Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Food and Putting it in Our Faces

It's a horned melon.

It tastes like a cross between a cucumber and a banana.  If I could find a way to get the juice out and filter out the seeds, it would be just the thing to go with vodka with a bit of lemon.  So far though, I have had no luck.  It's not like a citrus fruit where the flesh is made up of little juice-containing corpuscles that can be smushed.  Instead, the juice seems to be dissolved into this gelatinous matrix that is extremely difficult to damage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While this is mostly archaeological news, 13,000 Victorian era food containers were discovered near a construction site.

Among the consumables was jars of jam and marmalade, "Picalilli pots", and bottles of mushroom catsup.

Mushroom catsup.

The horror.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-38586525

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 8:34 PM, Collimatrix said:

Recent experiments:

IdDfbbO.jpg

08MozcK.jpg

B93SDqF.jpg

L4crWB7.jpg

Isn't horned melon a jelly melon? This makes me think that the best way to do it would be to boil the flesh, filter the seeds and what-not out of the hot liquid and make jelly cubes to stick into your drink.

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Been making a lot of bread lately. Got the recipe pretty set for this altitude. I'll have to grab some pictures.

Do you have the same problem we do where altitude plus low humidity makes it impossible to get a sourdough starter going?

On 3/19/2017 at 10:22 PM, Toxn said:

Do you have the same problem we do where altitude plus low humidity makes it impossible to get a sourdough starter going?

Never bothered with a sourdough. Just getting my loaf recipe dialed in. 

I'm making another batch tonight. I'll try to grab pictures. 

But while I was cooking dinner, I decided to try to experiment with a new salsa recipe. 

yAztDYM.jpg

Shit picture cause my phone had a stroke. But I used the following ingredients with quantities.

ginger, about half a modest root

Tomatillo, 3

Fresno pepper, 2

Poblano pepper, 1

garlic, 4 cloves

purple onion, 1/2 

salt and sugar to taste.

Turned out flavorful, sweet, spicy, hot, and I feel like the body will develop overnight.

Thank you @Collimatrix for the jar.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...