Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the F-35 thred.

Belesarius

I think one of my favorite articles about the F-35 was a couple of Marine Captains training... And the General gave them a training exercise that would have taken 2 Squadrons of F-18E/Fs, with a risk of combat losses.  And 4 F-35s did the mission and it was literally childs play for them to it. 2 clean config, 2 weapons boats.

I was a pretty hardcore critic of the F-35 for a long time.  But man, it's come a long way in a short period.

I can't believe people still claim A and B variant are "handicapped" because of B's lift fan. Is googling "F-35 variants" so flipping hard?!

I mean, it may have been a funny meme once upon a time, but by god has it overstayed its welcome.

edit:

I've decided to make this and leave it here, maybe someone might find it useful.

Spoiler

0ZCj8Ej.png

1 minute ago, Collimatrix said:

If any variant is handicapped it's the C, thanks to the larger, less swept wing.  The wing does give it an edge in subsonic turn rates, and more importantly carrier landing characteristics, but it also screws up the area ruling and makes transonic drag rise happen earlier.

No, it has better wing loading, therefore better at everything.

/s

• 2 weeks later...

The ROK Navy is considering modifying the Dokdo-class LPHes for F-35B operations

The tender calls for a research project to explore the possibility of operating F-35B stealth aircraft aboard its amphibious landing ship following some modifications.

The ROK Navy has two Dokdo-class amphibious assault ships: ROKS Dokdo lunched in July 2005 and commissioned in July 2007 and ROKS Marado which was launched in May this year and is set to be commissioned in 2020. Both were built by local shipyard Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction (HHIC) in Busan.

Following the nose gear collapse, another F-35 had a bird strike

"A bird strike involving an F-35A Lightning II was identified upon completion of a training mission yesterday just after 12:00 p.m.," Airman First Class Daniella Pena-Pavao, spokeswoman at the 33rd Fighter Wing, told Military.com Thursday in a statement. The Northwest Florida Daily News first reported the incident.

"This incident was unrelated to the ground mishap involving another F-35A assigned here," Pena-Pavao saidt.

Following the strike, maintenance personnel conducted "a thorough inspection" and determined the aircraft sustained no damage," she said. The pilot was unharmed, officials said.

"Any day now"

http://airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2018/August 2018/Two-Years-On-Goldfein-Says-Operations-Show-F-35-a-Game-Changer.aspx

Among the newest Block 3F F-35s, Goldfein said squadrons are turning in mission capable rates of 80 percent, which is higher than USAF standards and far better than aircraft at this level of maturity. 

Comparing notes with his counterpart, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller, Goldfein said both are seeing the same readiness levels “at home and deployed.” 

I thought DOT&E said there's no way fleet-wide availability can rise any time soon?

VFA-125 F-35C damaged after ingesting debris from aerial refueling basket

The engine of an F-35C from Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 125 was damaged while receiving fuel from an F/A-18F Super Hornet from VFA-103 on Aug. 22, Navy officials confirmed to USNI News. Debris from an aerial refueling basket was ingested into the F-35C’s engine intake, resulting in the damage, Naval Air Forces Atlantic spokesman Cmdr. Dave Hecht said on Tuesday.

Both fighters were able to land safely – the Super Hornet flew to Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., while the F-35C returned to Lincoln. No injuries were reported and the incident is currently under investigation, Hecht said.

Damage to the F-35C was reported as a Class A mishap – the most serious type for a military aircraft. An incident is classified as Class A when an aircraft suffers more than $2 million in damage, is totally destroyed or involves a serious or fatal injury to the aircrew. The damage to the F-35 was above the $2 million threshold, Hecht said. A new F135 engine for the JSF costs about $14 million, according to the most recent contract award to engine builder Pratt & Whitney.

The Super Hornet was also damaged but was reported as a Class C mishap because there were no injuries and the total estimated cost of damage to the aircraft is between $50,000 and $500,000, Hecht said.

What I find most interesting is that one of the primary arguments against the 35C was that it's single-engined and therefore vulnerable to engine failure.

And yet here we have an incident which totalled the engine, but the aircraft landed onboard intact.

Modern engines may be quite a bit more resilient than they look at first glance.

http://now.eloqua.com/es.asp?s=966913078&e=388924&elqTrackId=4c85114565b64dab9d00441ca5178163&elq=53b262b2a3874aed80027b081cce41d7&elqaid=16343&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=13994#1

Non-paywalled version of Aviation Week's How F-35 Experience Could Reduce Hurdles To Developing Fighters, read and scrape while you can

• 2 weeks later...