Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Failures in Historic/Scientific/Military Journalism

This thread will be dedicated to BS news articles about historic, scientific, and military topics. Most journalists don't seem to be too worried about reporting facts and findings, but rather cherry-picking statements in order to get the most views. 

Recently a lot of news sites have been reporting on a new "mini ice age" that scientists are predicting. That isn't really what they seem to be what Prof Zharkova's research suggests, it is that the sun has two dynamos which is interesting in its own right. They then suggest that the solar activity(sunspots, which have very little to do with solar output) will be low like during the "Little Ice Age"(which is itself a complex topic that most journalists don't understand), it is not suggested that temperatures will drop. 

Social media has made it even worse. Poorly researched, badly written, or completely inaccurate stories seem to be on a persistent "heavy rotation" on places like Facebook.  

Some of it is funny like some Forbes writer stating that the F-35 is the "greatest combat aircraft in history" while ignoring all the issues about the aircraft. Hey we are actually building them, so "smashing success."

I don't hate on the F-35, but to call it that is asinine at the moment. 

For some reason journalists are terrible when speaking/writing anything about military gear, even shovels. T-14 exposed a lot of that cr@p recently. For maximum giggles i suggest to read Ukrainian medias/journalists and bloggers about T-14/Armata.

For some reason journalists are terrible when speaking/writing anything about military gear, even shovels. T-14 exposed a lot of that cr@p recently. For maximum giggles i suggest to read Ukrainian medias/journalists and bloggers about T-14/Armata.

But they know everything about the Armata from the ones they captured from the battle Buryats. No, you cannot see any photos, my cellphone battery died.

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/2012/07/wwii-myths-t-34-best-tank-of-war.html

the worst thing about it, is that this is becomming an accepted truth on my armor forums, for the same reason that Death Traps became popular, becuase it goes against the traditional AFV truths

and even less people will speak out, so it appears only the fringe of Russian nationalists like me and EE are the only ones to appeal this tank simply becuase its Russian, such things only add fuel to the shit fire 

"every anecdotal piece of evidence has long ago proven that the gas-impingement system of that rifle is imperfect because there’s not a firm connection for the operating system to move in one piece."

I like this quote. Tappet systems are not halal!

Just go onto the I fucking love science website.

A site that is so unashamedly bad, they made a parody of it (ifl.org) and nobody noticed.

The comment sections of those full of edgy stoner atheist keyboard philosophers gives me a real kick 

Not journalism, but Trump is the latest victim of using the wrong military in their media. Trump used SS troops in a tweet, which reminds me of the Russian Navy cameo at the DNC in 2012. I

Oh my god i saw the tweet

trump-pic.jpg?w=1000

hahahahahaha

Vice news is guilty of much worse sins than excepting the SS myth, which has been propagated by pretty much anyone who wasnt directly involved in world war 2, i.e. armchair generals on the history channel