Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the F-35 thred.

Belesarius

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

"we have an inferior product and cannot compete"

Hah

At least one firm has expressed unhappiness that the requirements emphasize the ability to carry out first strikes on targets abroad, a strength of the F-35, said the sources.

"It's unfair to expect a fighter jet to fight, ours are ideal for recent wars in afghanistan NO STOP LOOKING AT THAT TUCANO"

In May, Ottawa changed the rules to allow Lockheed Martin to submit a bid, prompting Boeing to take the unusual step of announcing publicly it was surprised.

"We tried to twist their arm into excluding lockmart on a technicality, but it didn't work"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://news.usni.org/2019/08/23/marines-considering-flying-u-s-f-35bs-off-of-japans-largest-warships

Officials in Tokyo have requested Marines deploy F-35B fighters aboard Japan’s largest warships, a U.S. defense official confirmed to USNI News on Friday.

The service is now studying the feasibility of deploying short take-off vertical landing (STOVL) fighters from JS Izumo (DDH-183) and JS Kaga (DDH-184), Japan’s 24,000-ton big deck amphibious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys, this is F-35 bash "thred". I think you had lost your way on your way to 31 page. So I will add some good old fashioned hatred back into this thread!

F-35 is only good as an export piece in a day of shrinking budgets. F-35 is bad aircraft in every field. As a air superiority fighter it is bad. As ground attack aircraft it is bad. As close air support aircraft it is bad. As interceptor it is a bad aircraft. Any new aircraft specializing in any of those roles would easily demonstrate how inadequate F-35 is. The only thing which its defenders cling to is that this is the only new generation aircraft and thus they can directly compare it to older generation aircraft head to head like A-10 and say it is not all that bad. That is not only unfair, but also shows how deep divide is between same generation planes like F-22 or Su-57 and F-35 in air superiority role. F-35 is nothing more as an export piece designed to be acceptable and able to perform any role and thus drive costs down by allowing one plane to do all the roles instead of having several more specialized planes doing their own each thing. F-35 is jack of all trades and a master of none and thus I despise it for it. Sadly, due to lack of investment in R&D in modern day we are rather starved for choice. Only now minor nations are starting their own fifth generation aircraft programs and they are highly uncertain affairs with questionable possible results. There isn't anything better to purchase at the moment than F-35 and thus we all have to acquire this expensive travesty. I would much rather buy F-22 or Su-57 in its stead and use 4'th generation aircraft to do all other tasks.

FME-20Jan08-PAG.pngJSF-Issues+Problems-2011-Master.png

F-35-comparison.jpg

Source: http://www.ausairpower.net/jsf.html

Though source is a little bit older and F-35 might became little less shit during two decades of development, but it still highlights why I dislike this aircraft. It is just so limited when compared to more specialized aircraft.

It is funny how critique and discussion is handled on this site. Being clever means mindlessly posting pictures and random bits of information. Ironically, in a thread meant to critique said aircraft...

That being said, I was thinking what aircraft would I order myself for hypothetical nation's needs. I do tend to lean towards F-35 myself as it is the best available aircraft at the moment and it does offer quite a lot by comparison. Sadly, it flew way past some people heads when I had mentioned that this aircraft was designed for export, not around its own combat performance. I also had mentioned that currently there isn't anything better to procure than F-35.

It is not source's date which matters, but its content. Major points of critique towards F-35 will never go away no matter how much time will pass. I did mentioned that some things would be fixed by now like total cost of an aircraft for an example was somewhat remedied and a lot of smaller issues were fixed. The major problem with F-35 is that its development had dragged on for so long that what was cutting edge and deadly back when it was supposed to come out had became ordinary today. F-35 had lost its edge and its competitors had catched up through decades worth of development which we spent merely ensuring what we were supposed to have actually functions properly. Now, the major factor why we do not procure F-22 or Su-57 is because we often can't do that due to political reasons. We procure F-35, because it is most readily available aircraft. F-35 comes in a day when jet fighter development had stagnated. There isn't anything much on the market outside 4'th gen ++ aircraft. F-22, Su-57, J-20 are specialized and often are politically blocked from being sold on the market. F-35 wins by default, because there is no actual competition for it. That might be a win for some, but for me it is rather sad. It is like getting a participaction medal, it is more insulting than flattering. 

Here, an article from 2020. This confirms analysis of my previous source and validates it. It was designated as high risk investment which is not worth trouble and this aircraft had successfully managed to live up to that.

A new document obtained by the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) shows that the F-35 program office has made little progress in fixing the fighter jet’s hundreds of design flaws, and continues to discover more of them. The Joint Strike Fighter Program Office’s Deficiency Report Metrics document, dated February 28, 2020, shows the program is currently dealing with 883 unresolved design flaws—and has no plan for correcting over 160 of them.

More than half, 448 deficiencies, remain “open, in dispute.” This means pilots or engineers believed they found a problem, but the contractors tasked with fixing the problems are claiming no problem exists. Multiple sources inside the F-35 program told POGO that the default response from the program’s prime contractor, Lockheed Martin, to any identified shortcoming is to say that the company’s design meets contract specifications, and that any further changes can only be made with a contract modification. In other words, the contractors will not fix the design flaws until the government pays for the changes. More worrying are the 162 deficiencies listed as “open, no planned correction.”

According to the document, officials are waiting to correct 10 design flaws until future modernization projects. The document also shows that engineers have identified solutions for 273 flaws, but they remain open either because more funds are needed to fix them or more testing is required to make sure the corrections worked.

So in other words, we will be in for another decade until this lemon matures. It doesn't mean that equipment is bad in terms of unusable or useless. It is bad in terms of being mediocre and disappointing. This is what lemon means.

https://www.pogo.org/investigation/2020/03/f-35-design-flaws-mounting-new-document-shows/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/01/not-a-straight-shooter-dod-review-cites-fleet-of-faults-in-f-35-program/

19 minutes ago, Calicifer said:

So in other words, we will be in for another decade until this lemon matures. It doesn't mean that equipment is bad in terms of unusable or useless. It is bad in terms of being mediocre and disappointing. This is what lemon means.

10 years to get this baby ready! 

50162181523_defae2f298_z.jpg

49 minutes ago, Calicifer said:

It is funny how critique and discussion is handled on this site. Being clever means mindlessly posting pictures and random bits of information. Ironically, in a thread meant to critique said aircraft...

It's funny how you completely failed to notice the thread's title is ironic, or that nobody likes you because you're a dolt.

Maybe you should read again how this thread had started. People were talking quite critically about aircraft until it devolved into posting pictures and random information. I had added some more substance which I was missing in this thread. You also had completely failed to notice my sarcasm when I had said at the start of my comment:

Hey guys, this is F-35 bash "thred". I think you had lost your way on your way to 31 page. So I will add some good old fashioned hatred back into this thread!

22 minutes ago, Calicifer said:

Maybe you should read again how this thread had started. People were talking quite critically about aircraft until it devolved into posting pictures and random information. I had added some more substance which I was missing in this thread. You also had completely failed to notice my sarcasm when I had said at the start of my comment:

You know nothing of this thread or this website. You know little of anything at all. Substance! A joke, a jest, a surprising modicum of wit! It must be. It certainly isn't anything else!