Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Russian Soldiers on trial for fleeing Ukraine service.

It's interesting how the article on Gazeta.ru mentions the fact that they ran off due to terrible training conditions (insufficient heating, insufficient water, sleeping "on boards on the ground"), but the DefenseNews.com one does not.

Also the actual stuff about being sent to the Ukraine seem largely hearsay: "I arrived to Kadamoskiy [proving grounds] on October 14th. The guys there were gathering up cigarette butts, pointlessly digging and filling up holes all day. There were rumours that we would be sent to the Ukraine, we waited for orders for a week, but in the last second it was cancelled."

There are a few examples in the article like this, in every case the soldier in question fled because they were afraid of being sent to the Ukraine, not because they received orders to do so and did not wish to act on them. Tynchenko's statement that he refused to follow "unlawful" orders is stated in the English article, but they don't mention what the order actually was as they do in the Russian one. The order was to go to Rostov oblast, not to the Ukraine.

I guess things have really changed since I trained with Russian soldiers. They all seemed professional and wanted to be doing what they where doing. I'd have fought next to everyone guy I worked with.

The only veterans I have in the family served during Soviet times, so  I'm not sure how training is done for new soldiers in Russia? Are these new soldiers being sent to an existing army base in Rostov for training?  Are they already trained and being deployed to that part of the country for whatever reason? 

I guess things have really changed since I trained with Russian soldiers. They all seemed professional and wanted to be doing what they where doing. I'd have fought next to everyone guy I worked with.

The only veterans I have in the family served during Soviet times, so  I'm not sure how training is done for new soldiers in Russia? Are these new soldiers being sent to an existing army base in Rostov for training?  Are they already trained and being deployed to that part of the country for whatever reason? 

No Crashbot, from what ive heard, and Loosever can back me up on this, the Russian infrantryman still is a very professional one

Its just that there are always a few bad apples in every T-72 tree 

They are being sent to Rostov for training, but apparently all they're doing is digging and filling up holes in the article, the butt of many Soviet era jokes.

Every army is the butt of that joke.  I've swept dirt motor pools, spent an entire day making sure a line of vehicles were parked in a straight line, etc.  

Sounds like these guys just didn't like being in the army.