Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

An okay looking T-60 reproduction. The markings are eh... overly patriotic I think. 

https://youtu.be/FriIV9ma0hg

This is a puzzler:

"Since every gear on the T-80U has a fixed turn radius, the tank has to be driven on the lowest gear to be able to make the tight turns, and it gets a result on par with the strv 104 despite being capable of much higher speeds."

The only way the gear that the tank is in would affect turn radius is if the T-80U has a double or triple differential steering system with a single-speed steering drive.  That would be exactly equivalent to what the centurion has.  Why are they complaining about it being primitive?  It would only compare unfavorably with the steering on the abrams and leo 2.

I thought complaining about Russian things being primitive when the West has the same technology was par for the course :P

This is a puzzler:

"Since every gear on the T-80U has a fixed turn radius, the tank has to be driven on the lowest gear to be able to make the tight turns, and it gets a result on par with the strv 104 despite being capable of much higher speeds."

The only way the gear that the tank is in would affect turn radius is if the T-80U has a double or triple differential steering system with a single-speed steering drive.  That would be exactly equivalent to what the centurion has.  Why are they complaining about it being primitive?  It would only compare unfavorably with the steering on the abrams and leo 2.

At that point they had already more or less decided to buy either the M1A1 or the Leo 2, and while they're comparing against the Centurion, the real benchmark is the Leo 2. The reason they were comparing against the Centurion in the first place was probably a political thing. They had been yelling for a new MBT for at least fifteen years at that point and only gotten some mild Centurion modernizations instead, so I'm pretty sure a lot of the testing was intended to go "look, we really would have been fucked if the Russians came knocking, just see how much better their gear was in the 80's".

Aha, that makes sense.  I was thinking it was that the T-80 was fast enough that even double-differential steering was seen as inadequate.

Strv-104 is a centurion that's upgraded to Israeli specs IIRC.

I really would like to get a definitive answer on the steering systems in Soviet tanks post T-62 some day.

sedDDcuK9fM.jpg

February 14, 1988. This is evidence of battle was made by South African soldier on the border with Angola. BMP "Ratel" during operation "Hooper" suddenly stumbles upon T-54B tank, belonging to MPLA (Liberation Forces of Angola). Crew of the "Ratel" managed to shoot three times, and managed to destroy it.

sedDDcuK9fM.jpg

February 14, 1988. This is evidence of battle was made by South African soldier on the border with Angola. BMP "Ratel" during operation "Hooper" suddenly stumbles upon T-54B tank, belonging to MPLA (Liberation Forces of Angola). Crew of the "Ratel" managed to shoot three times, and managed to destroy it.

Where did you find this?