Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the F-35 thred.

Belesarius

On 1/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, Collimatrix said:

In the olden days an Admiral would torpedo his own Career to keep a bad system down. 

Not that I think the F-35 is bad, it just came to mind with the NavAir crying about it not being their plane.

Elements of Power describes Trump's involvement with the reduction in the F-35's price as a bit of clever showmanship that leverages the media's obsession with all things Trump to force a new perspective on a program that they've loved to hate.

By the way, Elements of Power is a heavyweight aerospace engineer.  I highly recommend his piece on energy maneuverability theory.

7 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

Interesting. 

However I'm trying to make sense of this paragraph which was kind of thrown away towards the end of the article.

"Also, the F-35s can gather the threat information and pass it to those less fortunate fourth-generation aircraft or, Watkins told us, “we can use stealth, jamming etcetera to get in a lot closer to these threats than anyone else can get.”

So - if my interpretation is correct - the F-35 will be able to get in closer and then can pass along tactical info and targets to - let's say - F-18s, F-15s, F-16s and what not that can be held further away the danger zone, where they can essentially be used as missile trucks to hit what the F-35 is seeing.

3 hours ago, Donward said:

Interesting. 

However I'm trying to make sense of this paragraph which was kind of thrown away towards the end of the article.

"Also, the F-35s can gather the threat information and pass it to those less fortunate fourth-generation aircraft or, Watkins told us, “we can use stealth, jamming etcetera to get in a lot closer to these threats than anyone else can get.”

So - if my interpretation is correct - the F-35 will be able to get in closer and then can pass along tactical info and targets to - let's say - F-18s, F-15s, F-16s and what not that can be held further away the danger zone, where they can essentially be used as missile trucks to hit what the F-35 is seeing.

Secure datalink is magical.

Having the smarts to have your weapons and sensors all using a similar baseline system,  and programmed to talk to the same computer? Fuckin' genius. Of  course there is a shitton of coding behind that.  The F-35s software is truly one of the scarier parts of the plane.

All indications from the pilots and commanders at Red Flag are that the F-35A performed far better than recent reports from the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation seemed to indicate.

Although they don’t have an updated figure, the pilots told us that the F-35 kill ratio was higher than the 15-1 figure they initially reported.