this, other than to just stop being terrible at the game.

Needless to say, I'm pretty buttsore that I bought this thing instead of the Cent 7/1/AX.

I'm generally a very agressive player, but that didn't work in the Charioteer. It's a great tank imo but you really need to know where the enemy is before you lay waste to them. I usually camped in the back with it for the first few minutes. Get an idea of where everybody is going, where the enemy is and what their crossfire spots are. Avoid those (d'oh). When you have an idea of where they are, you can plan your assault. You can either stay a bit behind your mediums, which is a great way to provide a good amount of fire support without getting focussed. Or you can try to lead the charge. This is a little trickier because you need to be aware of both your and your enemy's weak and strong points.

I myself preferred to stay behind the mediums a bit and provide fire support. The Conway on the other hand... I just yolo forward with that thing.

I'm generally a very agressive player, but that didn't work in the Charioteer. It's a great tank imo but you really need to know where the enemy is before you lay waste to them. I usually camped in the back with it for the first few minutes. Get an idea of where everybody is going, where the enemy is and what their crossfire spots are. Avoid those (d'oh). When you have an idea of where they are, you can plan your assault. You can either stay a bit behind your mediums, which is a great way to provide a good amount of fire support without getting focussed. Or you can try to lead the charge. This is a little trickier because you need to be aware of both your and your enemy's weak and strong points.

I myself preferred to stay behind the mediums a bit and provide fire support. The Conway on the other hand... I just yolo forward with that thing.

My problem's more nuanced than that. It's a micro problem, where I am spending a lot of time scooting back and forth to get the hull's orientation just right so I can make a shot.

All my good games in the thing so far have been ones where I just happened to find a spot like that early that wasn't somewhere the enemy could just spot me and blast me to bits, and I sat there and shot everything.

I guess since WoT is a "no backsies" type game, I just have to learn to play this thing right instead of complaining that I'd rather be in a Cent...

I think I know what's going on. The Charioteer is very picky about where you have positioned it. It has no elevation, and no depression. It needs to be in a location that accommodates that.

Problem is, when I drive it, I spend all my time looking for places like that, and get task saturated and become unable to actually play the tank.

I do not know how to fix this.

Buy a medium with no gun depression. I'd say get a T-34-3 but that's getting -5 with the next patch. Mediums are a great way to learn maps because you can change position quickly. Not enough gun depression? Quickly drive to another spot. With heavies and most TDs you're more or less bound to the spot you first picked. You can drive away, but you're risking more than with a medium.

I personally have no problems what-so-ever with a lack of gun depression, but that's more or less because I have played hundreds of matches in tanks with only 3 degrees of depression.

Buy a medium with no gun depression. I'd say get a T-34-3 but that's getting -5 with the next patch. Mediums are a great way to learn maps because you can change position quickly. Not enough gun depression? Quickly drive to another spot. With heavies and most TDs you're more or less bound to the spot you first picked. You can drive away, but you're risking more than with a medium.

I personally have no problems what-so-ever with a lack of gun depression, but that's more or less because I have played hundreds of matches in tanks with only 3 degrees of depression.

I already have a Charioteer which is mediumesque. Also the T-34-3 is not in the store...

It looks like -6 is maybe the cutoff for me. It's also worth noting that several times the lack of elevation was fucking with me, too.

Je Suis Arl44!

Arl44Good_zpscqjri87p.png

Arl44Good2_zpsfow2ab0v.png

Half of my team went Noob Valley and a couple of the fail tards had the Gaul to back sass me when I told them not to. My team's scouts got destroyed on the middle road and I spent most of the time brawling in the city while avoiding and counter sniping their tanks who had gotten the superior position in the middle road. When Noob Valley collapsed, I had to drag my ass back and put out that fire. Then I drove up the middle to flank their three remaining tanks. Got a shot off, retreated back to base and killed a capper, then used my armor and angling to bounce a KV and a their SU-152 in one last skirmish at the base.

God I love the gun on this tank.

Edit: As always, I've found players have their greatest games when you have a team full of windowlickers and - maybe - one or two decent guys.

I already have a Charioteer which is mediumesque. Also the T-34-3 is not in the store...

It looks like -6 is maybe the cutoff for me. It's also worth noting that several times the lack of elevation was fucking with me, too.

You should check your WG account about the T-34-3 being "not in the store".

Yes, that's why I said "most TDs". Still, I'd rather not drive around too much in a boxy paper tank.

I just wanted to prove you wrong.  :ph34r:

They never removed it. They did remove a few other tanks with preferential matchmaking, but the T-34-3 was too shit to be overpowered even with pref mm.

Or so they say. I like my T-34-3.  :D It will be even better with 5 degrees of gun depression. What's not to like about 390 alpha damage on a medium with -5 depression?

Having not played in 18 months, I'm dismayed that a lot of my favorite maps have been ruined by taking away shooting lanes where a good player can exploit his knowledge if spotting and camo mechanics. I have to relearn new spots.

Also, not to be a conspiracy theorist, but the MM on games this holiday weekend has been shitasstick with the vast majority of matches ending in blowouts. I know the failtards love playing on the holidays but I keep marveling at how many people insist on dying before two minutes expire and a third of the team is gone before I've gotten more than a shot or two off.

Arty play seems fair but I only play my Hummel.

I do like WT, there are just a few gripes that hard to overlook.

The economy and the way the tanks handle are among the things that irritate me. Being insta-glibbed in my T-34-57 by a Pz.IV H through the gun mantlet at <1500 meters is another one. 

The only armored vehicles I've ever driven are M113 variants and a Bradley, which are both in the same weight range as some of the tanks in the game. Tracked vehicles just don't handle that way. 

I do like WT, there are just a few gripes that hard to overlook.

The economy and the way the tanks handle are among the things that irritate me. Being insta-glibbed in my T-34-57 by a Pz.IV H through the gun mantlet at <1500 meters is another one. 

The only armored vehicles I've ever driven are M113 variants and a Bradley, which are both in the same weight range as some of the tanks in the game. Tracked vehicles just don't handle that way. 

Employ better Maskirovka comrade  :P