Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

12 hours ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

That sounds like not really usefull test in the first place, i was under impression that there should be plenty of data about T-55 in US. Hell, T-84s with Drozd APS were sold to US, why bother to test T-55s?

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

That sounds like not really usefull test in the first place, i was under impression that there should be plenty of data about T-55 in US. Hell, T-84s with Drozd APS were sold to US, why bother to test T-55s?

I was wondering this too. I can only imagine it would be useful if they were

testing some updated fire control system that’s being used on T-55s in Syria or Libya but I’m not aware of any. 

7 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

5 hours ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

I was wondering this too. I can only imagine it would be useful if they were

testing some updated fire control system that’s being used on T-55s in Syria or Libya but I’m not aware of any. 

It is doubly baffling because it was ancient BK-5M ammo they were firing - they weren't even trying to verify a new ammo type or change to the gun.

13 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I can't help myself but to me it looks like a camouflage to hide an accident during some fun shooting. 

Hey, MT-LB may be put to rest, finally. It is possible it will be replaced with JGBT-LB MGTT-LB.

The new multi-purpose tracked tractors MGTT-LB and MGSH-LBU, which are modifications of the oldest of the Russian Federation Ground Forces vehicles of this class MT-LB, will be shown for the first time at the Army 2020 military-technical forum. This was reported by RIA Novosti with reference to the press service of JSC Remdiesel.

“At the upcoming Army expo, we will for the first time demonstrate the modernized MGTT-LB and MGSh-LBU crawler tractors, which were worked on as part of the "Reconstruction" experimental design work on the tactical and technical assignment of the Russian Defense Ministry. As a result, we were able to increase such indicators as mobility, protection, ergonomics, handling, payload and firepower, ” said the company representative.

It is known that prototypes of modernized machines of Remdiesel JSC have already been manufactured and are being tested.

The Army 2020 forum will be held from August 23 to 28, 2020 at the main exhibition site of the Russian Ministry of Defense, the Patriot Park.

QsLPgh4.jpg

https://avia.pro/news/egipet-pokupaet-u-rossii-500-tankov-t-90ms-za-156-mlrd-rubley

Egyptian authorities concluded a deal with Russia to supply Egypt with 400-500 T-90MS tanks. The cost of one combat unit is estimated at 314 million rubles, which indicates that the total transaction amount is about 156 billion rubles, which is a colossal amount.

“Moscow and Cairo signed a contract for the supply of 400-500 T-90MS tanks for the Egyptian army. The agreement provides for the transfer of technology and the organization of joint production of military vehicles in Egypt. This was announced on June 26, 2020 on Facebook by the Minister of Transport of the country, Major General Kamel al-Wazir. The organization of the production of T-90MS will allow Egypt to acquire technologies for creating tanks and armored vehicles, enriching the already existing experience in the joint production of M1A1 Abrams tanks with the American side, which has been ongoing since 1992, the minister wrote. Al-Wazir stressed that this deal will provide an opportunity to significantly increase Egypt's military power in the region, making it the largest operator of T-90MS tanks. At the same time, Egypt will be the first state to simultaneously produce Russian and American tanks, ” reports the Reporter.

12 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Hey, MT-LB may be put to rest, finally. It is possible it will be replaced with JGBT-LB MGTT-LB.

QsLPgh4.jpg

Would this possibly be complimenting the number of Kurganets in service, perhaps seeing more use in remote or "lower intensity" areas in the country?  The vehicle weighing about half that of the Kurganets might be worth something in that regard.

Alternatively, could this be another case of the army procurement decision makers getting antsy and choosing upgrades of existing vehicles over newly developed ones?

So army is receiving the BMP-1AM. Yes, agree, this is horrible.

But lets play with the idea a little bit. OK, army needs those old, obsolte BMP-1s modernized, what to do?

My idea:

1, keep the original turret! 

2, develop better ammo, main point is greatly improved accuracy. Also a better HE-FRAG round.

3, add a new sighting system, with thermal imager and a LRF. 

4, add stabilization to the turret, and a simple FCS.

5, replace Konkurs ATGM with Kornet, one tube on either side of turret

6, - option, if still fits into budget - add an elevated platform to the turret, and mount an independent commander's sighting system

In my opinion, this would be far superior to the current abomination.

BMP1AM upgrade is a joke . 

BMP1 biggest issue is thin armor ,  all western APC let alone IFVs have these days allround 14.5mm protection with add on armor, and 20+mm over frontal arc .while you can still destroy the BMP-1 with  modern 12.7mm AP rounds at angles outside frontal 60°. And any opponent will likely have ither 23 or 25mm cannon 

Also lacking night fighting capabilty , western armor greatly outclasses Russian armor in terms of optics and thermal vision

Unmanned turret could save weight  and space inside

18 hours ago, Scolopax said:

Would this possibly be complimenting the number of Kurganets in service, perhaps seeing more use in remote or "lower intensity" areas in the country?  The vehicle weighing about half that of the Kurganets might be worth something in that regard.

Alternatively, could this be another case of the army procurement decision makers getting antsy and choosing upgrades of existing vehicles over newly developed ones?

MGTT-LBU is replacement for MT-LB, a general purpose towing tractor/tracked vehicle for everyday work / secondary "jobs". MT-LBs were used for so lond because they have their role and niche, and army wanted something similar, but new and in production.

General Director of Military Industrial Company LLC (VPK LLC, part of the GAZ Group) Alexander Krasovitsky told the RIA Novosti news agency about the creation of a military-industrial complex of a new light armored vehicle Strela with a 4x4 wheel arrangement.

... the mass of the car was 4.7 tons, which is half the mass of the machines of the "Tiger" family. Strela also has ballistic protection, capable of withstanding shots from AK-74, AKM and SVD rifles. The maximum speed on the highway reaches 155 kilometers per hour.

....anti-mine protection of an armored car allows you to save the lives of the crew when mines or explosive devices are detonated under the wheel with a capacity of up to two kilograms in TNT (against 600 grams for the "Tiger").

According to him, "Strela" is designed to transport people and various goods. The car can be used as an operational service vehicle for special units of executive authorities. It can also be equipped with weapon systems and special equipment.

Krasovitsky emphasized that components of the Arrow are used domestically or produced in Russia.

Chassis and manual gearbox are from GAZ, frontal wheels have spring suspension, rear are leaf springs. Cabin internals use GAZ Next parts as well. Strela uses parts unified with Atlet and Ural VPK.

fcM28cw.jpg

Spoiler

krAKNLf.jpg

LeFs8gn.jpg

QRmqWnA.jpg