Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Scale Models Megathread

EnsignExpendable

Mostly intact. Looking around, I am missing a few bits here and there (periscopes from the Marines M4A2, PE for the Firefly, at least). 

Also I got a ScaleMates account so I don't have to copy and paste from SA anymore. Have Kolobanov's KV-1E

244557-o.jpg

Those miniature tankers seem perplexed as to exactly where the hell they're at. I guess some things are universal.

Haha, I see what they did, they straight up lifted the images from the M4A1 instructions, squeezed step 1 and 2 together and proceeded to step 3. Sadly here the rear plate also magically appears in the rear of the hull without any sawing or anything, which appears impossible.

Edit: egg on my face, the Firefly's H sprue was in the M4A1 box (as it was marked M4A1!) and the piece in the Firefly box was from something completely different that wasn't used in the assembly at all. Oops!

lol, that's really my bad, but it was kinda hard sorting through all the stuff, and like an idiot, I got stuff mixed up. 

So your working on the Firefly now?  I would say the biggest drawback to the dragon Shermans is how the lower hulls work, with kind of a mishmash from several generations of Sherman kits, and still using hull extensions make one basic hull tub work with most of their Sherman kits. Once you get to the suspension, upper hulls and turrets, the Dragon kits are much better. 

One bogey fell off on the Marines one, but it seems easy to repair. I'll probably do that one next.

The Red Army one is intact sans drive wheels, but it looks like those were never glued on.

yeah on the partial builds check inside the hulls, I think I put a lot of the already built, bits inside them for safe keeping.   Did the Pershing and Tiger make it more or less intact, plus the Sherman with the tracks and decals on? Oh and did you find the cool little hinge maker/handle bender tool I threw in one of the boxes? The instructions for it should be in the box too. 

Yup, I found the hinge thing, that's going to come in super handy, thanks. The Tiger is mostly complete (barrel broke in half, one exhaust cover missing). I found the Firefly decals/PE sheet, it was also in the M4A1 box. Also lots of unidentified decals. What kits are the huge tiger (?) mouth and "Thunderbolt" logo from? Those are badass.

Sneak peek of the first of the tanks that Jeeps sent me: the Cyber Hobby Firefly Ic Hybrid:

1sqgMof.jpg

o0rnprq.jpg

vyjlzk0.jpg

My lighting setup is kinda shitty, so most of the photos turned out way too dark. I bought some translucent plastic to disperse the light to reduce glare like in proper photo box, and turns out the lamp on the right is not at all strong enough to shine through it at respectable power. I shouldn't have bought a fancy LED lamp.

Here's my proud American-built shelf.

Kl5EMMT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fun as a part of the April crapkit challenge on the SA forums. This time, the theme is crapcar: any of the 1:32ns Owner's Club series of budget grade 50-60s Japanese cars.

It's time for Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

n0WLyUMl.jpg

j1oCv14l.jpg

W5LXR0Bl.jpg

Um59ALJl.jpg

But with a quick addition of an anti-tank gun, it turns into the Waffentrager auf Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

pkpz1jql.jpg

It's good that the ramp thing on the rear gate limits the traverse of the gun, since the trails can't deploy all the way anyway.

HnRikeWl.jpg

Commubot helpfully displays the underside of the vehicle. It's quite nice, aside from the four very obvious screws holding the thing together. If you really care about the underside of your crapcar, filling in the holes would be difficult.

lNisDIml.jpg

Commubot readily defeats his foes.

Putting the kit together was surprisingly painless once I cleaned up the hilariously huge flash plastic. I didn't bother with the interior since it was sealed off anyway, but you get some cabin details with levers and the steering wheel and such. I got lazy with the paint, giving the car a coat of green and then a coat of rust red with the silly putty method to imitate basic camo on a primer sort of effect. Sadly, while it's easy to leave off the rear tires and the spare until you're done painting, it's impossible to pull off the same trick with the front tire.

Very cheap, not too shitty, and a lot of fun to build: the perfect crapkit choice. 10/10 would build crap again.