Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

No, FFS, Imperial Is Not Defined By Metric

Sturgeon

OK, here's a myth that I've actually heard so much I've found myself repeating it from time to time. "In fact, Imperial units don't have their own standards, and are simply defined by their relation to Metric units". Turns out, it's bullshit!

Or, at least, in some point in history they had their own standards.

Imperial System Uber Alles. Since it actually is designed in a way for humans and our primitive ape brains to quickly grasp units of measure instead of having your entire system based on the property of water and how much volume and weight it takes up.

The method of defining the measurements is largely irrelevant to how useful they are.

The ease of dividing by 2, 3, 4, 6, or 12 on the other hand...

Imperial System Uber Alles. Since it actually is designed in a way for humans and our primitive ape brains to quickly grasp units of measure instead of having your entire system based on the property of water and how much volume and weight it takes up.

From the outside it just looks like an exercise in trying to juggle ungainly fractions.

Metric system = best system.

Given that we live on a big giant sphere, being able to use fractions and numbers divisible by 3, 6, 60 or 360 comes in handy. Also having built stuff with my own hands, knowing the handy tricks of the imperial system makes building a shed easier.

But most of all I rebelled as a kid against the propaganda that "LOL, the Imperial/English system is just based on parts of a dead king" when, no, there are real and legitimate reasons it is used.

Given that we live on a big giant sphere, being able to use fractions and numbers divisible by 3, 6, 60 or 360 comes in handy. Also having built stuff with my own hands, knowing the handy tricks of the imperial system makes building a shed easier.

But most of all I rebelled as a kid against the propaganda that "LOL, the Imperial/English system is just based on parts of a dead king" when, no, there are real and legitimate reasons it is used.

Must have been a big king. 

OK, here's a myth that I've actually heard so much I've found myself repeating it from time to time. "In fact, Imperial units don't have their own standards, and are simply defined by their relation to Metric units". Turns out, it's bullshit!

Or, at least, in some point in history they had their own standards.

Who the hell ever came up with that idea?

"Imperial standards" have been around longer than the metric system by a huge margin.  Even the current standardized imperial dimensions predate the Metric system IIRC.