Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

13 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I keep hearing talk of this 105mm smoothbore (and the British 110mm smoothbore), but I have never seen anything on these weapons. 

Off the top of my head:

105mm Smoothbore was a German weapon.  I think it's this one on the Keiler prototype:
DsXfbDy.jpg

There was a later Rheinmetall 105mm that was rifled, essentially a roided-up L7 that fired stub-cased APFSDS and maintained backwards-compatibility with existing stocks of L7 ammo.  That strikes me as a decent idea.

The Brit 110mm was a rifled weapon and it was, by circuitous path, a halfway point between the L7 and L30.  Yes, you read that correctly.  There is a round of the ammunition on display in Bovington.

The 110mm was a post-L11 design.  The idea was, initially, to simply take an L7 and neck it out, just as the L7 was a necked-out 20 pounder.  The pressures were cranked up a bit, but this caused case sticking.  The gun was changed to a stub-cased design, and ultimately to a bagged case design similar to the L11, but with a new (and much better) breech sealing design.  Some iteration of the 110mm was tested as armament for the Abrams, but rejected.  The breech design was eventually recycled and used in the L30 120mm gun on the Chally 2.

There's a little bit about it in this book, but otherwise what I've been able to learn about it is from scattered discussions around the interwebs.

6 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Off the top of my head:

105mm Smoothbore was a German weapon.  I think it's this one on the Keiler prototype:
DsXfbDy.jpg

There was a later Rheinmetall 105mm that was rifled, essentially a roided-up L7 that fired stub-cased APFSDS and maintained backwards-compatibility with existing stocks of L7 ammo.  That strikes me as a decent idea.

The Brit 110mm was a rifled weapon and it was, by circuitous path, a halfway point between the L7 and L30.  Yes, you read that correctly.  There is a round of the ammunition on display in Bovington.

The 110mm was a post-L11 design.  The idea was, initially, to simply take an L7 and neck it out, just as the L7 was a necked-out 20 pounder.  The pressures were cranked up a bit, but this caused case sticking.  The gun was changed to a stub-cased design, and ultimately to a bagged case design similar to the L11, but with a new (and much better) breech sealing design.  Some iteration of the 110mm was tested as armament for the Abrams, but rejected.  The breech design was eventually recycled and used in the L30 120mm gun on the Chally 2.

There's a little bit about it in this book, but otherwise what I've been able to learn about it is from scattered discussions around the interwebs.

Thank you - I always value when you explain something, as it’s usually descriptive, yet understandable to my feeble mind :D 

For the German 105 smooth: I knew it was mounted on the Leo 2K and other prototypes before the actual Leo 2, but any specifics were always missing, or conjecture. I didn’t know about the “roided up L7” though; does sound like a good idea, though it is still rifled. 

I may have misread about the Brit 110, I remembered it as a rebore’d L7 to remove the rifling so it could fire better ammo, while still fitting in current L7 armed vehicles. I guess I should have known that was too good an idea for the post WWII British MoD; not the worst idea those wistful crones have forced upon their army, but still disappointing. 

Anyway, thank you again, Colli, and let’s get back to Soviet tanks and their transversely mounted engines! 

first part of T-62 trials, 20mm DM43 

Bk-0ni3uidc.jpg

_Kbgbh2r3Bw.jpg

ZK0jDwjFz0I.jpg

zqMMbG7YwT0.jpg

Nkyq_Ge14r0.jpg

alFLcDJgzk4.jpg

iOSeef5GiJ8.jpg

RMBctZikAGk.jpg

azA64rlFf4g.jpg

5hbNyxaijNc.jpg

lcaSJySxWrg.jpg

JxuplqNyf20.jpg

tpCBTWtWJhM.jpg

5V8wUh6-sz4.jpg

GZJarxHC9RI.jpg

y25obDABXpA.jpg

8qGzQ0sJfZI.jpg

uVwRlRHHfZ8.jpg

cHwmtZY4G8w.jpg

maybe german speaking members could help with term "Sicherheitskurve" ? it's protective thickness curve(min.required thickness to protect from specified type of ammo, speed and angle) or penetration of round curve ? and "sicher/nicht sicher" is really safe/not safe ? 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, skylancer-3441 said:

Shouldn't then all ramps in AFVs have that problem?

They do to a degree, but it is far low in the list of problems of AFVs so nobody cares, i guess. It is just strange for me to see ladder on inside part of a door where there is clearly a space for external ladder that can offer "cleaner" enviroment for a driver.

1 hour ago, Xlucine said:

Doesn't look too bad, most MBT's need the driver to stand on the seat as he enters after all.

Before than drivers do several steps on other parts of a tank, leaving some of their dirt before getting to their working space, unlike this door-ladder.

Well, Im not sure if it is the right place to put this.

A dutch guy bought an iraqi Type-69 tank (actually a pile of rust), and decided to restore it with the help of his friends. Despite not professional tank restorers, they do an amazing job, actually better than some more famous museums around the world. They took it apart completely, and restore it piece by piece. They have lots of videos, these are just some examples. Maybe we should have a thread for tank restorations (of course not only this) if there is interest?

The original sad state of the tank (I think the guys saved it from the arc furnace in the last minute. It is so badly rusted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI32WUfkqtg

And now:

On 5/26/2019 at 10:14 AM, Wiedzmin said:

first part of T-62 trials, 20mm DM43 

Hide contents

Bk-0ni3uidc.jpg

_Kbgbh2r3Bw.jpg

ZK0jDwjFz0I.jpg

zqMMbG7YwT0.jpg

Nkyq_Ge14r0.jpg

alFLcDJgzk4.jpg

iOSeef5GiJ8.jpg

RMBctZikAGk.jpg

azA64rlFf4g.jpg

5hbNyxaijNc.jpg

lcaSJySxWrg.jpg

JxuplqNyf20.jpg

tpCBTWtWJhM.jpg

5V8wUh6-sz4.jpg

GZJarxHC9RI.jpg

y25obDABXpA.jpg

8qGzQ0sJfZI.jpg

uVwRlRHHfZ8.jpg

cHwmtZY4G8w.jpg

maybe german speaking members could help with term "Sicherheitskurve" ? it's protective thickness curve(min.required thickness to protect from specified type of ammo, speed and angle) or penetration of round curve ? and "sicher/nicht sicher" is really safe/not safe ? 

Sicherheitskurve means that above the curve you will get complete perforation, on the curve it may be partial perforation and below you will have no perforation.

1 hour ago, Gun Ready said:

Sicherheitskurve means that above the curve you will get complete perforation, on the curve it may be partial perforation and below you will have no perforation.

@Wiedzmin BTW from whom did you got this old stuff of 1975? It was classified secret and filed by BWB KG III 4 (protection referate).