Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Identify the vehicle thread

Not exactly the same concept as the WoT forums or elsewhere, I figured this would be the place to post something unknown so as to get others' help in identifying it. Could be identifying the tank itself, a particular modification, , where the picture might have been taken, a user or unit, etc. I'll go first:

vIkLLH5.jpg

Obviously this is a Centurion with an 105mm L7, which is what perplexes me. It's not Israeli, as Israel didn't experiment with camouflage on their tanks until sometime in the '80s. And the presence of the 105mm L7 means this isn't during the Suez crisis in 1956 either. So where is it? And is it British, Australian, or some other country using it?

I'm pretty certain it's a Centurion, not a Vickers MBT.

I'm pretty sure it's a Vick. Mantlet's totally wrong for a Cent.

Keep in mind, they re-used a lot of ancillaries from the Cent for the Vickers. The stowage boxes, skirts, etc.

Oh, fuck, it could be a Mark 13, now that I think about it.

I'm pretty sure it's a Vick. Mantlet's totally wrong for a Cent.

Keep in mind, they re-used a lot of ancillaries from the Cent for the Vickers. The stowage boxes, skirts, etc.

Oh, fuck, it could be a Mark 13, now that I think about it.

The turret's too tall to be that of a Vickers MBT, and the roadwheels aren't spaced correctly for the Vickers either. Here's a video of a running Centurion that looks damn enar identical to the one in the photo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3TzZrEKIb0

I'd call it a Cent Mk. 10.  Not seeing any IR equipment or mounting for it to be a Mk. 13.

I did come across another picture, with Centurions bearing similar camo wading ashore from a landing craft, but all the caption said of relevance was that they were performing exercises in the Middle East. 

• 2 weeks later...