Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Apollo Contingency Question: CMP Incapacitation

A question that's been at the back of my mind for a while now.

Suppose that while two astronauts are on the moon, the command module pilot becomes incapacitated for whatever reason, and is unable to operate any spacecraft systems. Assuming that the command module is still intact (or at least functional), can the occupants of the lunar module survive?

Taking off from the moon and rendezvousing with the CM shouldn't be an issue. The LM has its own onboard radar system for guidance, and sufficient fuel in the ascent stage to dock even if the CM performed no maneuvering. However, I have been unable to determine if getting a complete dock and actually opening the hatch could be performed entirely from the LM without assistance from the CM.

That's the conclusion I've been getting for what I've read recently. I checked out a copy a Failure is not an Option, and it doesn't mention anything about simulating or even developing procedures for cmp death. I'd still like to see some hatch blueprints or a definitive written statement, though.

That's the conclusion I've been getting for what I've read recently. I checked out a copy a Failure is not an Option, and it doesn't mention anything about simulating or even developing procedures for cmp death. I'd still like to see some hatch blueprints or a definitive written statement, though.

IIRC I got my info from Slayton and Shepard's book "Moon Shot".

Cannot check it  to confirm as it's boxed up in prep for a move.

Good luck though, and if you find out for sure let us know.