Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Fun fact: the T-72 uses the "AZ" autoloader, and "AZ" stands for "Avtomat Zaryazhaniya", literally meaning automatic loader. They were not very creative with names. The failure rate of the AZ autoloader as of 1971 was 1 per 448 loading cycles, which was equivalent to the barrel life of 600 EFC of the 2A26M2 cannon when a couple of high pressure APFSDS rounds were mixed into its usual diet of HE-Frag and HEAT. As a rule, the autoloader would be inspected and refurbished whenever the cannon had worn out its barrel. This was convenient, because the 2A26M2 did not have a quick-change barrel. You had to lift up the turret to pull the entire cannon out, and once the turret was off, you might as well do some work on the autoloader anyway.

Edited by Iron Drapes
grammar

14 minutes ago, Iron Drapes said:

Fun fact: the T-72 uses the "AZ" autoloader, and "AZ" stands for "Avtomat Zaryadnoye", literally meaning automatic loader. They were not very creative with names. The failure rate of the AZ autoloader as of 1971 was 1 per 448 loading cycles, which was equivalent to the barrel life of 600 EFC of the 2A26M2 cannon when a couple of high pressure APFSDS rounds were mixed into its usual diet of HE-Frag and HEAT. As a rule, the autoloader would be inspected and refurbished whenever the cannon had worn out its barrel. This was convenient, because the 2A26M2 did not have a quick-change barrel. You had to lift up the turret to pull the entire cannon out, and once the turret was off, you might as well do some work on the autoloader anyway.

AZ means "Avtomat Zaryazhaniya" and it is not some sort of official designation of autoloader variant used in T-72/90s.  

6 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

AZ means "Avtomat Zaryazhaniya" and it is not some sort of official designation of autoloader variant used in T-72/90s.  

A Ukrainian friend told me that "Zaryazhaniya" was grammatically wrong, but yes, the manual does indeed call it "Avtomat Zaryazhaniya". Product code of the autoloader is probably not AZ, but it is called AZ in the manual. 

58 minutes ago, Iron Drapes said:

A Ukrainian friend told me that "Zaryazhaniya" was grammatically wrong, but yes, the manual does indeed call it "Avtomat Zaryazhaniya". Product code of the autoloader is probably not AZ, but it is called AZ in the manual. 

That friend is wrong on this subject, "Avtomat Zaryadnoe" is wrong as second word form does not match meaning of the first word.

58 minutes ago, Iron Drapes said:

That friend is wrong on this subject, "Avtomat Zaryadnoe" is wrong as second word form does not match meaning of the first word.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:14 AM, LoooSeR said:

Driving is hard

7AN5-f8MLgI.jpg

I looked about like the guy manning the pkm in the instant before my skid steer finished nosing forward and somersaulted into the quite deep open pit we had been excavating on that night the backlot of the tire recycling plant i was working at went up in flames...

I remember hanging there staring straight down into that damn pit for what felt like eternity just waiting for the pain to start!

LOL good times

40 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Phantom IS-3 sightings were incredibly common. For instance:

5510_600.png

2 years later, and they still haven't gotten their hands on one.

Here's a phantom IS-3 sighting from before IS-3s were even in service.

Before the battle that nearly took my life, we were informed of a new Russian tank, the Josef Stalin III, that weighed forty-six tons and fired 122 mm projectiles. Because of its thick (120 mm), sloping armor, our 75 mm rounds would simply bounce off its skin unless we hit it from the side at a very close range. When I fired at the T-34 in the valley, I wasn't aware that there were a number of those monsters waiting two kilometers away at the edge of the forest. No sooner had I pulled the trigger than the Russian behemoth began firing.

It may have had issues with transmission reliability and the pike welds, but the IS-3 did a wonderful job of scaring people.