Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

In august of 2016 i was in 61st BTRZ (Tank repair factory near St. Petersburg) and made photos of T-72B Modernized for Nucaragua. Looks like 61st now repair T-80BVs.

A7AKl23_yBw.jpg

Your country Is made very clever think - it's refreshing reserve tanks. It's the same story like whit T-72B3 and B3M - for modernisation where takens tanks whit 0km resurs from army stock and those tanks where modernisated to T-72B3 and B3M, and present in active service tank are...rebuild and turned to "0km" resurs and sent to...reserve as mobilisation stock.

More or less Russia have more then double tanks to mobilisated in compare to active tankt fleet. When we count central army mobilisation stocks then we have in Russian 3x more tanks then in active fleet + some "rubishied" tanks in deeper reserve - like T-64BW for Doniecks People Republic in 2014 oraz T-62M for SAA now.

It's stiil more then 10k tanks. 

13 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

d6AZUf2Za9c.jpg

PGzApVZy9A8.jpg

More photos:

Reveal hidden contents

dVsNP847AjU.jpg

BQxk6PuiulA.jpg

MMjsYJZnuxQ.jpg

bSFCPxKDxRA.jpg

LjCBw17Wdm0.jpg

How much does this model differ from the T-72B?  It looks visually the same to me, sans the the missing Kontakt-1.

On that note, I really like the look of an ERA-less T-72B.  However, you could hardly ever find any images of such.  Now I have figured out why.  To quote Tankograd's T-72 page:

Before we go into detail, be reminded that the T-72B is always outfitted with Kontakt-1, and the 1989 variant is always outfitted with Kontakt-5. Only a few T-72Bs went into service without Kontakt-1, and those were the ones that were used during Victory Day parades. Pausing to think, though, I can see no reason why those T-72Bs were not fitted for Kontakt-1 after the parade was over. Or perhaps they were special parade models that were never meant to be used in combat. 

14 hours ago, Scolopax said:

How much does this model differ from the T-72B?  It looks visually the same to me, sans the the missing Kontakt-1.

On that note, I really like the look of an ERA-less T-72B.  However, you could hardly ever find any images of such.  Now I have figured out why.  To quote Tankograd's T-72 page:

T-72A never had any ERA, especially in 1983-85. IIRC T-72As had sand rod instead of NERA in turret and T-72A and B models frontal hull armor layout was different.

T-72B3. Another indication how cheap-ass it is can be seen on thermal imager armored housing - the "shutter" on previous models were opened remotely by gunner from inside the vehicle, while in this case optics of thermal imager are covered by armored plate just on 4 bolts.

uqyuWf-ug9Q.jpg

I suspect that soon we will see T-72B3 with Relikt in videoreports from Army training. News report said that one of units near Moscow received new version of T-72B3 tanks with new engine, Relikt ERA and so on.

Soratnik UGV

0ksVL.jpg

Nakhlebnik and Soratnik

zPE4J.jpg

Eskadron 

jCNV8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

I wonder how well that ERA will work if it's at that angle.  Still, it's probably better than nothing.

The angled ones are pretty much at the angle they're supposed to be at, although maybe a little too steep. And I'm assuming they know how to mount them right side forward, if they don't, the sandwiches are more or less horizontal in that position.

The ones just bolted to the turret face don't do much indeed.

2 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

As you may recall, the flyer element in kontakt-1 is mounted at an angle within the tile.  So even mounted flat like that it may do something against frontal hits, though probably it will not perform optimally.

Yep, also notice the double sandwich, so the HEAT jet is always interacting with one at an angle. IircNATO tests the effectiveness of ERA at a 60° angle, so I guess that's (near) optimal.