Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

On 2/7/2019 at 3:37 AM, Karamazov said:

Russian armored vehicles and tanks with installed laser training system

Z3nZebla1E4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DIgZTph28Hc.jpgIh2BbdZLSpc.jpghoeWkyCvgpA.jpg

Soviet LISP

T-55 with LISP, incomplete on the photo (Laser Simulator of Shooting and Hit). 181th tank regiment, Yavorov.
Probably "Shield 76"

1775616_original.jpg

Spoiler

1776243_original.jpg

1776734_original.jpg

Modern: http://rusbitech.ru/products/tks/lisp/

links stolen from Andrey's LJ.

12 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

T-90M footage

Actually impressed for a change.

The commander's station definitely looks quite comfortable even by western standards, and I'm a long time proponent of high prioritization of ergonomics as a cheap way to increase crew efficiency.

The turret also looks different, but it may be just the paint scheme.

Leaves plenty to be desired, but I still like it a lot.

Massive upgrade. Finally something that is indeed modern. Stupid T-72B3 upgrades should be stopped immediately, and more T-90M should be built from the saved money. Fewer modern tanks are far better than shitloads of totally obsolete trash. T-72B3s then could be wasted on tank biathlon en masse.

I even go as far that Armata should be also abandoned in favor of the T-90M. Add an APS to the T-90, then the Armata will have zero advantages over it. In fact, it will be inferior thanks to its huge unarmored turret.

9 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

Massive upgrade. Finally something that is indeed modern. Stupid T-72B3 upgrades should be stopped immediately, and more T-90M should be built from the saved money. Fewer modern tanks are far better than shitloads of totally obsolete trash. T-72B3s then could be wasted on tank biathlon en masse.

I even go as far that Armata should be also abandoned in favor of the T-90M. Add an APS to the T-90, then the Armata will have zero advantages over it. In fact, it will be inferior thanks to its huge unarmored turret.

This crap could be sorted out in 1990s with adoption of finished Object 187 as T-90 and if MoD aimed to get less but better tanks. This T-90M upgrade will unlikely to be adopted in such numbers as B3s, simply because they can't put big numbers of "modern" weapons adopted for service in X year.

14 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

/.../

The turret also looks different, but it may be just the paint scheme.

/.../

Turret is different from T-90A (and not only by bustle box). It have a "step" on a roof to increase space inside (hello, additional weakspot).

Can be sort of visible here, covered by upper row of ERA blocks
analiz_tanka_T90MS_13.jpg

Spoiler

t-90ms-1.jpg

1 hour ago, heretic88 said:

Well, not exactly zero, obviously, considering that t90m still has upper frontal plate, position of driver, and engine/transmission  quite similar to t72, or t64 (and all that thanks to Kharkov attempt to fulfill request of fitting than-next-generation tank into 36 metric tons).

I guess it's still smth like 96 man-hours to remove or change engine, isn't it?

16 minutes ago, skylancer-3441 said:

Well, not exactly zero, obviously, considering that t90m still has upper frontal plate, position of driver, and engine/transmission  quite similar to t72, or t64 (and all that thanks to Kharkov attempt to fulfill request of fitting than-next-generation tank into 36 metric tons).

I guess it's still smth like 96 man-hours to remove or change engine, isn't it?

I think the weakspot in front of the driver isnt that big deal. On the other hand, the difficulty of engine change is indeed a problem. I wonder what engine the T-90M uses... Looks like there are troubles with the V92S2F in the latest T-72B3... http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2019/02/723.html

5 hours ago, heretic88 said:

I think the weakspot in front of the driver isnt that big deal

Still, dissatisfaction was there, and all the way back it 1964 (prototype was built 2 years later) Chelyabinsk proposed (second version of) object 775 without such weakspot. Although they achieved that partly because driver was not in hull.
first and second version of 775:
vw5TzXx.jpg

But in 1975 they came up with Object 785 which reportedly lacked that weakspot too, and this time driver was in hull
(in a reclining position -  someting that apparently was tested all the way back in 1962-1964 on modified t-54s and pt-76;
nLIqsDX.jpg
wjM0Rft.jpg
something that was proposed on first version of 775; and something that finally could make its way into Russian Army with Armata only now, decades later... along with steering wheel.
Which is another thing (lack of thing) they were not satisfied with for decades, all the way since T-54s and T-10s in 1950s,  which is why Object 770 has it's motorcycle-type steering wheel:
EcOBHdK.jpg)

And then over the last 45 years there were at least 7 more projects without that UFP weakspot, with T-14 been like 8th one.

3 hours ago, skylancer-3441 said:

Which is another thing (lack of thing) they were not satisfied with for decades, all the way since T-54s and T-10s in 1950s,  which is why Object 770 has it's motorcycle-type steering wheel:

Now this is what I absolutely do not understand... Why "steering wheel" or T-bar or anything like that necessary? Steering a tracked vehicle with levers is just as easy. I know from experience: steering a T-55 or MTLB is not harder than a BMP-1. Not more uncomfortable in any way. Maybe its just that Im a heavy equipment operator, and Im used to it. This steering method is still used in industry too, like the larger CAT dozers, although you use your fingers in those. Or the skid steer loaders. H-pattern control, quite similar. (actually, I like it more than ISO or T-bar)